Kings Canyon Weekend: 8/21 – 8/23

Kings Canyon Weekend: 8/21 – 8/23

Forums Rides Kings Canyon Weekend: 8/21 – 8/23

• Creator
    Topic
  • #12664 Reply
    Ron Zablocki
      @ron-z

Bill Allen has reserved campsites at the Stony Creek Campground in Kings Canyon, with room for 18 people and 12 motorcycles. Ron Z. will be leading the Friday ride up to the Comfort Inn & Suites in Three Rivers. The group will depart Panera Bread in La Canada, Flintridge at the bottom of the Crest @ 8:30 AM. If you want food or coffee before departure, get there earlier.
      Bill Allen is planning a Saturday ride from the Stony Creek Campground to Road’s End with a stop at the Grant’s Tree in the Park, and anyone can join do this ride.
      I also have a Saturday Kings Canyon loop planned that also does Grant’s Tree and Road’s End, but is a longer loop route that will start at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Three Rivers, and on the return trip pass by the Campground then back to the Comfort Inn & Suites. Anyone is also welcome to join this ride.

Attached are the GPX and PDF route files for the weekend.
      Note: The Day 2 (Sat) route info is for the Kings Canyon loop ride that I’ll be leading, and not what Bill Allen will be doing.

Jessie Vaca and myself are staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites. However, there are also other hotel options in the Three Rivers area:
      Three Rivers Hotel Options

This is going to be a fun weekend, and look forward to seeing everyone!

Viewing 56 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #12669 Reply
        Alan DeCarr
        Participant
          @adecarr

Thanks Ron. Count me in on this one. Fyi, I went on the choicehotels.com website and joined their “club” while making the reservation. No charge to join and very simple form to complete. I then entered the request for AAA rate and came up with a room for $157.50/night vs the $175 standard reservation. Saved a few bucks…hey, first drink is on me:). Not sure if that is the standard AAA rate, or was discounted by joining the club, but if you have AAA, AARP etc a discount is offered. Thanks for the route planning. Alan

• #12688 Reply
          Eric Wolf
          Keymaster
            @wolf

Ron and Bill,
            Thanks for all of the work planning this weekend. Good job. I’m looking forward to it.

• #12704 Reply
            Ed Taylor
              @etaylorrisksolutions-inc-com

Count me in also. I would like to share the camp site if there is still space. I love Kings Canyon.

• #12705 Reply
              Erasmo Brenes
              Participant
                @erasmo-b

Stoney Creek Campground is in the Sequoia Nat Park, not in Kings Canyon. To get to Kings Canyon entrance, there are further 13mi (to Grant Grove) or 9.5mi to Park entrance (and another 40mi to the end of Kings Canyon).

• #12707 Reply
                  Bill Allen
                  Blocked
                    @lucky

Hi, Erasmo. Actually, Stony Creek Campground is in the Sequoia National Forest in between Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park, although I don’t know why that matters.

• #12706 Reply
                  Erasmo Brenes
                  Participant
                    @erasmo-b

We’re still planning on joining this ride. Looking forward to seeing the bears 🙂

• #12716 Reply
                    Joe Alwan
                    Participant
                      @jalwan

I’m in. Bill, can you put me down for one of the campsites?

• #12719 Reply
                      Karl Wagner
                      Participant
                        @sharons-hubby

Hi Bill Allen,
                        We may get up to the campsite a day or two early to do some hiking, can you share the site numbers you have reserved so we can check thier availability?
                        Thanks,
                        Karl and Sharon

• #12753 Reply
                        Ed Taylor

Just completed reservations for Three Rivers Comfort Inn. Originally I was camping, but a new member to the group, Scott Roney, will be sharing the room with me.

Bill, Please take me off the camping list. I will be rested and less cranky when you see me!

Thanks Ed

• #12758 Reply
                          Bill Allen
                          Blocked
                            @lucky

Hi, Karl and Sharon!

Sites 42, 43 and 45.

• #12759 Reply
                            Bill Allen
                            Blocked
                              @lucky

Hi, Karl and Sharon!

Sites 42, 43 and 45.

• #12765 Reply
                              Karl Wagner
                              Participant
                                @sharons-hubby

Thank you Bill!

• #12766 Reply
                                Steve Leo
                                Participant
                                  @steve

Bill,

Please count me in on a camp site spot. 1 person/1 bike. I want one with the built-in air mattress!!

• #12815 Reply
                                  Ron Parsons
                                  Participant
                                    @chiefinski

I just joined the club a few minutes ago, and I plan on joining you on the Sequoia ride. If there are any campsites left, I’d appreciate getting on the list for one, and so would Harry Hoffman. Please let me know any steps I need to take to get on that list, short of going on a Snipe hunt. 😊 Thanks!

Ron Parsons

• #12817 Reply
                                      Bill Reitz
                                      Participant
                                        @bill-r

Hi Ron, go to the top of any page on the right side and find the MEMBERS section. Click on it and sign up on the RIDE LIST, that’s a tool that the person putting on an event uses to figure out how many people are attending.

• #12819 Reply
                                          Ron Parsons
                                          Participant
                                            @chiefinski

Thank you Bill. That was very helpful info and I have now done what you recommended. I appreciate it!

Ron

• #12816 Reply
                                        John Crittenden
                                        Participant
                                          @john-c

Hi, Ron—-I’ll be sending you a separate email welcoming you to the Club. Great on the Sequoia ride!

Re. Harry—-This is a club-sponsored ride, and Harry would need to be a member (I don’t believe he is), as the Club subsidizes camping.

• #12820 Reply
                                            Ron Parsons
                                            Participant
                                              @chiefinski

Thanks John, I did receive your email and I’m working on my questionnaire now. Really looking forward to the Sequoia ride!

• #12818 Reply
                                            Harry Hoffman
                                            Participant
                                              @harry3gsa

Hi John,
                                              I see that Ron Parsons requested a camp site for us. Can 2 tents and bikes fit in 1 site? Please let us know if there is anything else that we need to do to secure our site or lodging. Thank you.
                                              Also, I am a dues-paying member now! Looking forward to great riding for this Kings Canyon weekend!

• #12822 Reply
                                              Bill Allen
                                              Blocked
                                                @lucky

Hi, Harry.

We have 3 sites which can hold 18 people and 12 bikes. Make sure you are signed up on the ride list.

• #12826 Reply
                                                Warren Belkin
                                                Keymaster
                                                  @wbelkin

I would plan to camp if a site is available. 1 person, 1 bike. Thx.

• #12866 Reply
                                                  Steve Leo
                                                  Participant
                                                    @steve

Bill,

Do you have the plans for the campers completed…routes, meals, etc. I saw Ron’s info for those staying in 3 Rivers but not for the campers.

Thanks,

• #12869 Reply
                                                    Michele Stone
                                                    Participant
                                                      @stonemichele

If room allows Michele and Troy Stone would attend and camp. 2 bikes. We did sign up on ride list.

ThanK.

• #12881 Reply
                                                        Brandon Wilson
                                                        Keymaster
                                                          @brandon-w

Michelle,

I have your award from last years mileage contest. I will give it to someone to get to you. I was going, but due to some family medical issues I am backing out.

Thanks,
                                                          Brandon

• #12872 Reply
                                                        John Crittenden
                                                        Participant
                                                          @john-c

From my count, which may be wrong, we have about 15 campers thus far. Although some I counted as campers may be hoteling.

I am looking at possibly staying over an extra day (Sunday). If anyone is interested, I’m sure there will be a site available.

• #12875 Reply
                                                          Bill Allen
                                                          Blocked
                                                            @lucky

More details on the campout:
                                                            The campsite is Stony Creek Campground, officially in the Sequoia National Forest between Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park on Highway 198. Our campsites are 42, 43 and 45. Fees for the campsite are $15/person/night. If you have to pay for parking, deduct that from the fee and turn in your receipt for parking. If you are going, please sign up for the ride list. If you can’t go, please remove yourself from the ride list. Officially, there is room for 18 riders/campers and 12 motorcycles. Depending on the Ranger, we may have to park some of the bikes in a remote area. Regarding meals, you are on your own. If you cook in the campground, be sure to bring extra to share. There is a restaurant (and showers!) about a half mile away at Stony Creek Lodge. Plan on being bear aware! Keep all food and other items with an aroma (toothpaste!) in a bear box that is latched. Thank God bears do not have opposable thumbs!

• #12876 Reply
                                                            Ron Zablocki
                                                              @ron-z

Hey Bill – I just called the Stoney Creek Lodge. The restaurant will only be available from 4-7 PM, and the only menu option is pizza that you can “build your own”. Also, showers are not available for campers. Though the Lodge itself has reopened, and rooms are available now. The showers are available for those staying at the lodge’s rooms.
                                                              Just an FYI for the campers – so they don’t get surprised.

• #12877 Reply
                                                              Scott Roney
                                                              Participant
                                                                @scott-r-roney

This will be my first ride with the group. Really looking forward to it!

• #12878 Reply
                                                                Ed Taylor

Good to see you posting. Welcome to the group. Kings Canyon here we come. Ed

• #12880 Reply
                                                                  Bill Allen
                                                                  Blocked
                                                                    @lucky

Thanks, Ron.

• #12895 Reply
                                                                    Steve Leo
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @steve

Ron, is there a creek or river nearby since there are no showers?

• #12896 Reply
                                                                      Ron Zablocki
                                                                        @ron-z

Hey Steve – You’ll need to check with Bill on that as he’s been doing the camping arrangements, and I’m not that familiar with the area.

• #12897 Reply
                                                                        Ed Taylor
                                                                        Moderator

Welcome our NEW member Gary Butler. The Kings Canyon ride will be his first trip with us! Great to have you part of this tribe. Ed

• #12898 Reply
                                                                          Ron Parsons
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            @chiefinski

Welcome Gary from El Segundo. It’ll be my first ride with the Club also. See you then!

• #12916 Reply
                                                                            howard Bland
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @howard-bland

Room for Howard Bland on the ride? Will stay at lodge.

• #12917 Reply
                                                                                Ron Zablocki
                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                  @ron-z

Hey Howard – glad to have you along. Make sure you sign up on the ride list. Most of us hoteling are staying in Three Rivers at the Comfort inn & Suites. It’s also a cheaper option than the Lodge, but that’s your call.

• #12930 Reply
                                                                                Ron Zablocki
                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                  @ron-z

Hey everyone – I was going over my previous Day 1 (Friday) route, and realized that the campers wouldn’t get to the Stoney Creek Campground until around 6:30 PM. This doesn’t leave much time for the campers to get their tents and everything else set up, and still grab dinner (if they wanted) at the Stoney Creek Lodge before they close @ 7 PM. So I’ve created a slightly shorter route that gets the campers to the campground just before 5 PM.

I’ve attached the GPX and PDF files for the shorter route here. I’d be interested to hear from the campers if they’d prefer the shorter route or stay with the originally planned route for Friday. I’m good with doing either, but would like to hear from any campers on their thoughts!

• #12937 Reply
                                                                                  Ron Parsons
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    @chiefinski

For what it’s worth, I favor the shorter route. It’s going to be a pretty warm ride. And BTW, maybe I missed it somewhere along the line, but I haven’t seen an address for our meet-up place so I’m hoping somebody will throw that out there.Thanks.

• #12940 Reply
                                                                                      Ron Zablocki
                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                        @ron-z

The info is in the first post of this thread. KSU from Panera Bread @ 8:30 AM.

• #12941 Reply
                                                                                      Ron Parsons
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @chiefinski

Thank you Ron. For anybody else who may also be unfamiliar with that area, the best I can tell is the address of LaCanada Flintridge Panera Bread is 990 Town Ctr. I trust that someone will correct me if I’m wrong about that.

• #12942 Reply
                                                                                          Ron Zablocki
                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                            @ron-z

Yes, that’s the correct address. Sorry about not giving that.

• #12952 Reply
                                                                                          Ron Parsons
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @chiefinski

No worries. Thanks Ron

• #12954 Reply
                                                                                            Harry Hoffman
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @harry3gsa

I vote for the shorter route as well. After a long day of riding, dinner and setting up camp will be a priority before dark. 🙂
                                                                                              Looking forward to an amazing adventure next weekend!!

• #12956 Reply
                                                                                              Ron Zablocki
                                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                                @ron-z

Okay people – Attached are the FINAL day 1 GPX and PDF route files to Kings Canyon. This is the shorter version, with the campers arriving at the Stony Creek Campground just before 5 PM. And I’d like to thank Steve Leo for pointing out some route errors in the prior shorter route that I posted above, along with suggesting a couple changes that make for a better ride up, as well as shortening the ride time a bit!

Please let me know if there are any questions before we meetup at Panera Bread on Fri, Aug 21st.
                                                                                                This should hopefully be an excellent weekend adventure barring any unforeseen events! 👍

• #12960 Reply
                                                                                                Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                                  @ron-z

Okay – I lied in my above post. I found a better lunch spot than the Sonic Drive-In, so I’ll be updating the GPX and PDF files tomorrow.

Sorry about that, but I think Luigi’s Restaurant & Deli is a much better option, as well as being closer to actual lunch time. 😁

• #12962 Reply
                                                                                                  Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                    @ron-z

So, as promised – I’ve attached the FINAL, FINAL versions of the GPX and PDF route files.
                                                                                                    *** Note that the departure time from Panera Bread has changed to 8 AM to try and beat the heat a little.
                                                                                                    Also – in the PDF file I’ve added a route list that gives the approximate arrival and layover times for the various stops and destinations. Those hoteling can expect to arrive at the hotel around 3 PM, and the campers should get to the campground around 4:30 PM – all depending on how long the stops actually are.

Also note that Bill Alan cannot attend this event after all, so Eric Wolf will be handling the collection of the camping fees and other camping related things.

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone next week! 🏍

• #12966 Reply
                                                                                                    Karl Wagner
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @sharons-hubby

Thanks Ron, Bill and Eric for putting this together, looking forward to getting out, seeing everyone and camping.
                                                                                                      .
                                                                                                      Sharon and I will be heading out Thursday doing a light off-road to Isabella and meet you at camp Friday night, thus will not be at the Friday morning meet-up.
                                                                                                      .
                                                                                                      See you in Sequoia! 🙂

• #12967 Reply
                                                                                                      Warren Belkin
                                                                                                      Keymaster
                                                                                                        @wbelkin

Sorry I had to change to NO – so I opened up a spot. We have some construction happening at the house now which will not allow me to go away that weekend.

• #12968 Reply
                                                                                                        Joe Alwan
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          @jalwan

Sadly, I’m out as well and won’t make Kings Canyon. Doing the “Ride-To-Live” course on the Mt Laguna weekend. So, next trip for me is Kernville

• #12969 Reply
                                                                                                          Bill Allen
                                                                                                          Blocked
                                                                                                            @lucky

The Park Service has closed the campground and has canceled our reservation.

Sorry ’bout that.

• #12970 Reply
                                                                                                            Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                                              @ron-z

Well that definitely sucks. Are the parks themselves still open?

• #12971 Reply
                                                                                                              Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                                                @ron-z

Okay, so I called the Stony Creek Lodge, and it’s just the campground that will be closed during our planned weekend. The parks and the lodge will still be open for the planned Sat ride. For those hoteling it nothing really changes, and there’s still time to make hotel reservations.

• #12972 Reply
                                                                                                                Ron Parsons
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  @chiefinski

Well, I’m out then. I was really looking forward to camping, and of course meeting everybody, and the riding. Harry Hoffman and I were going to leave there Sunday and ride to Morro Bay for a few days of camping. At least we can still do that, albeit not from Kings Canyon. I’ll look forward to catching up with all of you down the road. For those still going, I hope you have a blast!

• #12973 Reply
                                                                                                                  Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                                    @ron-z

For those that are still going, and those that are not – please update the Ride List accordingly, thanks!

• #12974 Reply
                                                                                                                    Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                      @sharons-hubby

Sorry to hear this change…. was really looking forward to the campout. Will update the ride list, will not be doing Sequoia, not doing hotels yet here. Thanks for all your efforts! Will be keeping the offroad plans for Isabella area Wed/Thurs/Fri, staying at the Isabella KOA.

• #12975 Reply
                                                                                                                      Michele Stone
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                        @stonemichele

Bummer. We are out as well.

• #12977 Reply
                                                                                                                        Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                          @sharons-hubby

Man, just checked the temps in Isabella….. 98 degrees….. well momma don’t like that…. cancelling those reservations and looking for another plan for the week or weeekend….. bummer…..

• #12981 Reply
                                                                                                                          Ron Parsons
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            @chiefinski

Karl,
                                                                                                                            If you’re tent camping you might put in a call to Morro Dunes RV Park in Morro Bay. If you were RV-ing I would say that you probably don’t stand a chance of getting a campsite, but perhaps they may have a tent site available. A word of warning though, people flock to Morro Bay by the thousands from the valley in the summer, particularly on weekends because of the cool temperatures, so it can get pretty crowded. But, it’s at least worth a phone call. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• #12982 Reply
                                                                                                                            Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              @sharons-hubby

Thanks for the info Ron P,
                                                                                                                              Looks like an effort to get another campsite in the valley is being undertaken by Prez John C, so will see.
                                                                                                                              Karl

• #12983 Reply
                                                                                                                              Ron Parsons
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                @chiefinski

Oh, okay. I thought that because temperatures were a factor in your decision that you were abandoning the Kings Canyon trip. John found a place in Lemon Cove, but The Weather Channel shows it will be 105º there on Friday and 103º Saturday, so I thought maybe you had already looked at that.

• #12985 Reply
                                                                                                                                Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                                                                  @ron-z

Okay folks – camping is back on! But now it’s at the Lemon Cove RV Park. See this post: Kings Canyon Camping Update.

In light of this I’ll be adding updated route files here this weekend, to account for the new camping location.

• #12990 Reply
                                                                                                                                  Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                                                    @ron-z

NOTICE: If we do not fill up the camping by Wednesday morning, we will be cancelling one of the sites, so please, if you are camping, let us know sooner rather than later.

• #12991 Reply
                                                                                                                                    Steve Leo
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                      @steve

Count me in on one of the spots.

• #12995 Reply
                                                                                                                                      Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                                                                        @ron-z

Okay folks – the updated GPX and PDF route files are here. This update adds the Lemon Cove RV Park, along with some changes for the Sat Kings Canyon loop route. Just a note – Road’s End *might* be closed that day, we’ll have to play it by ear and see.

• #13015 Reply
                                                                                                                                        Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                                                                          @ron-z

Hi everyone, an exciting weekend is coming up!

For those that are meeting up at Panera Bread Friday morning, please be sure to arrive no later than 7:45 AM for the ride sign-in and briefing.

We will be departing Panera Bread at 8 AM sharp!

Viewing 56 reply threads
                                                                                                                                      Reply To: Kings Canyon Weekend: 8/21 – 8/23

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                                                      Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: