Kernville Weekend—–DATE CHANGE

Forums Rides Kernville Weekend—–DATE CHANGE

• Creator
    Topic
  • #8708 Reply
    John Crittenden
    Participant
      @john-c

I had to change the dates of this outing to October 19-21, as the Kernville Inn (and every other place of lodging) was booked for a hot rod event.
      As the Kernville Inn has changed ownership, blocks of rooms can no longer be set aside, so all of us need to book separately. Call the Inn (or if you care to stay somewhere else) to book. As of this date (8-10) there are 17 rooms left. If you want to go, please book now. The first night will be charged but if cancelled 72 hours or more, you can get it credited back. Rooms are $99-$119 per night (I booked a Queen for $109).

Calendar https://scbmwrc.com/event/kernville-overnight-hotel-camp-ride/

Viewing 42 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #8713 Reply
        Karl Wagner
        Participant
          @sharons-hubby

Got it, reservation made! Small “happy hour” courtyard adjacent.

Thanks John,

K&S

• #8715 Reply
          Danny Wassenaar
          Participant
            @danny-w

Thank you John! Elaine and I are a “go” ; booked a king room for 2 nights.

• #8719 Reply
            Bill Reitz
            Participant
              @bill-r

Karen & I are booked in room 156, a queen room for $109 a night. I posted a picture of room layout on the Facebook EVENTS for this ride.

• #8721 Reply
              Steve Leo
              Participant
                @steve

I am a go but Jan will not be joining me as her flight from her week in Vancouver with her Mom does not land until 6pm Friday night. Room booked on “Happy Hour Courtyard” (154).

• #8725 Reply
                Bill Reitz
                Participant
                  @bill-r

Hey Steve….. there’s an airport in Kernville just down the road from the Inn. Jan could change her flight destination to Kernville International !! Problem solved, man am I good or what ??

• #8767 Reply
                  Tom Hooper
                  Participant
                    @pokey

Iโ€™m booked and barring any babysitting emergencies Iโ€™ll be there. Probably no one will recognize me. 🤣

• #8832 Reply
                    Bill Allen
                    Blocked
                      @lucky

Why, Tom? Will you be cross dressing?
                      ๐Ÿ™‚

• #8833 Reply
                      Mark Borgeson
                      Participant
                        @borgie

Bill Allen – Tom was in the Coast Guard so give him a break.

• #8836 Reply
                        Bill Allen
                        Blocked
                          @lucky

Mark Borgeson – Not a chance!
                          ๐Ÿ™‚

• #8891 Reply
                          Ron Zablocki
                            @ron-z

I’m also booked at the Kernville Inn, and I believe there are a couple rooms left for that weekend. Undecided yet if Lorna can come on this one.

• #8892 Reply
                            Bill Reitz
                            Participant
                              @bill-r

Ahhh come on Ron, let Lorna out of the kitchen once in a while.

• #8893 Reply
                              Karl Wagner
                              Participant
                                @sharons-hubby

If anyone else might be interested, Sharon and I will be looking for somewhere in the area to do a day hike on Saturday. Likely ride to the location, change into hiking shoes and shorts and spend a couple of hours hiking to a lake, vista point or other point of interest. Then ride back for dinner with the group.

Let us know if you are interested, especially if you have any hike route ideas!

• #8906 Reply
                                Bill Reitz
                                Participant
                                  @bill-r

Hey Karl, I’ve got an idea for a ride for you. Forest Route 23S16 is a paved fire road running between M-50, just west of Johnsondale, down to Portuguese Pass, and out to Hwy 155 on Rancheria Road / Alta Sierra Drive. Up at Portuguese Pass you get a view of the western Sierras and the road going up to Sherman Pass WAY across the valley of the Kern River below you. I took a group on this ride about 15 years ago. On the map it appears to be dirt but Tim Mayhew (the Pashnit.com guy) wrote about on his site, it’s called “The Road With No Name”. It would make a great ride as it is one of the only paved fire roads in the mountains.
                                  I got to Portuguese Pass by going thru Glennville then up Jack Ranch Road to a right on M-3 then Sugarloaf Drive past Sugarloaf Campground to the intersection with 23S16 then northeast. I didn’t do the Rancheria Rd/Alta Sierra Dr route so I’m not sure it that way is all paved.
                                  I tried to take the Club there the year of our snow ride but we ran into too much slush on the road.

• #8907 Reply
                                  Karl Wagner
                                  Participant
                                    @sharons-hubby

Thnaks Bill, was there a hike in there somewhere?

If nothing else, we could run up towards Kennedy Meadows and hike to the look out at Bald Mountain. It is a nice view. Will keep looking for a hike.

• #8908 Reply
                                    Bill Reitz
                                    Participant
                                      @bill-r

Once you’re on 23S16 in the valleys you will see places to stop and look around, even got a couple of peaks to ascend.

• #9011 Reply
                                      Bill Reitz
                                      Participant
                                        @bill-r

Any word on a time & meeting place to start the ride yet ? I won’t ask about routes cause I know Ron will be asking soon.

• #9012 Reply
                                        Ron Zablocki
                                          @ron-z

9:30am at Panera Bread in La Canada Bill.

• #9013 Reply
                                          Bill Reitz
                                          Participant
                                            @bill-r

Thank you Ron.

• #9024 Reply
                                            Steve Leo
                                            Participant
                                              @steve

Bill,
                                              Why don’t you lead a ride on Saturday on the route you just detailed above. It sounds great and the weather is supposed to be beautiful – mid 70s in Kernville with no rain the week leading up to it.

• #9025 Reply
                                              Bill Reitz
                                              Participant
                                                @bill-r

Thanks Steve but this is John Crittenden’ weekend not mine. I had my chance on the “Ice Ride” weekend. Nobody will follow me anymore. 😭

• #9026 Reply
                                                John Crittenden
                                                Participant
                                                  @john-c

Bill, I wouldn’t trade the “Ice Escapades” for anything! Was an adventure!

I will have the ride-to and Saturday routes completed by this weekend.

• #9029 Reply
                                                  John Crittenden
                                                  Participant
                                                    @john-c

Beth is not sure if she will be able to take off Friday, and might drive up early Saturday morning. Is there anyone who might like to drive with her?

• #9030 Reply
                                                    Karl Wagner
                                                    Participant
                                                      @sharons-hubby

Saturday Hike Plan Following up on a Saturday hike option for anyone interested. We are planning on heading up to the Freeman Creek Sequoia Grove for a hike hopefully to a creek out and back under 3 miles is our goal. This is in the Southern end of the Golden Trout Wilderness. Plan is to head North from Kernville up to Johnsondale, turn right and hit a local road for about 19 miles to the trailhead The trail is would need tennis shoes at least, but hiking boots are not needed. I have attched some information about the grove and trail maps.

• #9034 Reply
                                                      Rob Tripp
                                                      Participant
                                                        @rob

Kellie and I are interested in the hike!

• #9041 Reply
                                                        John Crittenden
                                                        Participant
                                                          @john-c

That sounds great, Karl. A nice ride with a hike thrown in!

Here is the To Kernville Route on Friday, 9:30 Panera Bread in La Canada.

Saturday Ride to Freeman Creek Grove.

Return Sunday can be a reversal of the way to.

Also, an alternate route for Saturday. We can discuss Friday evening.

• #9046 Reply
                                                          Karl Wagner
                                                          Participant
                                                            @sharons-hubby

Thanks John, however we will likely to this Saturday route up to the Freeman Grove first to allow for more hike time. We anticipate about hiking 3-4 hours, including lunch. With luck we might see the group on our way out. If we head our around 9am from Kernville it is approximately 3 hours of riding up and back. That would make a 7 hour day and get us back around 4pm, just in time for the infamous Kernville Happy Hour.

I would guess we will be heading back from Freeman Creek Grove with a departure around 2-2:30pm, assuming the bears do not get us!

• #9047 Reply
                                                            Ron Zablocki
                                                              @ron-z

So it’s a 9am departure time Saturday morning?

• #9048 Reply
                                                              Karl Wagner
                                                              Participant
                                                                @sharons-hubby

For the club ride that is John’s call Ron. I was just giving an example.

• #9049 Reply
                                                                Bill Allen
                                                                Blocked
                                                                  @lucky

Not going.

• #9053 Reply
                                                                  Steve Leo
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    @steve

Do we have a count on who is going? It does not look like everyone has signed up that I think is going. I am bringing a friend who will probably join the club – His name is Brad Geiser and lives here in Thousand Oaks. He rides a R1200GS.

• #9054 Reply
                                                                    John Crittenden
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @john-c

There’s 10 signed up on the ride list, and I know of at least 4 others. We’ll see who shows up. Great on Brad.

• #9055 Reply
                                                                      Ron Zablocki
                                                                        @ron-z

I believe the quota of GS riders in the club has been filled. 🤔

• #9056 Reply
                                                                        Bill Reitz
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          @bill-r

Wait a minute Bill, Karen wants to know why you aren’t going ?
                                                                          I will try to defend what little honor you have left when the drinking circle starts talking about you.

• #9058 Reply
                                                                          Mark Borgeson
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            @borgie

John, update your count by 1. I’ll be going.
                                                                            I was there last year but the details are a little foggy ๐Ÿ˜‰

• #9059 Reply
                                                                            Mark Borgeson
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @borgie

If anyone wants to ride up to Panera’s from South OC this Friday morning, let’s meet up at the Chevron at the I5 & El Toro (23891 Bridger Rd, Lake Forest) at 7:30am. Let me know.

• #9060 Reply
                                                                              John Crittenden
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                @john-c

Great, Mark. Hopefully it won’t be so foggy this time!

• #9061 Reply
                                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @sharons-hubby

Mark B, good to hear you are returning to Kernville! Look forward to seeing you this weekend…. before things get foggy!

• #9062 Reply
                                                                                  Bill Reitz
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    @bill-r

Roberto, Tony, Karen & I are LEAVING Spaghettini at 0815 Friday morning. If anyone wants to meet us there we welcome you. 3005 Old Ranch Pkwy in Seal Beach in the back parking lot. Just off the 405 before the 605.

• #9063 Reply
                                                                                    Rob Tripp
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      @rob

FYI >>>>>>> High winds are forecasted for the high desert (Palmdale – Tehachapi) starting Friday around 11am. Winds of 25MPH can be expected out of the ENE.

• #9064 Reply
                                                                                      Karl Wagner
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @sharons-hubby

Head for the hills! Caliente Bodfish or bust!!!!

Looking forward to riding this weekend, will be getting out later than the group, see you in the evening!!

• #9065 Reply
                                                                                        Mark Borgeson
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          @borgie

Karl W – What? Who’s leading the fast group?

• #9066 Reply
                                                                                          Mark Borgeson
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @borgie

Rob T – It’s a tail wind so we’re good ๐Ÿ™‚

• #9067 Reply
                                                                                            Karl Wagner
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @sharons-hubby

This is John Crittenden’s ride Mark B.

Sharon and I will be leaving from the SF Valley around 1pm and following you all up!

Viewing 42 reply threads
                                                                                          Reply To: Kernville Weekend—–DATE CHANGE

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                          Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: