Morro Bay Ride Nov 12-14, 2021

Forums Calendar Events Morro Bay Ride Nov 12-14, 2021

• Creator
    Topic
  • #14698 Reply
    Warren Belkin
    Keymaster
      @wbelkin

Looking forward to a fun ride on the Central Coast in November. Dates are Nov 12-14 (arrive Friday, return home Sunday).

We’re planning to base out of Morro Bay and still locking down routes (stay tuned) – but we’ll try to do some fun stuff including Nacimiento-Fergusson Road down into Big Sur.

IMPORTANT: Hotel space is LIMITED – and camping may be fully booked up.

HOTELS – CALL NOW AND RESERVE. We are going to stay at the Morro Crest Inn, http://www.morrocrestinn.us/
      The club has stayed here before and liked it. It’s a boutique hotel with only 8 single BR rooms. The rooms are NOT listed online until Oct 1, so please CALL NOW to get them reserved. They are offering a discount – mentioned BMW BIKES when you call. The managers name is Karen. 805-772-7740
      Rate is $125 for Friday night and $140 for Saturday. Cancellation policy is 72 hours advanced notice.

CAMPING: up to individuals to make their own camping reservations. I’ve been trying to find availability. So far the campsites I’ve tried are fully booked. Still looking (please post if you find something).

CURRENTLY BOOKED AND NOT AVAILABLE: Morro Bay State Park and also Rancho Colina
      TRYING TO REACH: Morro Dunes (TBD)

Anyway – will add more details, but please book your hotel asap. Thanks.

Viewing 38 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #14699 Reply
        Ron Zablocki
          @ron-z

Thanks Warren – Room reserved!

• #14700 Reply
          howard Bland
          Participant
            @howard-bland

Warren, booked room at Morro Bay Sandpiper- 250 for 2 nights. Howard Bland

• #14701 Reply
            Warren Belkin
            Keymaster
              @wbelkin

Excellent. Yes, there are plenty of hotels near by if this one fills up or people prefer other choices.

• #14711 Reply
              Bill Allen
              Blocked
                @lucky

Looks like a nice event. I’ll try to make it.

Good job, Warren.

• #14727 Reply
                Steve Leo
                Participant
                  @steve

Room booked.

• #14747 Reply
                  Larry Troffer
                  Participant
                    @larry-troffer

I’ve reserved a room. Thanks Warren.

• #14752 Reply
                    Chris Roady
                    Participant
                      @chris

Roady & Wilson booked at the Sandpiper Inn. Morro Crest is a non smoking facility and we gotta have our stogies after a good ride!

• #14770 Reply
                      Harry Hoffman
                      Participant
                        @harry3gsa

I reserved 2 tent sites for Morro Dunes RV Park. Each site will fit 3 tents (6 people), and 3 motorcycles. Each site comes with a picnic table and a fire ring. (Due to being basically on the beach, camp fires within the fire ring are always allowed).

Michelle and I have stayed at Morro Dunes RV Park several times and love it! Each tent site is flat and groomed. It offers hot showers, clean bathrooms, and laundry. Water and electric at each site. The view of Morro Rock is spectacular as the RV park is on the beach, directly to the north of Morro Rock. If you are into camping, it doesn’t get much nicer than this.

As far as location, this is a plus too. The Morro Bay harbor/town is litterly less than 1 mile walk along the bay sidewalk. It takes us about 10 minutes to walk to breakfast or dinner each day.

Cost per site is $35/night. We would split the cost depending on number of campers.
                        Please notify me SOON if you want to reserve your spot. If the response is good and we need more tent sites, then I’ll reserve another. They book fast so don’t delay! I wouldn’t want someone to miss out on this opportunity. 🙂
                        Cancellation policy: 48 hours before arrival, so we have time to adjust if needed.

Attachments:
                        • #14906 Reply
                          Willis Ho
                          Participant
                            @willis_ho

Harry,

Like to join the campers, just wondering any spot still available!

Willis Ho

• #14772 Reply
                          Pete Rissman
                            @thatpete

Harry, I would like to join the campers at Morro Dunes RV Park. I’ll be riding solo but my tent is a 4-person (8×8’). This, because the Pinnacles ride taught me that I need a tent I don’t have to crawl around in.

Pete (who has a virtually new 2-person tent for sale).

• #14773 Reply
                              Harry Hoffman
                              Participant
                                @harry3gsa

Cool Pete, I’ll add you on the camping list. Your 8×8 tent should not be a problem. We’ll just give you the corner. If things look tight, then we can adjust and use the 2nd tent site.

Also Dave E. has joined in as well, …and now we are 3.

• #14774 Reply
                              Nicholas Okoneski
                              Participant
                                @niko

I’m booked at the Sandpiper Inn as well. I have a commitment on the morning of 11/12, so I’ll be riding up solo afterwards. See you there!

• #14808 Reply
                                John Crittenden
                                Participant
                                  @john-c

Warren, I will try to make the Morro Bay ride, but not a certainty at this time.
                                  Harry, I can’t ask to reserve a camping spot but if I go, it will be tent trip. So, hopefully there will be room!

• #14833 Reply
                                    Harry Hoffman
                                    Participant
                                      @harry3gsa

Sounds good John. Currently, there is enough camping space on the reservation I have. Hope you can make it. 🙂

• #14834 Reply
                                      Harry Hoffman
                                      Participant
                                        @harry3gsa

Sounds good John. Currently, there is enough camping space on the reservation I have. Hope you can make it. 🙂

• #14899 Reply
                                      Bill Allen
                                      Blocked
                                        @lucky

Just booked a room at the hotel!
                                        Whoohoo!

• #14900 Reply
                                        Cruz Guerrero
                                        Participant
                                          @cgi1969

Hotel has been booked!

• #14905 Reply
                                          Warren Belkin
                                          Keymaster
                                            @wbelkin

hi Everyone, sorry I’ve been dark for a bit. Had the dreaded Covid. Thankfully symptoms relatively mild – I was vaccinated. Anyway— have had the route pretty much set up for a while, just need to clean up waypoints and timing and will get it published shortly. Stay tuned. Thanks! Looking forward to the ride.

• #14912 Reply
                                            Eric Wolf
                                            Keymaster
                                              @wolf

Does anyone need/want a roommate? Split the bill?

• #14913 Reply
                                              Bill Allen
                                              Blocked
                                                @lucky

I do!

• #14915 Reply
                                                Eric Wolf
                                                Keymaster
                                                  @wolf

Hey Bill,
                                                  I’ll call you.

• #14916 Reply
                                                  Steve Leo
                                                  Participant
                                                    @steve

Hi Warren,
                                                    Any update on the routes for Friday and Saturday?

• #14917 Reply
                                                      Ron Zablocki
                                                        @ron-z

Hi Steve – Warren sent me his routes and I’ll be taking a look at them this weekend.

• #14918 Reply
                                                      Warren Belkin
                                                      Keymaster
                                                        @wbelkin

Hi everyone, have had the routes planned out for a while but needed to clean them up before publishing. I just got over a bout of Covid so was out of action for a bit (I’m fine). However, I would like to get some input from the group on 2 questions before finalizing. I’m sure there will be varied opinions but would like to see if there is a clear preference from a majority of the group. I have tried to put together a route that is a little different from past years.

1. On the way up, plan to ride Rt1 through Malibu. I threw in a short detour of some really nice twisty roads along the way for those that like them, BUT I MADE SURE THERE IS A BEACH STOP RIGHT AFTER THIS SEGMENT, so that people who don’t like twisties can ride through on Rt1 (bypass this twisties dogleg) and meet the group at the beach stop. This “twisty” dogleg was planned to go up from Rt1 on Latigo Canyon Rd and back down to Rt1 on Decker Canyon Rd. However, Latigo Canyon is a pretty technical road, so an alternative would be to go up on Kanan-Dume (shorter) or Malibu Canyon Rd (longer) instead, and still come down on Decker Canyon Rd. Could you reply with thoughts on this? For such a large group, perhaps Latigo Canyon isn’t the right call?

2. Pete Rissman had suggested that we try to hit the Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum during this trip. I thought that was interesting and only takes 60-75 minutes to see. However, if we include that stop on the way up (Friday), we won’t arrive until 5:15PM. I’m concerned that is late for those who are camping. If we removed that stop, we arrive at 3:45 PM. The distance is almost the same. We could also include it for those who want to see it, and those who want to arrive earlier can bypass it. Please let me know if you are interested in the museum stop?

Appreciate your thoughts. Will post the GPX files today or tomorrow based on feedback. Thanks – looking forward to seeing everyone in two weeks time.

• #14919 Reply
                                                        Cruz Guerrero
                                                        Participant
                                                          @cgi1969

I love latigo canyon, that said it is technical and can be dirty if you have had any rain recently. I would love to stop at the museum in Solvang.

• #14920 Reply
                                                          Bill Allen
                                                          Blocked
                                                            @lucky

I am bailing out on this event. I hope everyone has a lot of fun.

• #14931 Reply
                                                            Warren Belkin
                                                            Keymaster
                                                              @wbelkin

Sorry folks, I had uploaded the routes, but we found a minor error. Just correcting that and will upload revised routes shortly . Thx.

• #14932 Reply
                                                              Pete Rissman
                                                                @thatpete

According to their website, the Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum is only open from 10:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday and Sunday and is closed Monday-Friday. So it looks like a stop there on Friday is out of the question.

Home

• #14933 Reply
                                                                Pete Rissman
                                                                  @thatpete

The last two times I went up Latigo Canyon Rd there were far too many bicyclists on it for it to be enjoyable (and I wasn’t trying to aggressively ride it). There were several pelotons on the inclines that weren’t letting traffic past.

• #14934 Reply
                                                                  Warren Belkin
                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                    @wbelkin

Thanks Pete – darn. I had checked previously but had missed the covid hours (not sure how I missed that). So I’ll remove that stop off the ride. Thx.

• #14937 Reply
                                                                    Warren Belkin
                                                                    Keymaster
                                                                      @wbelkin

OK – here are the routes. Big thanks to Ron Z. for helping vet the routes through multiple apps.. and Eric W., Brandon W. Karl W. and Bill R. for their help and advice in planning. These routes were created in Basecamp, please let me know if you have any problems loading them.
                                                                      ~
                                                                      FRIDAY 11/12
                                                                      * For those living South & East, meet at Schooner or Later in Long Beach for coffee / snack before departing. Address is 241 N Marina Dr, Long Beach, CA 90803. We will leave (kick stands up) at 8:00 AM.
                                                                      * For those living North who don’t want to come to Long Beach, you can meet us at the gas station at the corner of PCH and Topanga Canyon Rd in Malibu. On the map it’s a 7-eleven, 18541 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA 90265. We are due to arrive at 8:50 AM and will plan to stay 15 min to rendezvous.
                                                                      * We’ll follow PCH through Malibu – but take a dog leg up for some nice twisty roads. We will stop BEFORE that dog leg at a 76 gas station – and riders who don’t like twisty roads can continue on PCH and meet the group at Leo Carillo Beach. For those who like the dog leg, we’ll head up on Kanan Dume Rd, and connect through back to PCH via Decker Rd. We’ll then stop for quick scenery at Leo Carillo Beach.
                                                                      * We’ll continue on PCH until just before Port Hueneme, and then jump up on the 101 until our first formal Fuel stop just past Santa Barbara.
                                                                      * We’ll stop for lunch at Cold Springs Tavern – a short distance up the road
                                                                      * We had planned an optional stop at the Solvang Motorcycle Museum, but it’s closed on Friday. So straight on to Morro Bay. We’ll arrive around 3:40 PM Total distance 261 miles.
                                                                      ~
                                                                      SAT 11/13
                                                                      I wanted to combine some nice inland roads with some scenic Ocean views – so part inland, part coastal.
                                                                      * Depart 9 AM (in case campers want to have breakfast in town)
                                                                      * Head south and take a loop through See Canyon (nice motorcycle roads)
                                                                      * Get on the 101 North for a short ride – to do a loop through W Ponzo Rd and Park Hill Rd. These are shown as good roads on Butler maps and should be fun.
                                                                      * Local roads to lunch stop in Paso Robles. Planning lunch at Cider Creek Bakery (thanks Eric Wolf who stopped here on Pinnacles Ride).
                                                                      * Take Rt 46 to PCH
                                                                      * Head North on PCH for some great Ocean views and stop for coffee / drink at Ragged Point Inn
                                                                      * Head back South on PCH but take a dog leg through Santa Rosa Creek Rd and Old Creek Rd to get back to Morro Bay. These are great motorcycle roads.
                                                                      * Total distance 210 miles
                                                                      ~
                                                                      SUN 11/14
                                                                      * We’ll head back on some great roads – starting on Rt 58 connecting to Rt 33.
                                                                      * We’ll take the 33 all the way South to Ventura Harbor – some nice mountain roads. Stop for lunch in Ventura
                                                                      * Then get on the 101 for a fast trip home. People can split off depending on where they’re heading to in LA/OC.
                                                                      ~
                                                                      Here are the .GPX files. Please let me know if any problem loading these. Thanks.

• #14941 Reply
                                                                      Steve Leo
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @steve

Warren,

I was on Mulholland Hwy and some of the other roads in the Malibu Mountains yesterday and they were in pretty bad shape. Mulholland Hwy had some slides and lots of rocks on the road from the rain last week and they are still cleaning up the mess. I live in the area and will head up there next weekend and check the roads and let you know what condition they are in and which roads are clear.

• #14942 Reply
                                                                        Warren Belkin
                                                                        Keymaster
                                                                          @wbelkin

Thanks Steve. Yes was trying to look at any road closures, but I don’t live close to the area so would really appreciate you taking a look. We might have to forego that dogleg although I’d certainly like to do it if the roads are ok. Thanks!!

• #14943 Reply
                                                                          Ron Zablocki
                                                                          Moderator
                                                                            @ron-z

I’m at the Rock Store right now and went over a good part of Muhulland. There was some dirt in parts, but was definitely manageable.

• #14944 Reply
                                                                            Bill Allen
                                                                            Blocked
                                                                              @lucky

SouthCoasters afraid of a little sand in the corners?
                                                                              Say it ain’t so!

• #14945 Reply
                                                                              Ron Zablocki
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                @ron-z

Well, someone canceled for a reason – not naming names! 😂

• #14946 Reply
                                                                                Bill Allen
                                                                                Blocked
                                                                                  @lucky

Not because of the road conditions. That’s for sure.

• #14948 Reply
                                                                                  Warren Belkin
                                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                                    @wbelkin

Hey Bill – sorry to see you won’t be able to attend. Hope all is ok there.

• #14971 Reply
                                                                                    Warren Belkin
                                                                                    Keymaster
                                                                                      @wbelkin

Hi Riders – excited we are one week out from the ride.
                                                                                      I want to thank Steve Leo for a suggestion on lunch stop on the return ride – so I’ve updated the GPX files to do that (better stop location) and also to adjust the timing on the ride up. New GPX files are attached.

FOR THE RIDE UP – I think there are a number of people who are starting North of Long Beach and will meet us at the 7-Eleven gas station in Malibu. Friday traffic is hard to estimate, but I’m budgeting 90 minutes for us to get from Long Beach to the 7-Eleven. SO WE WILL PLAN TO MEET IN MALIBU AT 9:30 AM on Friday.

Can you please email me at [email protected] where you are departing from? That way I can keep track of people at the departure and also reach someone in each group for our rendezvous time.

I have also posted a detailed ride overview and suggestions in the attached PDF. Please download and read this prior to the trip. I will highlight the first page in a follow-on posting. THANKS – look forward to seeing everyone on Friday!

• #14976 Reply
                                                                                      Warren Belkin
                                                                                      Keymaster
                                                                                        @wbelkin

Here is the first page from the attached ride overview… wanted to make sure everyone sees it. Thanks.

CONTACT: Warren Belkin 949-290-6859 [email protected]

We’re planning a great ride that provides a mix of coastal views and inland riding with some interesting motorcycle-friendly roads. I’ve tried to make good use of Butler maps to select some fun roads that will perhaps offer a little bit different route than prior years. I’ve also tried to include some good twisty experiences for those that love them, with some bypass and regroup options for those that don’t. Thanks to many folks (Karl Wagner, Bill Reitz, Eric Wolf, Brandon Wilson, Ron Zablocki, Dave Eastly) for their insight and contributions to route planning.

IMPORTANT REMINDERS:
                                                                                        • We will be leaving at 8AM sharp from the starting point at Schooner or Later, 241 N Marina Dr, Long Beach. They open at 7AM so people can enjoy a snack or coffee before hand if desired.
                                                                                        • Some people don’t want to start so far South, so we are planning to rendezvous at a gas station in Malibu for those that start elsewhere. HOWEVER – it is hard to pinpoint traffic timing on a Friday morning. I’m budgeting 90 minutes to get there – group at that gas station at 9:30 AM. The station Is a 7-Eleven, 18541 PCH, Malibu, CA.
                                                                                        • Morro Bay and the Coastal routes can vary in temperature considerably. The weather in Morro Bay is current calling for highs in the low 70s, and lows in the low 50s. But other stops like Ojai and Paso Robles have highs in the mid 80s and lows in the high 30s. SO… BRING LAYERS and anticipate everything from warm to quite cold. I will be bringing an electric heating vest just in case.
                                                                                        • Currently there is no rain forecast in these areas, but I’d suggest bringing rain gear just in case. Here is a quick route description followed by more detail on the next pages.

We’ll plan a coastal ride up with plenty of Ocean views. We’ll take a dog-leg for some nice twisties and views in Malibu. However, for those that don’t like these kinds of roads, we’ll re-group right after at Leo Carillo Beach. We’ll also do bypass a section of the 101 to get some nicer riding through Foxen Canyon Road and the 166. Total distance 261 miles, 6H of actual riding time, arrive around 4:15PM.

On Saturday, we’ll spend the morning doing some nice inland roads including a loop through See Canyon Rd and then a loop through W Pozo Rd and Park Hill Rd. This should offer some fun motorcycling and we’ll then stop for lunch in Paso Robles. After lunch we’ll head to the coast on Rt 46, ride up PCH with some great Ocean views to stop at Ragged Point Inn for a coffee and rest break. Then we’ll head back down PCH and take a dog leg through Santa Rosa Creek Rd and Old Creek Rd to get back to Paso Robles. Total distance 210 miles, 5-1/2 hours actual riding time, arrive back around 4PM.

For the return ride on Sunday, we’ll take the 58 all the way to the 33, and then follow the 33 South to Ojai for a lunch stop. Then people can choose their route depending on where they’re heading. I’m planning the 33 South to connect with the 101 in Ventura, and then a fast ride home via the 101 and 405. The 33 has some nice sections through the Los Padres National Forest. Total time should be around 7H (5-1/2 hours of actual riding) and a distance of around 295 miles. Arrive back around 3:15PM.

• #14980 Reply
                                                                                          Cruz Guerrero
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @cgi1969

Gm Warren, We will be leaving Thursday morning. We will meet up with the group Friday night at the Inn.

• #14978 Reply
                                                                                          David Voorhees
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @voorman

I’m a last minute addition to the ride; this retirement thing is working out pretty well thus far!
                                                                                            Will meet up with the group in Long Beach.

Looking forward to it!
                                                                                            David Voorhees
                                                                                            949-697-6688

• #14979 Reply
                                                                                              Warren Belkin
                                                                                              Keymaster
                                                                                                @wbelkin

Thanks David, and welcome aboard. Look forward to seeing you on Friday!

• #14981 Reply
                                                                                              Warren Belkin
                                                                                              Keymaster
                                                                                                @wbelkin

Hi everyone, looking forward to a great ride this weekend.
                                                                                                Steve Leo lives up in the area and has ridden the Malibu Hills extensively. He had a suggestion which I like. I have an alternative route for the ride up – very minor change. When we do the dog leg up into the Malibu hills, we’ll come down the first part on Decker, then take the lower portion on Encinal Canyon Rd. which offers more sweepers and if the marine layer is clear, should have some great views from that lower portion. So we’ll get a combination of good twisties and sweepers. Here is the route. Of course if people prefer pure twisties, can take Decker all the way down and we’ll all meet up at Leo Carillo Beach.

Weather is looking great although we’ll hit some warmer spots on the ride up. Make sure you have layers.

We will need to leave on Friday at 8AM sharp from Long Beach since camping folks will need to arrive early enough to have some daylight remaining. Schooner or Later opens at 7AM for those that want something to eat before departing, but we’ll have a pre-ride briefing at 7:45.

Thanks!

• #14983 Reply
                                                                                                Warren Belkin
                                                                                                Keymaster
                                                                                                  @wbelkin

Oh for those who want to fill up fuel before leaving, there is a 24 hour Mobil station very close to Schooner or Later. The location is Mobil, 6401 CA-1, Long Beach, CA 90803

• #14984 Reply
                                                                                                  Warren Belkin
                                                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                                                    @wbelkin

SORRY FOR THE ADDITIONAL POST…. we just had a rider change so we don’t need to stop at the 7-eleven in Malibu anymore. We will stop at the 76 station a few miles past that just before we get onto the dogleg in the Malibu hills. So I’ve changed the route to remove that 7-eleven stop – final updated route attached (also fixed a few waypoints as shaping points). Will email this as well. Thx.

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                                Reply To: Morro Bay Ride Nov 12-14, 2021

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: