NBR: Cigars?

Forums General NBR: Cigars?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #12255 Reply
    Erasmo Brenes
    Participant
      @erasmo-b

To pass the pandemic lockdown, I’m looking for hobbies to restart. Thus, the question to the cigar aficionados
      in the club:

1. Where do you buy/get your cigars from? Local or Web?
      2. What are your favorite brands, types?
      3. Do you really need a humidor? if so, what brand?

Thanks,

Erasmo
      PS: If you’d like to add the accompanying whiskey,brandy, etc to go with the cigar, you get bonus points.
      (In case someone needs to know, NBR == Not Bike Related)

Viewing 27 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #12256 Reply
        David Eastly
        Participant
          @dave

1. jrcigars.com

2. Arturo Fuente, Romeo Y Julieta, El Rey Del Mundo, Upman, Nat Sherman etc.. Get a sampler and see what you like. I smoke bargain cigars when I’m riding, in case I need to toss it.

3. Eventually yes. They have them on the JR website. I have one for you.

PS; A nice bourbon – Woodford’s Reserve or Eagle Rare – or glass of port wine.

NBR

• #12257 Reply
          Chris Roady
          Participant
            @chris

I prefer Maduro’s which are a bit stronger than you might like at first. My personal preference is also for a box press which means it is semi square .. just has a better feel to me. Finally, you will find the Region you like best, but I have a very strong preference for Nicaraguan leaf. Most of the Cuban cigar makers opened up farms in Nicaragua after fleeing Castro and/or to get past the US embargo due to it’s similarity to growing in Cuba. I have had some wonderful Cuban cigars, but there is definitely an element of hype to them also based on not being able to get them for so many years. You will quickly find what you like and do not. Here is a Cigar message board called Brothers of the Leaf that will answer any questions you might have. https://www.botl.org/

My favorite shop is Famous Smoke .. here is a link to their page and my favorite cigar. The Padron 1964 Anniversario (just enjoyed one tonight).
            https://www.famous-smoke.com/search?kw=Padron%201964%20maduro

The other shop I frequent is called Cigars International and here is a link to Rocky Patel cigars from there. They are a good, consistent mid priced cigar that will not disappoint.
            https://www.cigarsinternational.com/shop/?q=Rocky+Patel

Enjoy Erasmo, I often compare having a good cigar to those who love wine sitting down for a glass of their favorite. It is a relaxing and pleasant way to unwind and enjoy good conversation, peace and quiet, whatever it is that brings you peace and joy.

• #12262 Reply
            Erasmo Brenes
            Participant
              @erasmo-b

Thanks for the replies/info. I’ve placed an order on jrcigars.com for (based on another recommendation):

Oliva Serie V Melanio Robusto
              Arturo Fuente Sun Grown Double

I’ve also been told to check out:

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Eye of the Shark
              Arturo Fuente Casa Cuba Double Cuatro, or Double Seis
              EP Carrillo Las Historia III
              EP Carrillo Encore Majestic

Haven’t been able to find them (mostly sold out or not carried by them).

David, thanks for the suggestion on the bourbon πŸ™‚ Which Arturo Fuente do you like, Romeo y Julieta?
              Chris, thanks for the links and info. I’ve tried the Cubans when I go abroad and prefer Cohiba or Montecristo, but I’ve been told of very good Dominican or Nicaraguan, as you mention. So, question: Which brands do you like?

• #12263 Reply
              Chris Roady
              Participant
                @chris

My favorite brand is Padron. I actually started with Romeo & Julietta cigars years ago and they are a quality cigar with great consistency .. box after box (that is important). They are typically a bit too mild for my liking now, but I did just finish a box of one of their new offerings. I enjoyed it but won’t be purchasing another box. I also always enjoy most of Rocky Patel’s cigars. Of the ones you have ordered, I have bought more boxes of the Oliva Serie V Melanio Robusto than I can remember and think it is an excellent cigar. I have also bought 2 or 3 (maybe more) boxes of Arturo Fuente Sun Grown Double over the last few years and enjoy them as well. Not enough to place on my favorites list, but certainly enough to buy a full box of them multiple times when I see them on sale.

You asked about humidors .. my answer is a definite YES … cigars are again like fine wine in that most improve with age, if aged properly. I try to maintain a stock in my humidor so I can age them rather than immediately receiving and smoking them. They should be maintained in the ballpark of 70% humidity and 70 degrees Fahrenheit give or take. Until you get a humidor you should at minimum store them in a tupperware container with a tiny bit of sponge damp with distilled water. This will work fine and save your investment from drying out, tasting bad and burning too hot. Keep your eyes out at JR, Famous-Smoke, Cigar International, etc. since they have specials every now and then where you buy a box of cigars and they will sale accessories for pennies on the dollar. I have received many desktop humidors that way. When all this “Stay at Home” stuff ends, perhaps you can come to Brea and have a stick with me. We can discuss in more detail and I would love to show you the humidor I made out of an old oak ice box refrigerator many years ago … it holds more cigars than I can afford to stock it with and might be another aspect of the hobby you would enjoy.

• #12266 Reply
                Erasmo Brenes
                Participant
                  @erasmo-b

Thanks Chris, great info. I’ll keep an eye for the humidors and for the time being, I’ll follow your tupperware humidor for the time being.

Looking forward to trying out the ordered cigars and joining you guys in a future ride.

• #12269 Reply
                  Erasmo Brenes
                  Participant
                    @erasmo-b

Just got my first batch of Oliva V Melanio Robusto and tried them with Dave’s recommended Woodford’s Reserve!!
                    Wow.

• #12394 Reply
                    Chris Roady
                    Participant
                      @chris

Glad you like the Oliva Malanio .. definitely a good cigar. I just forwarded you an email from Famous-Smoke.com. They are doing one of the deals we talked about where if you order $100 worth of cigars they will give you a free humidor.

• #12407 Reply
                      Erasmo Brenes
                      Participant
                        @erasmo-b

Thanks for the info, and as I told you on the email, I got a 50 cigar humidor from Neptune Cigars that is doing the job for now πŸ™‚ Nothing like yours!!

So far, the ranking on the ones I’ve tried:
                        1. Oliva Serie V Melanio Robusto
                        2. Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurado
                        3. Arturo Fuentes Rosado Sungrown 44

Soon to try:
                        EP Carillo La Historia III
                        EP Encore Majestic
                        Arturo Fuentes Casa Cuba Doble cuatro

Next, I’ll order:
                        1. Padron ?
                        2. LFD (La Flor Dominicana) Chisel
                        3. ???

• #12424 Reply
                        Chris Roady
                        Participant
                          @chris

The Padron 1964 Maduro Anniversario series are my all time favorite cigars, bar none.
                          Pricey at around $12 and up a stick, but worth it. Give yourself at least and hour to sit back, relax and enjoy this cigar. It is not one for working in the shop, doing this or that … for me this one is a sit back, relax and enjoy the time with a quality cigar.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_OzEgRozFI

My Fathers Cigars are a mid priced cigar starting around $10 a stick, that are always very good as well
                          https://www.cigaraficionado.com/company/my-father-cigars-inc

A couple of nice everyday type smokes are the San Lotano Maduro’s starting around $7.50. I also kind of like the Nub brand made by Oliva. Nothing to write home about, but a consistent, decent cigar at a reasonable price of around $6 a stick. They are unique in that they are a very large ring size, but short cigar .. maybe a 45 minute smoke or so.

I will be interested in your continuing list of favorites! One of the most famous cigar smokers was Mark Twain who always had a burning cigar in his hands. On the subject of recommendations, he is quoted as saying “No one can tell me what is a good cigar for me. I am the only judge. People who claim to know say that I smoke the worst cigars in the world. They bring their own cigars when they come to my house.” Mark Twain

• #12425 Reply
                          Erasmo Brenes
                          Participant
                            @erasmo-b

Well, I must try the Padron 1964 Maduro Aniversario based on your recommendation and report back.
                            I’ve tried the Oliva Nub in the past, recommended by David Omlor, which is a nice cigar, as you say for a 45min or so smoke. It’s my go-to when tending my vegetable garden πŸ™‚

Question: Are the non-cuban Montecristo any good? Which Romeo y Julieta (non-cuban) you recommend to try?

• #12428 Reply
                            Chris Roady
                            Participant
                              @chris

I honestly don’t think I have ever had a bad Montecristo or Romeo y Julieta .. but they are never really a go-to cigar for me .. Romeo’s because they are simply more mild than I prefer and Montecristo .. I don’t really know why. I have purchased Cuban Montecristo’s on most of our over sea trips, but never gravitate towards them here .. let me know if you find some you really like and I will try them too.

• #12430 Reply
                              Erasmo Brenes
                              Participant
                                @erasmo-b

Placed an order for Padron 1964 Aniversario Imperial Maduro and the Exclusivo Maduro. Will let you know
                                when I get them.

• #12485 Reply
                                Erasmo Brenes
                                Participant
                                  @erasmo-b

Tried the EP Carillo Encore Majestic, and I think that I’m going to have trouble deciding on the ranking πŸ™‚
                                  Wow.

On the “unofficial” ride to Borrego Springs/Julian, I forgot to ask Dave or Brandon a question. How do you package your unfinished cigar for reuse on the next stop?

• #12487 Reply
                                  Chris Roady
                                  Participant
                                    @chris

Personally not a fan of relighting them … they never taste as good to me. Dave has a metal tube he uses that works well if the taste of a relight doesn’t bother you. Amazon is your friend!

• #12488 Reply
                                    Erasmo Brenes
                                    Participant
                                      @erasmo-b

I thought the same but would like to try and determine if it is something I would like to do. The Amazon list I got was large and thus my question on what you guys use/prefer to narrow down the choice. The one you show seems to have issues with breakage on the top lid hinge. I was leaning to a simple metal sliding tube (no hinges) but the ones available don’t support more than a 52 cigar, but should be good enough to try.

• #12489 Reply
                                      David Eastly
                                      Participant
                                        @dave

Hey Erasmo, I’m a fan of the hinged lid keeper that Chris showed you. They are pretty sturdy, but I did break a hinge once – when I dropped it onto concrete. Under normal use it will be fine.
                                        The bourbon I mentioned earlier is “Eagle Rare”.

• #12490 Reply
                                        Erasmo Brenes
                                        Participant
                                          @erasmo-b

Dave, thanks for the info. I’ll get one of the Cigar Save It and try it out.
                                          Will also check out the Eagle Rare, although the Woodford’s Reserve is doing the job very well πŸ™‚

• #12491 Reply
                                          Richard Catarineau
                                          Keymaster
                                            @rick-webmaster

Really? You 3 have been cooped up too long. You realize these are just phallic symbols you are putting in you mouth, right?

Please… get a room already!

(… waiting for my JR Cigar Sampler)

• #12492 Reply
                                            Erasmo Brenes
                                            Participant
                                              @erasmo-b

I see that others are benefiting from the tutorial given by the experts! πŸ™‚

• #12505 Reply
                                              Chris Roady
                                              Participant
                                                @chris

atta boy Rick, toss the Freud crap and enjoy yourself one of lifes simple pleasures!

“Cigarettes are for chain-smoking, cigars must be smoked one at a time, peaceably, with all the leisure in the world. Cigarettes are of the instant, cigars are for eternity.” G. Cabera Infante

“By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men’s souls.” John Galsworthy

“Ah, if only I had brought a cigar with me! This would have established my identity.” Charles Dickens

β€œA good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores.” M*A*S*H, Klinger, Bug-Out 1976

• #12509 Reply
                                                Erasmo Brenes
                                                Participant
                                                  @erasmo-b

Chris, great quotes!

Reporting the new ranking:
                                                  So far, the ranking on the ones I’ve tried:
                                                  3. EP Carrillo Encore Majestic
                                                  4. Arturo Fuentes Rosado Sungrown 44 Tied with Arturo Fuentes Casa Cuba Doble Seis

next to try:
                                                  Padron 1964 Aniversario Imperial Maduro,
                                                  La Galera Anemoi Eurus
                                                  La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero
                                                  Rocky Patel Special Reserve Sun Grown

• #12510 Reply
                                                  Erasmo Brenes
                                                  Participant
                                                    @erasmo-b

I’m running out of space on my humidor!

• #12528 Reply
                                                    Chris Roady
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chris

Good problem to have Erasmo. I’m anxious to hear your opinion on the Padron 1964.

• #12540 Reply
                                                      Erasmo Brenes
                                                      Participant
                                                        @erasmo-b

Just had a Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. It is good, with a strong peppery flavor. It didn’t match with the cheese that I was eating :-). But mixed well with the Caby I had (J Lhor Cabernet).

To be honest, I liked it but it would be on a tie with the EP Carrillo Encore Majestic, as I’m still favoring the Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurado better πŸ™‚

I’ll next try the other Padron 1964 I got, the Maduro Imperial, and report back.

• #12541 Reply
                                                        Erasmo Brenes
                                                        Participant
                                                          @erasmo-b

Here is my “test” today πŸ™‚

Attachments:
                                                        • #12544 Reply
                                                          David Omlor
                                                          Participant
                                                            @david

Happiness?
                                                            A good cigar, a good meal,
                                                            a good cigar and a good woman
                                                            – or a bad woman;
                                                            it depends on how much happiness you can handle.
                                                            – George Burns

• #12586 Reply
                                                            Erasmo Brenes
                                                            Participant
                                                              @erasmo-b

Just tried the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero. Very nice!

• #12593 Reply
                                                              Erasmo Brenes
                                                              Participant
                                                                @erasmo-b

Update to the ranking. Two categories, medium duration vs long

Medium:
                                                                3. Arturo Fuentes Rosado Sungrown 44 / EP Carrillo Encore Majestic
                                                                4. LFD Double Ligero

Long(>1hr)
                                                                1. EP Carillo Historia III
                                                                2. Padron 1964

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                            Reply To: NBR: Cigars?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                            Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: