StreetMasters 26-27 October 2019

Forums Calendar Events StreetMasters 26-27 October 2019

• Creator
    Topic
  • #10429 Reply
    John Crittenden
    Participant
      @john-c

We will be getting more specifics, but essentially, this will be a Saturday evening class, followed by dinner and overnight at a hotel in Lancaster.  Sunday will be a day at the track in Willow Springs for this awesome training.   This class is for SCBMWRC members only and is limited to 40 attendees.     Please let John C. or Danny W. know if you will be attending, and contact either of us if you have any questions. We will also be getting this on the Ride List.

Link to Calendar  StreetMasters Weekend

Viewing 62 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #10459 Reply
        Ed Taylor
          @etaylorrisksolutions-inc-com

John, Count me in for Willow Springs

• #10483 Reply
          Ron Zablocki
            @ron-z

Count me and Lorna in.

• #10550 Reply
            Rob Tripp
            Participant
              @rob

Count me in! Thanks John.

• #10557 Reply
              Larry Troffer
              Participant
                @larry-troffer

John I’d like to participate.

• #10560 Reply
                Jessie Vaca
                Participant
                  @jtb-vaca

I would like to participate!

• #10613 Reply
                  John Crittenden
                  Participant
                    @john-c

This event is now on the Ride List!

Please sign up on this list (Ed is on the ball and already done) and that way, we will have an accurate count/tally, as 40 is our goal and max. (If any trouble signing into the Ride List, get with me or another Board Member).

Also, if you are not an MOA member, you will need to be to be eligible for the $100 scholarship.

Let’s get this committed to and filled up!

• #10617 Reply
                    Karl Wagner
                    Participant
                      @sharons-hubby

While at it, would appreciate if you sign up for all the other events so we can plan for whomever is going. Thanks!

• #10618 Reply
                      Chris Roady
                      Participant
                        @chris

Done, thanks for the reminder

• #10849 Reply
                        Ron Zablocki
                          @ron-z

John – Do you know what hotel in Lancaster we’ll be staying at?
                          And is there a final cost yet for the weekend?

• #10851 Reply
                          Bikram
                          Participant
                            @bikram

+1 Bikram

• #10852 Reply
                            John Crittenden
                            Participant
                              @john-c

We should have some more data at the Gen’l Meeting.

Great, Bikram!

• #10868 Reply
                              Jim Foreman
                              Participant
                                @jimmy

The Hotel is the Best Western Desert Poppy Inn.
                                I will contact Nancy Foote and get a promo code for a discount.
                                I’ll be at the training day, but I’ll likely be snapping photos to make sure all of you look 5x-7x more awesome at Horse Thief Mile.
                                I work with Walt and Nancy, so if there’s anything I can do to be of assistance to the club, please let me know.
                                Jim Foreman
                                310 923-6635

• #10871 Reply
                                John Crittenden
                                Participant
                                  @john-c

Gracias, Jim!

• #10872 Reply
                                  Jim Foreman
                                  Participant
                                    @jimmy

Use this link for the special Streetmasters rate at the Desert Poppy Inn.

Jim

• #10873 Reply
                                    Ed Taylor
                                      @etaylorrisksolutions-inc-com

I reserved a room Oct 26th at Best Western Lancaster. Anyone want to use the extra bed, let me know. Ed

• #10874 Reply
                                      Jim Foreman
                                      Participant
                                        @jimmy

One thing to be mindful of is that the classroom training is at the Best Western Desert Poppy Inn in Lancaster

Staying there makes perfect sense.

The group discount knocks it down from $169 to $109/night.

If you booked another hotel, and it’s possible, it’s worth canceling it and booking this one.
                                        If you booked this one and paid too much, cancel and book with the discount.

• #10884 Reply
                                        Joe Alwan
                                        Participant
                                          @jalwan

Count me in! Booked the hotel. New member. Have done 1 track day before. Looking forward to continuing to improve my skills

• #10887 Reply
                                          John Crittenden
                                          Participant
                                            @john-c

Great, Joe! (And thanks for doing the Ride List!)

And, Tom White wishes to attend also!

• #10895 Reply
                                            Warren Belkin
                                            Keymaster
                                              @wbelkin

Please sign me up and let me know how to secure the Streetmasters reservation? I have the hotel booked. Thx.

• #10897 Reply
                                              Ron Zablocki
                                                @ron-z

Hi Warren – Great to have you participate! If you haven’t, please sign up on the Ride List also.

• #10905 Reply
                                                Bikram
                                                Participant
                                                  @bikram

The booking defaults to 3 nights – Check-in on Friday night and Check-out on Monday. I thought the program is for Sat & Sun, whereby Saturday evening is the classroom and Sunday is a full day event.

Can we not book for 2 night, or even better 1 night? Although I am not sure if I want to ride through the mountains at night on the way back. Just checking my option and availability outside the weekend.

• #10906 Reply
                                                  Ron Zablocki
                                                    @ron-z

Bikram – Yes, you can change the dates.

• #10922 Reply
                                                    Ron Zablocki
                                                      @ron-z

John – Lorna wants to come with me on this. Can you find out if she also needs to be an MOA member, and if the cost is the same for a pillion? Thanks!

• #10935 Reply
                                                      Joe Alwan
                                                      Participant
                                                        @jalwan

Does StreetMasters offer an insurance option? Would like to buy a 1 day policy to cover my bike just for the workshop. Pretty sure my insurance does not cover this kind of training on a closed course.

• #10936 Reply
                                                        Jim Foreman
                                                        Participant
                                                          @jimmy

Hi Joe,

The answer is no. I am not aware of ANY insurance company that does not cover your bike because it’s on a closed course.
                                                          The exemption often confused is an ‘Organized Race.’ This is not.
                                                          This comes up all the time for Track Days, too. Your insurance policy is valid during a track day.
                                                          Please call up your carrier and specify that this is in no way an organized race, but rather Professional training offered on a closed course. You’ll find your normal coverage is in effect.
                                                          You will also need to provide proof of valid insurance to even take the course.

I hope this offers a positive direction and an answer to your questions.

Jim

• #10947 Reply
                                                          Jim Foreman
                                                          Participant
                                                            @jimmy

Joe and I have been having quite a few enlightening conversations that illustrate that I was misinformed about this issue.

CA policies are a bit of a different beast than the rest of the country.

From Joe and his findings…
                                                            “I found a solution. I checked 2 companies that would cover the PCW. Dairyland Insurance, which was ridiculously expensive. And Foremost Insurance, which was only 10% (~$60/yr) more than my Progressive policy. And that doesn’t include a discount I’ll get for taking the PCW course.

So, I’m going to switch from Progressive to Foremost before the workshop.

Foremost is actually owned by Farmers. So you can get the policy from a Farmers agent. Foremost is also carried by a lot of independent insurance brokers. I’m getting my new Foremost policy from my existing independent agent. She’s awesome if you want/need to refer anyone else for insurance that covers the workshop.

Kathy Skupa
                                                            General Insurance Services
                                                            San Clemente
                                                            (949) 661-2201
                                                            http://www.gen-ins.com

Seems like it would be good to put this info on the South Coast BMW Riders Club forum. Do you want to do that, or should I?

Looking forward to the workshop!”

Thank You, Joe, for the diligence and follow-up.

Jim

• #10950 Reply
                                                            Karl Wagner
                                                            Participant
                                                              @sharons-hubby

Sorry, what is PCW? I would like to check to see if my AAA policy covers.

Thanks

• #10951 Reply
                                                              Joe Alwan
                                                              Participant
                                                                @jalwan

PCW = Precision Cornering Workshop

That’s the name of the course that StreetMasters offers. And it’s the one we’re doing Oct 26-27

• #10952 Reply
                                                                Joe Alwan
                                                                Participant
                                                                  @jalwan

As Jim pointed out, if your insurance company says you’re not covered for this kind of training, ask them to give you the exact language from your policy that applies. My Progressive policy specifically excluded “any riding activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack or racecourse”. There was no way around that, which is why I’ve switched to Foremost Insurance.

• #10953 Reply
                                                                  Karl Wagner
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    @sharons-hubby

Thanks Joe, worth checking into. If they define “Race Track” or “Race Course” as any course designed for competitive activity or similar, we may have trouble with other type of ativities with these insurances. It focuses on the type of facility we are at and not the activity we are doing, in the Streetmasters case, training.

• #10968 Reply
                                                                    John Crittenden
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @john-c

To get back to the Main Subject, we have about 15-16 sign-ups on this PCS (Precision Cornering Workshop). Not good. I spoke to Walt Fulton today and discussed some options.

To reiterate, this is valuable training—–the normal StreetMasters rate is $390. We are being give a 20% discount, to $312. Plus (if you are an MOA member), a $100 training award following the completion of the event.

We wanted this for the SCBMWRC but an option is to extend this offer to any BMW bike owner who wants to participate. We will discuss this at our next Board and General Meeting.

Please take advantage of this—-we are doing this for the Club. I know that I could have used this training (as well as any training) years ago, and honestly, you would spend this much on a farkle or two. Or auxiliary lights. This is much more valuable, in my humble opinion.

I am also going to start a new thread to keep this at the top of the list!

• #10974 Reply
                                                                      Ron Zablocki
                                                                        @ron-z

John – Were you able to find out what the cost for pillion riders would be?

• #10976 Reply
                                                                        John Crittenden
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          @john-c

Yes, Nancy Foote told me a pillion would be $30, half off what they normally charge.

• #11231 Reply
                                                                          Ron Zablocki
                                                                          Moderator
                                                                            @ron-z

Unfortunately I’m going to have to pull out of this event. Lorna’s dad just passed away and we’re headed to the Philippines late next week and will be there through the following week.

I really wanted to attend this, but life just gets in the way sometimes. Also my bike is STILL in the shop for the reverse issue, and no timeframe yet on when it’ll be resolved. I hope everyone has a fun and safe time!

• #11250 Reply
                                                                            John Crittenden
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @john-c

Sorry to hear, Ron. Understood.

Also, this is a reminder that if you haven’t signed up on StreetMasters (i.e. paid), please do so. This is coming up in less than two weeks!

If anyone wants to ride to Lancaster Saturday, we can meet at Panera/Starbucks in La Canada, leaving by 1 p.m. I’ll have a route through the mountains, etc.

Looking forward to this weekend!

• #11251 Reply
                                                                              Joe Alwan
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                @jalwan

Sounds good – see you at Starbucks

• #11264 Reply
                                                                                Chris Roady
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @chris

It seems I forgot to mention this weekends Fall Colors trip to the Mrs .. along with a few other planned trips. Uhmmm … since we have 2 of our grandkids for the weekend of StreetMasters (and in light of this most recent fopa), I will be staying home instead of taking advantage of the opportunity with StreetMasters. Have fun at Willow Springs!

• #11265 Reply
                                                                                  John Crittenden
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    @john-c

I have to make a comment here—–Danny, Walt and Nancy, Jim F, and I have put a good amount of time and effort into making this StreetMasters class available to our Club, at a very reasonable cost. In addition to the invaluable training the class offers.

We have about 13 in our Club that are signed up, out of over 90 members. I’m grateful to those who are going. And disappointed in the low turnout. Enough said.

• #11266 Reply
                                                                                    Chris Roady
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      @chris

Sorry to disappoint you John … family has to take priority for me in this case.

• #11272 Reply
                                                                                      Stuart Sorkin
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @s2wheels

I thought I had signed up for this training a while ago but then went on the ‘MOA getaways (CO & UT) so forgot about it. I haven’t received any mailings regarding the status of the arrangements so I just finished reading the Forum page and am asking if it’s still a “go” and if I and my wife are signed up.
                                                                                        I made a reservation at the BW and found – after the fact – that it defaulted to three nights so I’m gonna call them to change it to two nights (Saturday + Sunday) since I don’t need to travel there a day+ early.

• #11274 Reply
                                                                                          Danny Wassenaar
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @danny-w

Great to hear you and your wife plan to go Stuart! When you signed up for Streetmasters using their website, you would have likely received a reply shortly afterwards from Nancy Foote referencing your order number. Double check your email history and/or contact her at Streetmasters <[email protected]> to confirm you are paid up and good to go. Also, btw, most of the attendees are riding back on Sunday after the training and are staying at the hotel only one night (Sat). Look forward to seeing you at the event!

• #11275 Reply
                                                                                          Danny Wassenaar
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @danny-w

FYI, Elaine and I are meeting up Saturday at Irv Seavers at 11am if anyone attending Streetmasters is interested and wanting to ride up together to meet John Crittenden at Panera Cafe in La Canada. We should have about an hour to eat lunch there before we leave with John at 1pm and ride to the event.

• #11276 Reply
                                                                                            Joe Alwan
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @jalwan

Hey Danny – I’ll meet you at Irv Seaver at 11am and join you for the ride up to Panera

• #11281 Reply
                                                                                              Jim Foreman
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                @jimmy

Hi Stuart,

You are currently NOT registered for the Streetmasters course. Many members indicated they were going on this site but did not realize that it’s not actually a registration.

Please go to https://streetmasters.pro/product/10-27-19-pcw-southcoast to sign up yourself and your wife.

There is still room and you both would be an excellent addition to the class.

Jim

• #11282 Reply
                                                                                                Jim Foreman
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  @jimmy

My Friends,

If you have not gone to the Streetmasters Website to enroll in the special training class, you are NOT REGISTERED. This is the last chance to register for this one-off course. It’s been heavily discounted to present every opportunity to say, “Yes!” and become a better rider in the process.

Please don’t delay.

https://streetmasters.pro/product/10-27-19-pcw-southcoast

Jim

• #11289 Reply
                                                                                                  Stuart Sorkin
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    @s2wheels

Okay, I/we are resolved. We signed up. And we’ll join those meeting at Irv’s to ride to Panera’s in La C for lunch.

• #11296 Reply
                                                                                                    Erasmo Brenes
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @erasmo-b

Hi Danny,

I’ll be joining you guys at Irv Seaver for the ride to Panera in La Cañada.

• #11302 Reply
                                                                                                      John Crittenden
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        @john-c

I will be working Saturday morning, but still should be able to be at Panera around 1pm. Might be closet to 1:30. If it works out I cannot make it, I will let Danny know.

• #11304 Reply
                                                                                                        Rob Tripp
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          @rob

Danny,
                                                                                                          I’ll meet you at Seaver’s.

Rob

• #11305 Reply
                                                                                                          Warren Belkin
                                                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                                                            @wbelkin

Hope to make it to Irv Seaver’s as well. Just got home from a work trip – so bit of a scramble

• #11306 Reply
                                                                                                            Joe Alwan
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              @jalwan

THAT was an awesome day! Huge thanks to John and Danny for organizing. Walt and Nancy and the whole Streetmasters team did a great job. Thanks also to StreetMasters, MOA, and Irv Seaver BMW for sponsoring! Oh, and also to Erasmo for leading a ride home on the Angeles Forest Highway so we could put our new skills to work in the twisties!

• #11311 Reply
                                                                                                              Erasmo Brenes
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                @erasmo-b

Ditto on the thanks to John, Danny, Elaine and the Streetmaster’s team. It was a great weekend with the great
                                                                                                                company!
                                                                                                                Joe, glad that you got to practice your new skills on the Angeles Forest Highway 🙂
                                                                                                                And kudos to Rob for showing us how he can split on the I-210 🙂

• #11312 Reply
                                                                                                                John Crittenden
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  @john-c

Great time here, too, for Beth and I. Glad all enjoyed and learned! And we had some new and newer members there====Ray, Gilbert, Ed, Mark.

I didn’t take many photos, but if any of you did, can you send to me and I can put them in with my writeup for the next Newsletter (December, as I won’t get it done in time for Brandon).

• #11313 Reply
                                                                                                                  Joe Alwan
                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                    @jalwan

Hey John – I believe Nancy said all the pics they took would be put up on the StreetMasters website. Not there yet, and I don’t know when it will happen. But they’ll all be available for download at some point.

• #11314 Reply
                                                                                                                    Jim Foreman
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                      @jimmy

Hi Joe and John,
                                                                                                                      I have the photos and am going to process them this week. They should be posted up by Friday, if not sooner.

If you have a moment and are on Facebook, your review of the course would help Walt and Nancy connect with other riders just like you.

If you have a moment, please leave a review of Streetmasters. I’ll put the link below.

Streetmasters Review Page`

Jim

• #11316 Reply
                                                                                                                      John Crittenden
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                        @john-c

Done, Jim. But no photos yet.

• #11317 Reply
                                                                                                                        Jim Foreman
                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                          @jimmy

Working on them as I write this. There’s a lot of photos of the amazing gang of riders.

Jim

• #11318 Reply
                                                                                                                          Jim Foreman
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            @jimmy

The photos by both Elaine Wassenaar and Fred Rau of the class and training day are now posted up and online on the Streetmasters website.

They are available for individual download if you only want your own pics. You can also download the entire set.

Either way, I hope you like ’em.

Jim

Streetmasters SCBMWRC 10-27-19

• #11319 Reply
                                                                                                                            Joe Alwan
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              @jalwan

Hey Jim – tried to download some individual images and the file that got downloaded is a small 1kb file that is not recognizable or viewable as an image. I’ve attached an example of the downloads that I received. I have not tried downloading all the images. Could you test and let me know if it works for you? Thanks, Joe.

• #11320 Reply
                                                                                                                              Joe Alwan
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                @jalwan

Jim – not sure why, but the example download I tried to attach doesn’t work. Perhaps the forum doesn’t recognize the file type. Happy to send you an example some other way – just let me know.

• #11321 Reply
                                                                                                                                Jim Foreman
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  @jimmy

Hi Joe,

Thanks for letting me know. It was an errant checkbox. The gallery should be fixed and either individually or fully downloadable.

Jim

• #11496 Reply
                                                                                                                                  Joe Alwan
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                    @jalwan

Brandon’s Nov/Dec newsletter reminded me about the $100 from MOA for each StreetMasters participant. I don’t believe I’ve seen that yet. Is there an update on when/how it will be distributed?

• #11498 Reply
                                                                                                                                    Chris Roady
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                      @chris

Joe,
                                                                                                                                      The funds have been received from MOA and will be distributed soon by the Treasurer, Danny W.

• #11500 Reply
                                                                                                                                      John Crittenden
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        @john-c

Might be a special gift for the Streetmasters grads at the Christmas party…….

Viewing 62 reply threads
                                                                                                                                    Reply To: StreetMasters 26-27 October 2019

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                                                    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: