• #7972 Reply
            Ron Zablocki
              @ron-z

Thanks Karl.

• #7973 Reply
              Bill Allen
              Blocked
                @lucky

I have a stoopid question. I’m new to group riding, particularly this group.

Do I need to upload these files if I’m in the group?

Can’t I just follow someone?

• #7974 Reply
                Karl Wagner
                Participant
                  @sharons-hubby

Bill Allen, downloading the routes is not a requirement of participation, you can certainly follow if you like. I will also have a few hard copies at the meet up.

I like to encourage every person to have some means of navigating the route, hard copy map, gps route, phone, etc. Whatever it takes to get yourself to the meeting point if one get’s separated and if the group is unable to locate them.

You, heck, you could navigate by the stars during the day I imagine! πŸ™‚

• #7976 Reply
                  Bill Allen
                  Blocked
                    @lucky

Good idea about the meeting points. Not so much about navigating by the stars during daylight. LOL
                    Which meeting points?
                    Can you provide those meeting points and approximate times?
                    I do have a GPS, and can be anywhere anytime, but I like to lift my nose from the tips of the skis as much as I can.
                    I hope that’s not too much trouble.

• #7979 Reply
                    Karl Wagner
                    Participant
                      @sharons-hubby

Not at all Bill, understand completely. The Word document attached to the post above has an outline of the ride with a description of stops and approx time from the KSU time, would need to add in approx break time and delays……. forget it, just meet us at dinner! πŸ™‚

• #7983 Reply
                      Bill Allen
                      Blocked
                        @lucky

Karl – That ride outline is PERFECT! I hope it serves as a template for future events. The only possible flaw I can find (and believe me, I looked HARD) are the early KSU times. It’s fine for me, but Ida won’t be happy. I’m going to have to bungee her in for the first leg of the ride each day. LOL

• #7984 Reply
                        Bill Allen
                        Blocked
                          @lucky

With regards to dining options in Porterville, The Black Bear Diner is within 2 miles of the hotel. I know, not ideal since it’s not walking distance, but they have good food.

Just a thought.

• #7985 Reply
                          Karl Wagner
                          Participant
                            @sharons-hubby

Thanks Bill,

The ride summary is Brandon Wilsons outline format. I liked it once I saw it also. Hope I can get every rider to keep it in thier tank bag and refer to it. I will add cell phone number of the riders I knwo going in the final form.

Understand about the Friday morning KSU, may not be for everyone, but is will be a long day in the saddle for the main route. I put a cut off for those that prefered a shorter day, but heck one could sleep in till noon and head staight up 99 too! You Newlyweds!

The Black Bear diner is a great option, like the food also. It just may be that we hit that on the way into town?? I anticipate once I stop the bike on Friday it nor I will feel like going anywhere else…… The Deneys on the hotel property may suffice for me! :0

• #7986 Reply
                            Bill Allen
                            Blocked
                              @lucky

You Newlyweds!

What can I say? I wake up every morning with a smile!
                              πŸ™‚

• #7989 Reply
                              David Omlor
                              Participant
                                @david

” Please update the ride list so I can confirm who is riding with us on this ride. ” -Karl W

Karl – you could lead by example? Either update the ride list, though some riders may not, or post a list of riders who you know are planning to join. Then, the list can be adjusted as needed by communicating with you.

• #7993 Reply
                                Bill Allen
                                Blocked
                                  @lucky

Ride list updated.

• #7994 Reply
                                  Karl Wagner
                                  Participant
                                    @sharons-hubby

Thanks David, great idea…. but it would not be a good idea to use me as an example…

Riders I understand to be attending:

1 Karl & Sharon Wagner
                                    2 Chris Roady
                                    3 Larry and Trish Troffer
                                    4 Jesse Vaca
                                    5 Ron and Lorna Zablocki
                                    6 Tom White
                                    7 Brandon Wilson
                                    8 Eric Wolf
                                    9 Mike Pirosh
                                    10 David Omlor
                                    11 Dan Burt
                                    12 David Eastly
                                    13 Bill and Ida Allen
                                    14 Bikram Mann
                                    15 Ed Taylor

I understand some bikes will be going up earlier Thursday, riding a different route Saturday and coming home Sunday. The posted routes are suggestions.

I need the following assistance for the rides, please consider and we can talk about on the ride:

1) Ride leaders – need to lead multiple groups as we will be breaking down to no more that 6.
                                    2) Rider leader – Friday Shortend Route
                                    3) Ride leader – Sunday, bringing the balance of the group home
                                    4) Sweeps, always need sweeps, even better if you have a head set we can sync with the respective ride leader

Thanks all, looking forward to this weekend, hope everyone is planning on having a good time too!

Karl

• #7995 Reply
                                    Bill Allen
                                    Blocked
                                      @lucky

David – Remember, no good deed goes unpunished! LOL

• #7996 Reply
                                      Chris Roady
                                      Participant
                                        @chris

ride list updated, thanks for the push Mr.O

• #8001 Reply
                                        Ron Zablocki
                                          @ron-z

Updated as well.

• #8002 Reply
                                          David Omlor
                                          Participant
                                            @david

I have updated Karl’s list to include Bill Allen, who I believe is going on this ride.
                                            I added known phone numbers and have attached this as a word document for portable reference.
                                            – David

Riders I understand to be attending:
                                            1 Karl & Sharon Wagner 626 483-4009 310-738-0802
                                            2 Chris Roady 714 422-7795
                                            3 Larry and Trish Troffer 949-292-1830 949-361-4951
                                            4 Jesse Vaca 859-396-9667
                                            5 Ron & Lily Zablocki 949-232-6991
                                            6 Tom White witness protection program
                                            7 Brandon Wilson 951-227-1736
                                            8 Eric Wolf 949-636-4769
                                            9 Mike Pirosh 949-343-3557
                                            10 David Omlor 714-307-6633
                                            11 Dan Burt 714-448-2156
                                            12 David Eastly 562-714-6165
                                            13 Bill and Ida Allen 949-248-8588
                                            14 Bikram Mann 925-963-9335
                                            15 Ed Taylor 951-236-1757
                                            I understand some bikes will be going up earlier Thursday, riding a different route Saturday and coming home Sunday. The posted routes are suggestions.
                                            I need the following assistance for the rides, please consider and we can talk about on the ride:
                                            1) Ride leaders – need to lead multiple groups as we will be breaking down to no more than 6.
                                            2) Rider leader – Friday Shortened Route
                                            3) Ride leader – Sunday, bringing the balance of the group home
                                            4) Sweeps, always need sweeps, even better if you have a head set we can sync with the respective ride leader
                                            Thanks all, looking forward to this weekend, hope everyone is planning to have a good time too!
                                            Karl

• #8011 Reply
                                            Bikram
                                            Participant
                                              @bikram

Huh? You guys forgot about me so quick?

I posted that I’ve made my reservations. Although I have reservation at Porterville, but I am planning of meeting ya good folks on Friday morning for breakfast, i.e. I will ride straight to Porterville on Friday morning, have breakfast with the group and continue with the planned ride.

Nine 2 five
                                              Nine 6 three
                                              Nine 33 five

• #8013 Reply
                                              David Omlor
                                              Participant
                                                @david

Hello BM – I added you to my post with an updated Word doc attached.
                                                This is going to be quite a gathering πŸ™‚
                                                Cheers!

• #8015 Reply
                                                Bill Allen
                                                Blocked
                                                  @lucky

Ida and I are planning to come back on Monday. Right now, I’m thinking about taking Sonora Pass to 395 to Pearsonville to 9 mile canyon through Kennedy Meadows over Sherman Pass and spending Sunday night in Kernville. I have no headset (already too many voices in my head), so I can’t lead or sweep. I cannot guarantee an accommodating pace, but I do not plan to ride like a hoon, either. Warning: I am annoyed by slow traffic in front of me (two wheels or four).

• #8018 Reply
                                                  Ed Taylor
                                                    @etaylorrisksolutions-inc-com

I am a member who has just joined. I was able to make reservations today for both of the hotels mentioned on the itinerary for this Sierra trip. I am assuming that we are doing Sonora Pass and then Walker pass back to back ending in Sonora? I did the Sonora Pass part in 2016, was scheduled to do it again in 2017 but couldn’t wait out the snow. Sunday I will be leaving Sonora and spending the night in Fresno so that I can attend a business meeting Monday in Fresno.

Can I be added to the attendee list? Ed Taylor cell is 951-2361757

• #8019 Reply
                                                    Karl Wagner
                                                    Participant
                                                      @sharons-hubby

Welcome Ed Taylor to the ride, 15th bike on the ride.

Ed, not doing the you mentioned above with the main group, feel free to if you prefer, love Sonora Pass!

Routes are posted above, quite a bit of variety in the days, more pavement than some might like, but always have a shorter route to the end point, or develop one’s own. πŸ™‚

Get ready to ride boys and girls……

• #8020 Reply
                                                      Ron Zablocki
                                                        @ron-z

What kind of weather temps can we expect for the weekend?

• #8030 Reply
                                                        Bill Allen
                                                        Blocked
                                                          @lucky

Ron – I just rode through Porterville on Friday. I would expect mid 90s in the San Joaquin Valley and cooler in the passes. If you don’t have a Goretex suit, pack a rain suit. If luggage space is at a premium, remember clean underwear is over rated. If you were considering leaving some of your foul weather gear at home, I recommend reconsidering the risk vs. reward ratio. I always pack for hot, cold and wet. Once, I even donned my heated liner when it was 76F. Why? Because, on my way to a rally in AZ in May, I had just spent 5 hours over 110F. When I started to climb into the hills, the temps started to drop. I only checked the thermometer after I put on the liner. I thought it was more like 40F!

• #8032 Reply
                                                          Ed Taylor

I am looking forward to this Sierra ride.
                                                            On the 21st, Is anyone interested in a route North on 395 through Kernville or Kennedy Meadows, Sherman Pass, then highway 190 into Porterville? I live in the Lake Mathews area. That’s East of the 15 freeway, South of Riverside. Any “start time” works for me.
                                                            Thanks Ed Taylor 951-236-1757

• #8046 Reply
                                                            Ron Zablocki
                                                              @ron-z

Approximate round-trip mileage?

• #8049 Reply
                                                              Karl Wagner
                                                              Participant
                                                                @sharons-hubby

It is approximately 1051 miles for the main routes over the weekend, tossing out the long and short routes on Day 1 and 2 respectively.

I say again, this is not a short ride, we will have breaks, scheduled a few each day, but the days will be full days, full of curves, hills, views and did I say curves…… on the main planned route. πŸ™‚

We are all riding our own ride, so do the main route, or any variation you like. It is your ride! We are looking forward to an awesome weekend! Hope everyone else it to!

• #8051 Reply
                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                Participant
                                                                  @sharons-hubby

FYI, all Sierra Ride participants:

The Best Western in Porterville called me today to inform us that a remodel project they believed they would have completer by the time of our visit is behind schedule and will be in progress when we stay with them.

This will encumber access from the lobby directly to the rooms and we will have second floor rooms. The pool and patio are not affected.

Just want you to know, if this is important you can change your reservation up to 48 hours ahead of our stay I believe.

Thank you,

Karl

• #8052 Reply
                                                                  Ron Zablocki
                                                                    @ron-z

Thanks Karl. So it looks like my bike will be ready for its 12k service upon return from the trip, and probably ready for new shoes too.

• #8073 Reply
                                                                    David Eastly
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @dave

I’ll be departing Long Beach Friday morning and meeting up with the club in Sonora Friday night. I’ll be staying at a different hotel – two blocks away from the Gunn House hotel. Saturday I’ll be riding with the club, Sunday I’ll pick up my wife Nicole in Sacramento and heading up the NorCal coast with Chris Roady. Sunday night we’ll be staying in Mendocino, Monday in Crescent City (after riding through the redwoods), Tuesday night in Medford Oregon, Wednesday night we’ll be camping near Bend. On Thursday we’ll head over to John Day for the Chief Joseph rally. Woo hoo!!

• #8078 Reply
                                                                      Karl Wagner
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @sharons-hubby

Looks like we have 17 bikes and 21 or so people going on the Sierra Ride next weekend. Attached is the final Sierra Ride Phone List with everyone I understand is riding. I will see whomever meets up at each days meet up location and time. I know others are leaving the first day and other days at various times and routes.

If you are riding in the main group on any of the days, and you have the route on your GPS, please consider leading a small group. This ride will be much more enjoyable if we are in groups of 6 or less due to tne number of turns at intersections and roads with limited turn off space. Hope you will consider taking on a group.

Have a great week, see you sometime Thursday. Those meeting up at Panera Bread in LaCanada, KSU 1:00pm reminder, all gased up!

Karl

• #8080 Reply
                                                                        Ron Zablocki
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                          @ron-z

Karl – In your first thread about this ride you said KSU @ 2pm at Panera Bread. Has that now changed to 1pm? Just want to make sure…

• #8081 Reply
                                                                          Bill Allen
                                                                          Blocked
                                                                            @lucky

What happened to Bike No. 10?

We will be on the R1150R. I have not mounted a GPS unit, so I will be riding blind and deaf (earplugs, no audio), following the bike in front of me. Also, I will be riding in the “B” Group, probably close to the front. If Lisa Catarineau were on this ride, she would probably say closer than she would like. LOL.

Four women! Cool! They should be able to keep us hooligans out of trouble. Right?

• #8082 Reply
                                                                            Karl Wagner
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @sharons-hubby

Yes Ron, for all, the KSU time has been moved up since the original plan to 1pm. This was to get us on the road a bit earlier, out of town and allows us to hit a bit of the hills on the way to Porterville.

Bill, sorry, corrected the list and reposted above, numbers go donw by one. (late night editing… )

Thanks guys.

• #8084 Reply
                                                                              Bill Allen
                                                                              Blocked
                                                                                @lucky

No problem, Karl.

Am I going to have to start checking your math?
                                                                                LOL

• #8085 Reply
                                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @sharons-hubby

Yeah, pretty much….. it will save Sharon time…. πŸ™‚

• #8086 Reply
                                                                                  Chris Roady
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    @chris

Roady Ready #letsride

• #8087 Reply
                                                                                    Ron Zablocki
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                      @ron-z

Well, Lorna isn’t going to be able to make this ride, as she’s recuperating from a flu bug.

But according to Karl I won’t be riding by myself, as I guess someone named Lilly is coming along. Who are you trying to set me up with Karl?

• #8088 Reply
                                                                                      Mark Borgeson
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @borgie

FYI. The Gunn House Hotel is located on the corner of Washington and June st. Be forewarned, June st. is a total piece of crap “road”. It’s VERY steep and challenging due major grade changes entering and exiting the road. A Harley ate-it trying to maneuver it today. I was talking to a Ducati GS rider and the first thing he asked me was “so what’d you think of that driveway?”.

June St. is used to get to the hotel’s registration and upper parking lots. The registration parking will hold 5 bikes max. If everyone tries to enter at the same time, you’ll get backed up and tip over like a bunch of dominoes.

There’s street parking in front of the Gunn and shared parking next to the hotel. I’d recommend using either of those to check in and then look at June st.

• #8090 Reply
                                                                                        Ron Zablocki
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                          @ron-z

Good tips, thanks Mark.

• #8091 Reply
                                                                                          Ed Taylor
                                                                                          Moderator

This will be a cool week. My bike is packed, projects on hold…
                                                                                            I am starting the Sierra ride from the Riverside area and am probably taking 395 North, 14, through Kennedy Meadows, Sherman Pass, 190 into Porterville. I would love to join up with anyone planning on an Eastern approach to Porterville. My / our start time could be anything after my second cup of morning coffee. Ed Taylor

• #8092 Reply
                                                                                            Bill Allen
                                                                                            Blocked
                                                                                              @lucky

Please be careful on Sherman Pass. Although I haven’t ridden it in a while, the last few times were challenging. There was broken asphalt mixed in with gravel patches. The problem was the gravel was the same color as the asphalt, making it difficult to tell the difference, particularly with spotty sunshine through the trees. Oh yeah, there were deer also. Dodging deer and gravel. What fun! Be sure to stop at rest stop at the top. It’s probably too late in the year, but there are a few rare days where one can see Mt. Whitney from that location.

It sounds like the SouthCoasters will explore (and conquer) most of the Sierra Passes this weekend. The main route will cover Ebbets, Carson, Luther and Monitor Passes. On Saturday, Ida and I will ride at least a portion of Tioga, possibly as far as Tuolomne Meadows, but my main focus will be to show her Yosemite which she has never seen. On Sunday, we will take Sonora Pass (my personal favorite) to 395 and then Wilson Pass into Kernville.

For the photo gallery, let’s get a collection of the passes signs, shall we?

• #8093 Reply
                                                                                              Karl Wagner
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                @sharons-hubby

Thanks Mark Borgeson, I was planning on using the shared parking next to the hotel to start and look a the upper lot and access to it after registration and unpacking.

• #8094 Reply
                                                                                                Chris Roady
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  @chris

be careful on Sherman Pass … how about be careful at the Gunn House … apparently IT’S HAUNTED

πŸ˜‰

https://spookadar.com/listing/haunted-places/california/286-s-washington-st-sonora-ca-95370-gunn-house-hotel/

• #8095 Reply
                                                                                                  Chris Roady
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    @chris

Ed Taylor, I think I’ll do the same route over and through Kennedy Meadows. I am off the 57 and Imperial. Would an 11-ish meet and early lunch at Bravo Burger on 395 in Adelanto work for you?

• #8099 Reply
                                                                                                    Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @borgie

Chris – I was at the Gunn House yesterday. I stirred up the ghosts and let them know the South Coasters were coming πŸ˜‰

• #8100 Reply
                                                                                                      Chris Roady
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        @chris

Thanks Mark, wouldn’t want to get short changed on my visit!!

• #8101 Reply
                                                                                                        Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          @borgie

I road Ebbets, Luther & Monitor, passes yesterday. They are in great condition. CalTrans is resurfacing them and a lot of the road is brand spanking new.

Here’s a teaser shot of an alpine lake off Hwy4:

Attachments:
                                                                                                        • #8103 Reply
                                                                                                          Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            @borgie

It’s been hot and it’s supposed to be even hotter this weekend. The forecast for the valley (Porterville, Merced & Sonora) is 100+.

Thankfully the passes are beautiful in the 70’s.

• #8104 Reply
                                                                                                            Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              @borgie

For those of you staying at the Gunn House, don’t be surprised if you hear “Roooohdeeeee Rooohhdeeeeeeee” with the faint sound of creepy organ music playing in the middle of the night. It’s probably just your imagination. Ahh ha ha ha ha!

• #8105 Reply
                                                                                                              Ed Taylor
                                                                                                              Moderator

Chris.. 11:00 Bravo Burger Adalanto. GOT IT. Will be there. Ed Taylor 951-236-1757

• #8106 Reply
                                                                                                                Bikram
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  @bikram

So that is why they charge Non-Refundable deposit of $50 when you book. They’ve got you on the pirates hook and not letting you escape from the ghosts.

• #8108 Reply
                                                                                                                  Brandon Wilson
                                                                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                                                                    @brandon-w

Hello guys and gals,

Good news is I will be able to make the ride, and Ivy and I are now homeowners! Let the fun begin πŸ˜€

I will be riding up solo from OC after a few hours at the office and should roll in around 7 or 8. Looking forward to a great weekend!

• #8109 Reply
                                                                                                                    Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                                                      @ron-z

Awesome Brandon, and congrats you two on the house! 👍🏼

• #8110 Reply
                                                                                                                      Bill Reitz
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                        @bill-r

WOW !!! The new President and already using that extra income to buy a house. Congrats Mr. Prez.

• #8111 Reply
                                                                                                                        Brandon Wilson
                                                                                                                        Keymaster
                                                                                                                          @brandon-w

Hahaha Bill. How did you know? 😊

• #8114 Reply
                                                                                                                          Bikram
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            @bikram

Reached home at 3:15 pm with 1 stop in Bakersville for 15 min.
                                                                                                                            Amazing weekend with good camaraderie.

• #8116 Reply
                                                                                                                            Ed Taylor
                                                                                                                            Moderator

Back home now, I had a great weekend and met lots of good people, what could be better.
                                                                                                                              Thanks for making the “new guy” feel right at home. Ed

• #8117 Reply
                                                                                                                              Bill Allen
                                                                                                                              Blocked
                                                                                                                                @lucky

Where the heck is Bakersville? Halfway between Bakersfield and Porterville?
                                                                                                                                πŸ™‚

• #8118 Reply
                                                                                                                                Bill Allen
                                                                                                                                Blocked
                                                                                                                                  @lucky

Ed –

Got your note!

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Warning: The hazing has not yet begun!
                                                                                                                                  πŸ™‚

• #8119 Reply
                                                                                                                                  Ed Taylor
                                                                                                                                  Moderator

Bill, You have no idea how you are dealing with yet! OK so, Your mechanical advise you gave me, wear ear plugs and you won’t hear all those strange boxer noises, was right on. So that your and Ida’s bike next to me in Yosemite Village. Ed

• #8120 Reply
                                                                                                                                    Bill Allen
                                                                                                                                    Blocked
                                                                                                                                      @lucky

Yep, that was us.
                                                                                                                                      Earplugs are a great solution not only for those strange Boxer noises but also annoying chatter at meals and meetings you would like to tune out as well as adjacent snorers at campsites (campers all around me swear by them!). Multi-function tool!

• #8140 Reply
                                                                                                                                      Chris Roady
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        @chris

Home last night. 2,980 miles. Great trip!

• #8144 Reply
                                                                                                                                        Bill Allen
                                                                                                                                        Blocked
                                                                                                                                          @lucky

Welcome back, Chris!
                                                                                                                                          I take it you have recovered from your “glutton reaction”
                                                                                                                                          πŸ™‚
                                                                                                                                          Sounds like you had a wonderful ride. Post some pics when you get a chance.
                                                                                                                                          I’ve never taken a two week vacation, so I haven’t been on many long rides. Maybe only a couple were longer than yours.
                                                                                                                                          One was attending the “Blitz to Branson”. I don’t know if the MOA still holds it, but it used to be the kickoff event for the beginning of the riding season. That was a quick, 5 day trip where I bagged one Saddle Sore (1,000 miles in 24 hours) and two Bun Burners (1,500 miles in 36 hours). That was the last time I rode east of the Rockies. The total was just over 3,600 miles.
                                                                                                                                          http://www.allendesigns.com/personal/Branson2008/Branson2008.htm
                                                                                                                                          The other was the Three Flags Classic, the only one I actually started and finished. I started one other, finished another and bought tickets to two others. That event took 10 days and I rode a little over 4k miles.
                                                                                                                                          http://www.allendesigns.com/personal/3FC2008/3FC2008.htm
                                                                                                                                          These days, 400 miles is a big day. The Sierra Ride, nearly 1,200 miles for me, was more than enough.

Viewing 65 reply threads
                                                                                                                                      Reply To: Sierra Ride – Ride and Route Information

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                                                      Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: