@goat

Ride Leader: Pete Rissman
      Email: [email protected]
      Phone: 714-612-7383

PLEASE SIGN UP HERE

Santa Maria AirFest Weekend Getaway & Camping

SCBMWRC Central Coast AirFest Ride, Oct 14-16

Not going to Baja? Here’s another option for you to consider:

On the weekend of October 14-16, we will be riding to Santa Maria CA to spend a day at the Central Coast AirFest at Santa Maria Airport.

The destination has both camping and motel options. I have reserved four campsites at the Lopez Lake Campground which is up in the foothills about 10 road-miles east of Arroyo Grande and 33 miles from the Santa Maria Airport. These sites all have shade and can handle as many as 4 tents each. There is a bathroom with running water, flush-toilets and a shower nearby and there’s potable water spigots at all the sites. There’s also a store and restaurant a little over a half-mile away at the marina.

Unfortunately, I was unable to reserve a block of motel rooms or arrange any kind of discount, but rooms are available (see **NOTE below).

The ride up and back will each be a little over 200 miles. We’ll ride up on Friday, go to the airshow on Saturday, and ride home on Sunday. Other stops will include lunch at Pea Soup Anderson’s Restaurant in Buellton, lunch or dinner at Jocko’s Steak House in Nipomo, and a visit to the Vintage Motorcycle Museum in Solvang on the way home.

There are plenty of ride options available in the area if you don’t care for airshows. Among other things, Santa Maria is in the middle of central-valley wine country and there are lots of options for wine tasting. If you’re a GS rider there are plenty of dirt forestry roads nearby and if you’d like to keep your tires on blacktop, Pacific Coast Hwy is just a few miles west.

**NOTE: You’ll need to make your own arrangements if you want a room. I actually did reserve a handful of rooms at a budget motel and a higher-end hotel in Santa Maria, but the managers of both of them called me a day later and said they couldn’t honor the reservations or the prices since it was an airshow weekend. There are still rooms available in Santa Maria, but at premium prices. There are also rooms available in Arroyo Grande, Grover Beach, Pismo Beach and Oceano which are all a lot closer to the campground but farther from the airshow. If you’re planning to ride with us and want one of these rooms, you’d better reserve it ASAP

PLEASE SIGN UP HERE

Santa Maria AirFest Weekend Getaway & Camping

Ride Leader: Pete Rissman
      Email: [email protected]
      Phone: 714-612-7383

Goat Moto Tours -
      goatmototours.com

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #16130 Reply
        Pete Rissman
          @thatpete

Some links to ride information:

Airfest 2022 Info:
          https://www.centralcoastairfest.com/
          Planes of Fame at Airfest 2022:
          https://planesoffame.org/events/airfest22
          Lopez Lake Recreation Area Info:
          https://slocountyparks.com/camp/lopez-lake/
          Pea Soup Anderson’s
          http://www.peasoupandersens.net/homeBuellton.html
          Jocko’s Steakhouse:

Home

Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum:

Home

• #16131 Reply
          Pete Rissman
            @thatpete

Central Coast Airfest 2018:

Central Coast Airfest 2019:

• #16132 Reply
            Pete Rissman
              @thatpete

2022 AIRFEST PERFORMERS:
              Canadian Snowbirds
              USAF F-35 Demo Team
              USAF Heritage Flight
              Navy VFA-122 F-18 Demo Team
              Navy VFA-122 Legacy Flight
              C-130 Demo
              E-2 Hawkeye Demo Team
              National Guard F-15 Flybys
              Red Bull Air Force
              Planes of Fame Warbirds
              Kirby Chamblis (Edge 540)
              Kevin Coleman (Extra 300 SHP)
              Aaron Fitzgerald (Red Bull Helicopter)
              High Alpha MiG-17
              Sammy Mason (Pitts S2)
              RAD Jet Waco
              Swamp Fox P-51 Demo
              Eric Tucker (Piper J3 Cub)
              PLUS: LOTS OF STATIC MILITARY AND CIVILLIAN AIRCRAFT ON DISPLAY

• #16139 Reply
              Pete Rissman
                @thatpete

Here’s the brochure from the Vintage Motorcycle Museum in Solvang. We will be stopping there on our way back on Sunday.

The route up and back have yet to be determined. Harry’s Morro Bay ride in August will be very similar and I want to try pick different routes up and back. I’ll be posting route information and GPX files as soon as that has ben worked out.

• #17553 Reply
                Bill Allen
                Blocked
                  @lucky

Can’t find the ride sign up on the new website. Also,in Pete’s write up, “sign up here” is not hyperlinked.

• #17555 Reply
                  Pete Rissman
                    @thatpete

Can’t find the ride sign up on the new website. Also,in Pete’s write up, “sign up here” is not hyperlinked.

Hiya Bill:
                    Go here:
                    Attachments:
                  • #17561 Reply
                    Bill Allen
                    Blocked
                      @lucky

Thanks, Pete. I interpreted “Register for Event” as registration to attend the air show. Doh!

• #17742 Reply
                      Pete Rissman
                        @thatpete

Hi everyone: Next Monday (10/10/22) is a firm cut-off point for registering for this ride if you plan to camp with us at Lopez Lake. I currently have 4 campsites reserved that will handle 2-3 riders each and I will have to cancel the reservations on unused sites on Monday evening to get my fees refunded in full.

the bottom line is, if you want to join us on this ride and you want to camp, you need to register no later than Monday 10/10/22 early afternoon.

Pete

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    Reply To: Santa Maria AirFest Weekend Getaway / October 14-16

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: