San Bernardino Mtn Camp and Ride, Off and On-Road  – Update as of 8-13-18!

San Bernardino Mtn Camp and Ride, Off and On-Road – Update as of 8-13-18!

Forums Calendar Events San Bernardino Mtn Camp and Ride, Off and On-Road – Update as of 8-13-18!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #8449 Reply
    Karl Wagner
    Participant
      @sharons-hubby

THE SIGNUP FOR THIS EVENT EXCEEDED OUR PLANNING, GOOD NEWS! WE HAVE 29 PEOPLE SIGNED UP, 25 ARE CAMPERS, 4 NON-CAMPERS, ON 25 BIKES, 7 OFF-ROAD AND 18 ON-ROAD! WITH THESE NUMBERS AND OTHER REQUESTS, WE HAVE A FEW CHANGES NEEDED TO MAKE THIS A SUCCESSFUL WEEKEND, NOTED BELOW. PLEASE READ! MEET UP LOCATION AND TIMES HAVE CHANGED AS WELL AS THE MEAL PLAN. I ASSUME ALL WHO HAVE INDICATED THEY ARE COMING ARE COMMITTED TO THE $30/PERSON CAMP FEE, OR $20/PERSON MEALS FOR NON-CAMPERS. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR YOU NO LATER THAN TUESDAY AS WE ARE SHOPPING WEDNESDAY, THANK YOU!
      We are hitting the 2018-2019 riding year off with a ride up through the San Bernardino Mountains for a weekend of beginner/intermediate off-road AND on-road routes! Chris Roady will lead the on-road route and I will lead the off-road route both Saturday and Sunday. We have THREE CAMPSITES, 8, 17 and 26, at North Shore Campground near Lake Arrowhead, CA. The CAMPSITE #26 will be the meet up spot for rides, MEALS SERVED, dinner Saturday night and Breakfast Sunday morning! CAMPFIRES WILL BE AT SITES #8 AND #17.
      Here are the details:
      OFF ROAD GROUP – SATURDAY 9AM – OUR MEETUP WILL BE AT THE NORTH SHORE CAMPGROUND AT LAKE ARROWHEAD (29102 Hospital Rd, San Bernardino, CA 92402, SITE #26. THIS WILL ALLOW US TO HIT THE TRAIL EARLIER IN THE DAY, RIDE A BIT LONGER AND TAKE MORE SCENIC DETOURS. SEVERAL RIDERS ARE PERSONALLY RESERVING SITE 17 FRIDAY NIGHT AND HEADING UP FRIDAY. CALL ME IF YOU WANT INFO.
      ON ROAD GROUP – SATURDAY 9AM – MEET UP AT IRV SEAVERS, KSU 9:20AM. CHRIS ROADY WILL LEAD THE GROUP UP ACROSS ANGELES CREST AND MANY MORE NICE ROADS ON THE WAY TO LAKE ARROWHEAD, MORE DETAILS IN HIS POST BELOW.
      —Dinner at Camp approx 7pm Saturday
      Camping will be $30 dollars per person for the site, firewood and Saturday Dinner, and Sunday Breakfast. Your extra vehicle parking fee, if charged will be reimbursed. Those staying at a hotel are welcome for dinner/desert, breakfast and campfire at $20/person.
      NEW MEAL PLAN – Dinner will be Steak Chili, Cornbread, Potato Salad, and Lemonade. BYOB other refreshments. Breakfast will be Pancakes, sausage, and orange juice, with fried eggs for the GF folks. We will have Ice boxes to keep drinks and other food cool if you like. We will have cutlery, glasses, plates and napkins.
      SUNDAY – BREAKFAST 8-9AM, DEPARTURE DETAILS AND OFF-ROAD AS WELL AS ON-ROAD ROUTES WILL BE DISCUSSED. AT SITE #26.

Final List of Attendees:
      a) Off-Road+Camp – # Persons / # Tent / # Bike
      1/1/1 Karl W
      2/1/2 Sharon W
      3/2/3 Eric W
      4/3/4 Adam R
      5/4/5Chuck W
      6/5/6 Roberto G
      7/6/7 Tim McC..
      7/-/-Tim’s Girlfriend
      b) Road+Camp – # Persons / # Tent / # Bike
      9/7/8 Chris R
      10/8/9 Erasmo B
      11/8/- Diane B (extra car to park in overflow at fee)
      12/9/10 Rick C
      13/9/11Lisa C
      14/10/12 Noel S
      15/11/13Troy S
      16/11/14 Michelle S
      17/12/15 Danny W
      18/12/15 Elaine W
      19/13/16 Mike Romo
      20/14/17 Brandon W
      21/15/18 Rob T
      22/15/18 Kellie T
      23/16/19 Steve B
      24/16/20 Celia B
      25/17/21Perk
      c) Road + Hotel/Other – # Persons / # Tent / # Bike
      26/-/22 Ron Z
      27/-/23 Jesse Vaca
      28/-/24 Steve L
      29/-/25 Jan L
      29 People
      17 Tents
      25 Bikes
      ALL ABOVE ARE PAYING FOR $30/PERSON CAMPER, $20/PERSON NON-CAMPER FOR THE WEEKEND, UNO.
      Click here for Calendar Event

Viewing 62 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #8470 Reply
        Erasmo Brenes
        Participant
          @erasmo-b

Put us (Diane and I) as very likely 🙂

• #8471 Reply
          Karl Wagner
          Participant
            @sharons-hubby

Great Erasmo and Diane, when you decide, reservations at the Mt. Laguna lodge and the tickets for the music fest need to be done by each individual. I was unable to get an group reservation, the lodge is pretty simple.

This will not be StageCoach….. don’t get Daines hopes up!

• #8472 Reply
            Erasmo Brenes
            Participant
              @erasmo-b

Karl,

I thought this was the San Berdu camping? What music festival are you referring to?

• #8473 Reply
              Chuck Waychoff
              Participant
                @chuck-w

Hey Karl – I am in for camping and off-roading! Thank you for organizing the trip.

• #8474 Reply
                Michael Pirosh
                Participant
                  @mpirosh

I am in for San Bernadino road trip. Please let me know about hotels

• #8476 Reply
                  Richard Catarineau
                  Keymaster
                    @rick-webmaster

Lisa and Rick are in for camping!

(And I’ll add this to the Ride List and also add the links between this forum and the Calendar)

P.S. I changed your calendar event and forum topic from “Sat 8/8” to “Sat 8/18”. Correct?

• #8496 Reply
                    Larry Troffer
                    Participant
                      @larry-troffer

Karl I plan to go.

• #8497 Reply
                      Karl Wagner
                      Participant
                        @sharons-hubby

Oh Boy, I have to stop doing this late at night…..

Erasmo, yes this is the San Berdu trip…. with Diane coming I was thinking music. :0 Will you be camping?

Rick, thanks for the correction, yes date should be 8/18…. thanks for getting it on the ride list

Larry, Chuck and Mike P, thanks for the response.

Bring ideas for routes to the August meeting or email me. I have a few in mind but it will be a group “Adventure” for the off road riders!

• #8502 Reply
                        Erasmo Brenes
                        Participant
                          @erasmo-b

Karl,

Yes, Diane and I will be camping.
                          Thanks for putting this trip together!

• #8503 Reply
                          Eric Wolf
                          Keymaster
                            @wolf

Hi Karl,
                            Count me in for camping and off road.
                            thanks,
                            Eric

• #8504 Reply
                            Karl Wagner
                            Participant
                              @sharons-hubby

Great to hear Eric.
                              Here is what we have as of the above responses and ride list.
                              People – 13
                              Camping – 12
                              Hotel – 1
                              Bikes – 12
                              Street – 8
                              Off-Road – 5
                              Cars – 2
                              Tents – 9
                              Hotel – 1
                              We will certainly have enough to make dinner Saturday night and bfast Sunday morning part of the trip. I will firm up the menue and cost and post soon.
                              Will be a nice close get away with a good warm up off road for most of us. Chuck, may get you to give a short campfire off-road clinic based on what you see Saturday!
                              Looking forward to it!

• #8505 Reply
                              Adam Ray
                              Participant
                                @araytime

Im in if there still room at campsite.

• #8506 Reply
                                Karl Wagner
                                Participant
                                  @sharons-hubby

Great Adam, yes we have room. I have procured the two remaining campsites in this campground to accommodate the growing group, 13 campers at the point and capacity for few more.
                                  Look forward to riding with you.

• #8595 Reply
                                  Rob Tripp
                                  Participant
                                    @rob

Kellie and I are going,camping!

• #8596 Reply
                                    Brandon Wilson
                                    Keymaster
                                      @brandon-w

I am in and might have the chance to drag Ivy, she is 50/50 🙂

• #8597 Reply
                                      Ron Zablocki
                                        @ron-z

I’m a possible maybe. If I can go, it’ll be on-road and hoteling. I should know by next week.

• #8598 Reply
                                        Ron Zablocki
                                          @ron-z

Karl – Where did you see that $111 price for the Northbay @ Arrowhead? I just checked and the website is showing me $175 for the night of 8/18.

• #8599 Reply
                                          Karl Wagner
                                          Participant
                                            @sharons-hubby

Cool Rob&Kellie, Brandon&Ivy, and Ron! The more the merrier. That makes it 18 people, 16 camping. Going to need final numbers by the club meeting in a few weeks to commit to food for dinner and bfast.
                                            Ron, I got that price from a simple google search a few weeks back. Just did it again and see what you see. Sorry, nice looking place though.

Will be working on routes with Roady this weekend and pre-riding some of the off-road to see if the maps “easy” is appropriate! Going to get a little dirty this Saturday! 🙂
                                            16-17 campers, 1-2 hotel, about 10-11 tents…. something like that…

• #8602 Reply
                                            Troy Stone
                                            Participant
                                              @stonetroy

If there is still camping room Michele and I will be there. 2 bikes 2 campers. I’ll wait to hear.

Troy

• #8609 Reply
                                              Karl Wagner
                                              Participant
                                                @sharons-hubby

Yes Troy and Michelle, we have room for you at camp. Will you be riding off-road or street?

Everyone, keep an eye out for further information being posted in upcoming weeks regarding meals, route etc.

• #8612 Reply
                                                Troy Stone
                                                Participant
                                                  @stonetroy

Street. Thanks. Looking forward to it!!! See you then

• #8614 Reply
                                                  Ron Zablocki
                                                    @ron-z

For those hoteling it, which hotel did you choose and what price did you get?

• #8631 Reply
                                                    Jessie Vaca
                                                    Participant
                                                      @jtb-vaca

Double Tree in San Bernardino
                                                      285 E Hospitality Ln
                                                      San Bernardino, CA 92408
                                                      United States
                                                      It’s supposed to be 32 miles away from the campground. But at least I know it’s clean and the AARP price is 139.40.
                                                      The hotels closer to the campground were more expensive and questionable on quality.
                                                      If you have a suggestion For something closer to the camp im open to it.

• #8632 Reply
                                                      Jessie Vaca
                                                      Participant
                                                        @jtb-vaca

The hotel at north bay was 175.00, I just checked on trip advisor they have rooms for 166.00 now. It might be worth it? Maybe I should change

• #8633 Reply
                                                        Jessie Vaca
                                                        Participant
                                                          @jtb-vaca

The hotel at north bay was 175.00, I just checked on trip advisor they have rooms for 166.00 now. It might be worth it? Maybe I should change

• #8634 Reply
                                                          Jessie Vaca
                                                          Participant
                                                            @jtb-vaca

Ron just booked a queen room at deep creek hotel in running springs ca.
                                                            85.60 total cost
                                                            11 miles to campsites

Not sure if it’s a better choice but it’s closer and cheaper

• #8666 Reply
                                                            Mike Romo
                                                            Participant
                                                              @boots-mcgregor

If there is still room, I’d like to be included to camp.
                                                              1 tent and 1 bike.
                                                              I will be at the Saturday meeting.
                                                              Thanks

• #8667 Reply
                                                              Ron Zablocki
                                                                @ron-z

Hi Karl – were you planning on putting a GPS (on-road) route together for the ride?

• #8668 Reply
                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                Participant
                                                                  @sharons-hubby

TBD Ron, Chris is leading the road route, not sure, may be follow the leader. We can discuss this weekend at the club meeting.

• #8669 Reply
                                                                  Karl Wagner
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    @sharons-hubby

Always room for Mike Romo! Glad you are going Mike!

• #8676 Reply
                                                                    Mike Romo
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @boots-mcgregor

Thank you, looking forward to it.
                                                                      See you all tomorrow.

• #8681 Reply
                                                                      Steven Bennett
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @steven-b

Celia and I will be going. If anyone is driving a mule to carry stuff please let us know, we have some extra chairs we can bring. Also we need to pay for our campsite.
                                                                        Thanks,
                                                                        Steve Bennett

• #8683 Reply
                                                                        Karl Wagner
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          @sharons-hubby

Ok, Looks like we are full on the campsites and need to start a waiting list if there are any more interested. Please let me know as we will likely have late drop outs.

For now by the notes above, the ride list and verbal discussions I have the following list of attendees, PLEASE let me know if there are any changes, otherwise by one week before I will assume you coming and are committed to $30/Person (Camping, Sat Dinner, Sun Bfast) or $20/person for hotel bikes (Sat Dinner, Sun Bfast). See above for meal details. Remember it is a BYOB beverage if you would like anything more than Lemonade for Dinner or Orange juice for bfast:
                                                                          a) Off-Road
                                                                          Karl W
                                                                          Sharon W
                                                                          Eric W
                                                                          Adam R
                                                                          Chuck W
                                                                          Roberto G
                                                                          Tim McC..
                                                                          b) Road
                                                                          Chris R
                                                                          Erasmo B / Diane B
                                                                          Rick C
                                                                          Lisa C
                                                                          Bill A
                                                                          Larry T
                                                                          Troy S
                                                                          Michelle S
                                                                          Danny W / Elaine W
                                                                          Mike Romo
                                                                          Brandon W / (Ivy?)
                                                                          Rob T / Kellie T
                                                                          Steve B / Celia B
                                                                          Mike P
                                                                          Ron Z
                                                                          Jesse V

Looks like 27 South Coasters coming out for this event, so much for a slow Summer! I know Sharon and I can count on hands to help with camp meal prep and clean up!

• #8684 Reply
                                                                          Bill Allen
                                                                          Blocked
                                                                            @lucky

I’m out.

• #8687 Reply
                                                                            David Omlor
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @david

Karl – regarding your attendee list: if Mike P is supposed to be Mike Pirosh, then delete from your list. Mike Pirosh will not be on this ride. Cheers!

• #8689 Reply
                                                                              Roberto Giraldes
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                @beto

David, is Mike Pirosh ok? Did something happen?

• #8690 Reply
                                                                                David Omlor
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @david

Mike is as fine as wine and as frisky as whisky. He does not tent-camp and did not find an acceptable local motel for this ride. I am riding with Mike Thursday possibly to Oceanside for lunch. You (and anyone reading this note) are welcome to join if you wish. just a short trip along the hopefully cooler coast – because we ride to eat!

• #8693 Reply
                                                                                  Karl Wagner
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    @sharons-hubby

Thanks for the updates Bill and David, appreciate knowing, very glad Mike is “as frisky as whisky” …. like that one!

Karl

• #8694 Reply
                                                                                    Larry Troffer
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      @larry-troffer

Karl it looks like I need to get to North Carolina this month. I won’t be able to make this ride after all.

• #8695 Reply
                                                                                      Karl Wagner
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @sharons-hubby

Understand Larry, safe travels to you and Trish.

• #8696 Reply
                                                                                        Noel Shelton
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          @noelshle

I’m in for camping. I will be riding up after work (noon-ish) on the 18th and will meet you at the campground (unless I catch up to you on the way). 😉

Noel

• #8701 Reply
                                                                                          Michael Pirosh
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @mpirosh

Karl,

Sorry I forgot to update you about the San Bernardino ride. I won’t be joining the ride because, as David said, I couldn’t find a hotel/motel. Have a great time!!

• #8702 Reply
                                                                                            Karl Wagner
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @sharons-hubby

Sorry to here Mike, thanks for confirming.

See you at the September Gen Meeting at Mt. Baldy!

• #8704 Reply
                                                                                              Steve Leo
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                @steve

Jan and I have been able to work it out to go on the San Bernardino Mtn Ride. We will be leaving from Sunland-Tujunga with Rick and Lisa C going over the 2 and up the backside of the mountains to Lake Gregory and on to Lake Arrowhead. We will be staying in a BnB about 10 minutes from the campsite. Good deals on AirBnb. A couple of really nice places for $80 to $90. Plan to join in on the evening festivities at the campsite.

• #8706 Reply
                                                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  @sharons-hubby

Got it Leo’s, thnaks
                                                                                                  Dinner & Bfast at camp for $20/person!

• #8722 Reply
                                                                                                  Chris Roady
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    @chris

* For the Street Crew*

Let’s meet at Irv’s at 9:00 am for a pre ride meet and KSU around 9:20 on Sat morning. We will be riding the route discussed at the last club meeting, which is the 57 to the 210 to Angeles Crest. Up Hwy 2 to lunch in Wrightwood. From there ride over to Silverwood, up the 138 to Twin Peaks. Drop down Grass Valley Rd to Deer Lodge Park and catch the 173 to the campground.

Sunday I’m thinking a later start around 10-11 for those interested and we’ll take Kuffell Canyon to Hwy 18, go around the backside of Big Bear Lake and drop down the 38 on the frontside to Mentone and the 10 home.

I will upload GPS tracks in a day or two on here, so check back if interested in a route to upload. It sounds like we are going to have a pretty good size crew heading up, so we may want to break into two groups. I would ask those of you going to consider if you’d be willing to lead a 2nd group or ride sweep on either of the groups.

We won’t be riding a ton of miles, but they will definitely be fun ones! Looking forward to riding and camping with all of you 👍🏻

• #8723 Reply
                                                                                                    Noel Shelton
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @noelshle

I will be leaving work in Irvine about noon Saturday. If you’re still in Wrightwood, I’ll catch up to you there. If not, I’ll see you at camp. DO NOT wait for me. Anyone wanting to call me from Wrightwood, I’ll have my BT on. 281-796-8795

See you Saturday,
                                                                                                      Noel

• #8724 Reply
                                                                                                      Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                                        @ron-z

Awesome Chris! 👍🏼

• #8726 Reply
                                                                                                        Steve “Perk” Perkio
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          @perk

I’m a new member and had RSVP’d on Facebook in mid July.

I didn’t realize that I needed to check in here and had updated my attendence on the ride list earlier this week.

Is there still food & camping space available?

If it’s full, that’s ok I can always find stuff to do.

Regards,
                                                                                                          Perk

• #8727 Reply
                                                                                                          Karl Wagner
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            @sharons-hubby

Hi Perk,

Yes, we can accommodate you, welcome. Please keep an eye on this site. I have an update coming.

I assume you will be riding with the road group, correct?

Karl

• #8728 Reply
                                                                                                            Steve “Perk” Perkio
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              @perk

Yes, I will stick to the pavement this trip.

Thanks

• #8735 Reply
                                                                                                              Karl Wagner
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                @sharons-hubby

Please see latest update on plans at top of thread. Going to be a fun weekend, we have a big group going!

See you all Saturday….

• #8743 Reply
                                                                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  @sharons-hubby

On the FAQ’s for this weekend’s Camping Trip:

– There is running water and flushing facilities, BUT NO showers, sorry.
                                                                                                                  – Parking will be Bikes at the campsites, we have something like 7 bikes per site, ok by the host, just keep them on pavement and off the road.
                                                                                                                  – Yes, refunds are available if desired.

Looking forward to this weekend!

• #8744 Reply
                                                                                                                  Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                                    @ron-z

Hi Karl – Not sure if I mentioned this to you, but Lorna will be with me for this ride, and we’re staying at the Deep Creek Motel. Just wanted to make sure you have an accurate head count.

• #8745 Reply
                                                                                                                    Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                      @sharons-hubby

Thanks Ron, I have you down for two, one bike, non-campers, On-Road, dinner and bast $20/person.

Thanks,

Karl

• #8755 Reply
                                                                                                                      Chris Roady
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                        @chris

Hopefully this works …. Street Ride GPS Route attached.

• #8757 Reply
                                                                                                                        Bill Allen
                                                                                                                        Blocked
                                                                                                                          @lucky

25 campers on short notice? Fantastic!

• #8758 Reply
                                                                                                                          Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                                                            @ron-z

Hey Chris – I’ll take a look at your GPS route tomorrow evening and see if I’m able to tweak it.

• #8759 Reply
                                                                                                                            Chris Roady
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              @chris

I think it is fine Ron, but thanks

• #8760 Reply
                                                                                                                              Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                @sharons-hubby

Ok Off-Road riders, attached are the routes for Sat and Sun in Tyre format as well as GPX. These are a guide with a guarantee we will deviate, intentionally or unintentionally! 🙂

Bring any physical maps you have, I will have a few, but it is every riders responsibility to navigate by GPS or map.

See you at Lake Arrowhead,

Karl

• #8766 Reply
                                                                                                                                Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                                                                  @ron-z

Hey Chris – Check your FB Messenger. I had a couple questions on your route, and wanted to see if we could swap mobile numbers.

• #8769 Reply
                                                                                                                                  Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                                                    @ron-z

Hey Karl – Thanks for putting all of this together!
                                                                                                                                    What time is brekkie on Sunday morning?

• #8770 Reply
                                                                                                                                    Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                      @sharons-hubby

Your welcome Ron. Please see details at top of post. Thanks

Viewing 62 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  Reply To: San Bernardino Mtn Camp and Ride, Off and On-Road – Update as of 8-13-18!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                                                  Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: