Mt. Laguna Weekend 9/18-9/20, 2020

Mt. Laguna Weekend 9/18-9/20, 2020

Forums Rides Mt. Laguna Weekend 9/18-9/20, 2020

• Creator
    Topic
  • #12784 Reply
    Ron Zablocki
      @ron-z

Figured I’d start a ride thread for this as it’s only a couple months away now. Here’s the info from the calendar:

Warren Belkin has set up camping at Burnt Rancheria campground with 3 camp sites (8 people max per site, see Burnt Rancheria Campground). We have sites 18, 19 and 15 which have long driveways that can park multiple bikes. For those preferring not to camp, you can book rooms at the Laguna Mountain Lodge (Laguna Mountain Lodge or call 619-473-8533). However, these fill up quickly so reserve as early as possible. Rates range from $95-$110, or higher for larger units that can be shared. There is a $50 cancellation fee at the hotel. Look for a border ride on Saturday!

Information on campground services: Burnt Rancheria is a large campground with several loops of campsites. Each site has a table and campfire ring. The campground is equipped with restrooms and coin-operated showers. Firewood is available for purchase from the campground host. We’ll likely do a group dinner at the Pine House Cafe.

Warren – feel free to add any additional info for this!

UPDATE 8/30/20 from Warren:

Excited that the ride is getting closer! Routes are attached via GPX files.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE CAMPING: the campsite has firewood available, $6 per bundle or 4 bundles for $20. They accept cash, check or credit card. ALL RIDERS STAYING AT THE CAMPSITE will have a small daily fee including a vehicle fee (will update shortly). We will see as Sep develops, but it’s not unusual for temps to hit 50s or 40s at night. Bring layers / sleeping bag appropriate to the conditions. If you are camping, please post below so we have a headcount?

ROUTE INFO:
        Friday 9/18/20:

• Meet at 9AM at Starbucks, 30835 Gateway Pl, Mission Viejo, CA (the Plaza at corner of Antonio Parkway and Ortega 74). We will depart at 9:15 AM. Ride to the campsite will be fun with lots of twisties… everyone ride their own pace
        • Ride over Ortega
        • Get on I-15S to the 79
        • Take Pechanga Parkway (changes to 2 other roads) to Pala
        • Head on the 76 to S. Grade Rd at Palomar Mountain
        • Ride up Palomar. Then head down E. Grade Rd.
        • Stop to stretch legs at the overlook for 15 min
        • Get back on 76, then take Mesa Grande loop to connect to 79
        • Head to Julian for lunch and gasoline
        • Then head down Sunrise Highway (51) to campsite. Will plan to stop at a vista on the way. Should arrive around 3PM to set up camp.

Sat day ride 9/19/20:

• Those who want coffee or breakfast at Pine House Cafe, they open at 8AM. Meet at campsite at 8:45 and depart at 9AM.
        • Head south on Sunrise Hwy, connect up to Old Highway 80
        • Connect through to La Posta Rd to the 94
        • Connect back with Old Highway 80 and follow to Desert View Tower. As of now the tower is closed, but we’ll stop for some views (20 min stop)
        • Backtrack old Highway 80 to the 94
        • Continue on 94 to Campo. Visit the Pacific SW Railway Museum (or alternate is Motor Transport Museum)
        • Lunch at the Campo Cafe – they have outdoor seating
        • Head back via 94, Honey Springs Rd, Lyons Valley Rd, The 79, up around Lake Cuyamaca, then back down Sunrise highway to the campsite. Plan a quick stop at Lake Cuyamaca to stretch. There should be some nice roads / twisties on this route. Arrive back to campground around 4PM

Sun 9/20/20

• return home. I planned a fast route but people are welcome to do longer (through Palomar again, or even Anza Borrego). I have to get back mid day however.
        • Depart 9AM (can hit breakfast / coffee at 8AM)
        • North on Sunrise
        • Connect with 79 – ride through the 78 to connect to I5. Head North back to Ortega and beyond. Should arrive to Ortega around noon.

For coffee / breakfast / dinner we will plan the Pine House Cafe (they are open). Hours as of now are 8AM – 11AM for breakfast. 11:30 – 7PM for Dinner (they may extend to 8PM but not sure when they’ll switch). See Pine House Cafe. This is 300 ft from the campsite so an easy walk.

Looking forward to a great weekend with some fantastic sights and great riding.

Viewing 37 reply threads
      • Author
        Replies
        • #12785 Reply
          Ron Zablocki
            @ron-z

So has anyone stayed at the Laguna Mountain Lodge before? I ask because I just tried to reserve a room and they don’t accept credit cards for reservations, just a mailed check or cashier’s check.
            Anyway, Lorna and I are in for this ride! 🙂

• #12790 Reply
            Karl Wagner
            Participant
              @sharons-hubby

Yes, this is where we had out 2016 “un-Rally” John C lead. That was the reservation procedure then and it looks like they have not upgraded.

• #12935 Reply
              Thomas Long
              Participant
                @maledirect

I am

• #12936 Reply
                Thomas Long
                Participant
                  @maledirect

This will be my first trip as a new member .Looking forward to the trip

• #12976 Reply
                  Erasmo Brenes
                  Participant
                    @erasmo-b

Diane and I are looking forward to camping on this trip!

• #13034 Reply
                    Willis Ho
                    Participant
                      @willis_ho

I am new to the group, like to join the Mt. Laguna trip!

[email protected]

• #13035 Reply
                      Ron Zablocki
                        @ron-z

Hi Willis – Sign up on the Ride List here on the site, and let us know if you have any questions!

• #13036 Reply
                        Willis Ho
                        Participant
                          @willis_ho

Looking forwald to trip, please provide more infor for the trip detail.

• #13037 Reply
                          Ron Zablocki
                            @ron-z

The ride leader, Warren Belkin will be releasing more info as the date approaches.
                            Also – make sure you’ve signed up as a club member!

• #13038 Reply
                            Willis Ho
                            Participant
                              @willis_ho

Hi Ron,

I have sign up the membership, need some help to update the ride list. I do not have the previlege for editing the list.

• #13040 Reply
                              Ron Zablocki
                                @ron-z

Hi Willis – Assuming you’ve already created an account for the website, all you should need to do is go here:
                                https://scbmwrc.com/participant-list/participants-signup/
                                and enter your info. Then select the ride(s) you’re interested in and check the appropriate box.

• #13041 Reply
                                Willis Ho
                                Participant
                                  @willis_ho

Hi Ron,

I have not received any personal link for updating the ride list, not sure if the system is down.

Please call me if you have a moment.

Thanks,
                                  Willis Ho

• #13042 Reply
                                    Ron Zablocki
                                      @ron-z

I’ll try and call you after I’m off work around 5:30 PM if that works for you?

• #13043 Reply
                                    Willis Ho
                                    Participant
                                      @willis_ho

Great, let talk at 5:30pm

• #13059 Reply
                                      Warren Belkin
                                      Keymaster
                                        @wbelkin

Hi Everyone…. Just updated the route and more info – see top post in the thread (edited it). Would love to get a headcount of who plans to camp – can you post here if you are camping? Thanks!

• #13063 Reply
                                        John Crittenden
                                        Participant
                                          @john-c

Me camping, Warren.

• #13064 Reply
                                          Willis Ho
                                          Participant
                                            @willis_ho

Hi Warren, Motel for me.

• #13065 Reply
                                            Julito Antolin
                                            Participant
                                              @julit0

Warren, I’m in for camping on this ride. Let us know if we need to Venmo or pay forward to anyone who put a deposit on. Thanks!

• #13067 Reply
                                              Erasmo Brenes
                                              Participant
                                                @erasmo-b

Hi Warren,

Diane and I are camping.

Erasmo

• #13070 Reply
                                                Gilbert Galvez
                                                Participant
                                                  @gilbertgalvez

Hi Warren, count me in for camping.

• #13071 Reply
                                                  Ed Taylor
                                                    @etaylorrisksolutions-inc-com

Warren, Count me in for camping. Ed Taylor

• #13073 Reply
                                                    Steven Bennett
                                                    Participant
                                                      @steven-b

Steve and Celia Bennett will attend. Hotel…

• #13074 Reply
                                                      Eric Wolf
                                                      Keymaster
                                                        @wolf

Hey Warren,
                                                        I’m camping.
                                                        Eric

• #13096 Reply
                                                        Julito Antolin
                                                        Participant
                                                          @julit0

Hoping that the San Diego Valley Fire has no impact in 2 weeks – but definitely something to monitor. Today’s evacuation map is starting to show the southern intersection of Sunrise Hwy and I-8, where Pine Valley is in an Evacuation Warning area. It’s still 12 days away. Don’t know how ash and smoke may influence the camp grounds as well. Hopefully their site will keep up to date as well.

• #13127 Reply
                                                          Willis Ho
                                                          Participant
                                                            @willis_ho

Hey Warren,

Just bought a new tent today, I like to change my trip stay from hotel to camping. My last camping experience was 45 years ago while still in college.

Burnt Rancheria Campground is temporarily closed until further notice due to extreme fire danger. Please keep us posted about the trip status.

Thx, Willis

• #13141 Reply
                                                            Julito Antolin
                                                            Participant
                                                              @julit0

Willis – Please take my Camping spot for this weekend. I had some events that had to shift this past weekend, into the same timeframe – so I won’t be able to stay overnight :-(. I am still wanting to ride south with the group to Julian – but I need to head back to LA after that. Hope this helps. Sorry if it adds complexity to the management of the event.

• #13142 Reply
                                                              Warren Belkin
                                                              Keymaster
                                                                @wbelkin

Hi Everyone – we are waiting to see if the campground will re-open.
                                                                As of now, the campground is temporarily closed due to fire danger and impact from the Valley Fire. However, the Vallely Fire is now pretty much contained. We probably won’t know anything until Wed or Thursday morning. Will post by Thursday AM with a final call. Thanks.

• #13143 Reply
                                                                Warren Belkin
                                                                Keymaster
                                                                  @wbelkin

Hi folks – unfortunately NOT good news. I just received email from recreation.gov The campsite will continue to be closed through at least 9/21. They cancelled our reservations and are refunding the camping money. So it looks like the ride is cancelled 🙁 I will call the hotel tomorrow to see if they’ll make any exceptions on their cancellation policy. I’m extremely disappointed. Email from recreation.gov below (HTML doesn’t paste well):

Recreation.gov Logo

Warning Icon
                                                                  Reservation Cancellation – Location Closure

Hi warren,

We’re sending you this message because of your Recreation.gov reservation, 0228663331-1, at BURNT RANCHERIA for Fri, Sep 18, 2020 – Sun, Sep 20, 2020.

A location closure has been issued for BURNT RANCHERIA from Tue, Sep 15, 2020 – Mon, Sep 21, 2020 due to Public Safety Concerns .

Since this location closure overlaps with the dates for your trip, we have cancelled your reservation and you will receive a full refund. Credit / debit card payments will be refunded to the card associated with your account. If you paid by cash or check, you will receive a refund check in the mail (please allow up to 8 weeks).

The experience and wellbeing of visitors is our top priority, and we apologize for any inconvenience with this location closure. Thank you again for your understanding, and please contact BURNT RANCHERIA if you have any questions.

Help & Support

Have a question – we’re here to help! For information about your account, reservations, trip planner, and more, the best place to start is our Help Center. If you need additional support, you can submit an email, chat with a representative, or find other contact options on our Contact Us page.

Recreation.gov
                                                                  You have received this email because you’re a valued Recreation.gov visitor.
                                                                  If you no longer wish to receive these emails you can unsubscribe at any time.

© 2020 Recreation.gov. All Rights Reserved.

• #13144 Reply
                                                                  Karl Wagner
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    @sharons-hubby

Sorry to hear Warren, but this weird year continues. Thanks for all your efforts planning this event!

• #13145 Reply
                                                                    Warren Belkin
                                                                    Keymaster
                                                                      @wbelkin

I’ve left a message with the Laguna Mountain Lodge to discuss if they’ll make an exception on cancellation. Will advise once I hear back.

SECOND NOTE: WANT TO STILL RIDE ON SATURDAY? I’m planning on still riding – we can do the trip down through Palomar and Julian for lunch, and still do a loop through Mt Laguna and South. I don’t think we’ll be able to stop at the museum however. May start the ride a hair earlier (8:30 or 8:00) – will update shortly. Hope some of you will still want to stretch the riding legs 🙂

• #13146 Reply
                                                                      Warren Belkin
                                                                      Keymaster
                                                                        @wbelkin

UPDATE on Laguna Mountain Lodge:

I spoke with John – extremely nice. Please call to cancel asap if you haven’t already. As I understand the current status:

Dan Burtt – they could not find a reservation (please call the lodge if you do)
                                                                        Ed Taylor – had already cancelled the hotel and was going to camp
                                                                        Ron Z. – Lodge should call you – looks like they’re willing to cancel (or give them a ring)
                                                                        Steven Bennett – had already cancelled the room
                                                                        Thomas Long – has a reservation but no deposit yet – may be good idea to call them and confirm you are cancelling
                                                                        Tom White – he said he spoke with you and you’re still planning on staying

If I missed anyone – please call the lodge at 619-473-8533 and speak with John. Thanks.

• #13147 Reply
                                                                        Willis Ho
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          @willis_ho

Hi Warren,

Sorry to learn about the camp site closure. As you suggest, I still like to ride with the group either on Friday or Saturday. Another option if we can keep the same schedule or less by check in the motel vs. camp site…

Thank you for your coordination on the trip.

Willis

• #13149 Reply
                                                                          Warren Belkin
                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                            @wbelkin

Hi Willis, look forward to seeing you. Unfortunately I didn’t think we’d have a lot of folks switching from camping so I didn’t pursue the hotel option . We have a good ride planned on Saturday. I’ll upload the GPX files in a moment.
                                                                            I do hope we’ll re-do the camping event as soon as practicable (probably next year because it will get cold soon at that elevation).

• #13150 Reply
                                                                            Warren Belkin
                                                                            Keymaster
                                                                              @wbelkin

Hi everyone – for those who can make the day ride we’ve now planned… it will happen this Saturday 9/19. Kickstands up at 8:30 AM. Starting point is the Starbucks in the plaza at the corner of Antonio Parkway and Hwy 74 (Ortega). Address is 30835 Gateway Pl, Mission Viejo, CA 92694.

I’ve prepared two routes. The full route is around 321 miles and we’d arrive back at I-5 & Ortega (Hwy 74) at around 6:30 PM. The second has an abbreviated final leg that is 305 miles, but gets us back at 5:15. We will decide later in the day which we prefer based on timing. Of course people can decide to return earlier (for instance, from Julian after lunch). The route is the first day as described at the start of the thread, followed by a loop through Mt Laguna and south.

Bring layers – will be chilly early and at higher elevations… but gets toasty mid day at places.

Here are the GPX files. Look forward to seeing whoever can make it.

• #13154 Reply
                                                                              Chris Roady
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                @chris

Warren, my compliments for going the extra mile checking on everyones reservations for them. I share your pain as I had to cancel Joshua Tree at the very beginning of the Covid pandemic. Many of us appreciate from experience all the effort put into pulling a weekend ride together for the Club so I just wanted to thank you for your efforts despite having to cancel. Nice job.

• #13158 Reply
                                                                                Willis Ho
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @willis_ho

Hi Warren,

Thank for setup the one day ride, see you on Saturday.

Willis

• #13160 Reply
                                                                                    Gilbert Galvez
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      @gilbertgalvez

Hi Warren, great job on planning and cancelling of reservations. You went an extra mile just to make sure everyone is taken care of. Hope to see you on Saturday ride.

• #13170 Reply
                                                                                    Warren Belkin
                                                                                    Keymaster
                                                                                      @wbelkin

Just a quick update – for those folks who live on the other side of Ortega (not the OC side) – we will plan to stop in and meet up at The Lake Elsinore Market, 15887 Grand Ave, Lake Elsinore, CA. It is the corner of Grand Ave and Ortega. We should arrive there right around 9:05 AM. Please let me know who plans to meet us there so we have a count and can wait if someone is running a few min late? Thanks.

• #13175 Reply
                                                                                      Erasmo Brenes
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @erasmo-b

Warren,

Thanks for putting together the ride today. I had a great time riding to Palomar Mt and the Mesa Drive was nice as well.
                                                                                        Hopefully, we’ll be able to do the camping sometime in the near future.

Erasmo

• #13176 Reply
                                                                                        John Crittenden
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          @john-c

Thanks, Warren, for leading this ride, and also to Bill R. for leading Group 2.
                                                                                          Long day, but fun! And the Apple Pie I brought home was Excellent!

Viewing 37 reply threads
                                                                                      Reply To: Mt. Laguna Weekend 9/18-9/20, 2020

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                      Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: