MOA 2021 National Rally!!

Forums MOA 2021 National Rally!!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #14011 Reply
    David Eastly
    Participant
      @dave

Hey South Coasters, here is the preliminary route for our 2021 Great Falls Montana MOA Rally trip.

We’ll be visiting at least six national parks, so you should probably purchase an annual pass beforehand. 

https://store.usgs.gov/pass

You can pre-register for a $20 discount here

https://bmwmoaf.regfox.com/2020rally

Many stops will have a hotel option. I’ll provide a list later. 

If you hotel-ers want to camp at the rally site to avoid post beer garden riding, the Sherpa Packer offers a cool option. I used them in Billings, and it worked out fine. Not cheap, but very comfortable and convenient.

http://www.sherpapackers.com/bmw-moa.html

Saturday 6/19 Day 1, Flo’s Chino – Hurricane UT 375 miles of slabbing.

Sunday 6/20 Day 2, Hurricane UT – Torrey UT via Zion, Bryce, Escalante 215 miles.

Monday 6/21 Day 3 Torrey UT -Logan UT via Capitol Reef and Fishlake 342 miles.

Tuesday 6/22 Day 4 Logan UT – Yellowstone National Park WY via Bear Lake and Jackson 288 miles. I’ll need a camper headcount ASAP so that I can reserve enough campsites.

Wednesday 6/23 Day 5 Yellowstone WY – Bozeman MT via Beartooth Hwy and Red Lodge.

Thursday 6/24 Bozeman – Great Falls (The Rally) 190 miles. We’ll get an early start for an afternoon Rally arrival.

Friday -Saturday 6/25-26 – Rally fun!

Sunday 6/27 Great Falls MT – Whitefish MT via Going To The Sun Road/Glacier Nat Park, traveling East to West.

Monday 6/28 Whitefish MT – Kooskia ID (or somewhere nearby)  via Lolo Pass 280 miles.

Tuesday 6/29 Kooskia ID – Burns OR 324 miles.

Wednesday 6/30 Burns OR – Reno NV 364 miles.

Thursday 7/1Reno NV – Confidence CA, home of the Tripp’s country estate and club campground via Sonora Pass.

Friday – 7/2 Confidence CA – Home  450 miles.

This is just a draft. We’ll have a riders meeting before we finalize the route. We’ll be riding some of the best roads in the western states, so if you can’t do all of it, do some, and meet up – split off when your schedule permits.

More to follow. I’m already packing!!

Viewing 46 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #14014 Reply
        Chris Roady
        Participant
          @chris

Nice Big E, thanks. Cant wait 👍🏻

• #14123 Reply
            Jacob Furgatch
            Participant
              @jake

I’m a yes to camping.

• #14247 Reply
              Henry Salari
              Keymaster
                @goat

Hi David,

Sorry for the late check in. Have you completed the camp reservation? As you may already know, Mammoth is booked and Slough Creek dates will be release on June 15th, while Pebble Creek is first-come first-served.

Goat Moto Tours -
                goatmototours.com

• #14015 Reply
              Willis Ho
              Participant
                @willis_ho

Nice route, I like to camp at Yellowstone.

Thanks, Willis

• #14016 Reply
                John Crittenden
                Participant
                  @john-c

Yes, a pre-ride meeting is a great idea. Maybe we can do that following the May General Meeting.
                  And, I’m in for the camping.
                  Thanks, Dave!

• #14018 Reply
                  David Omlor
                  Participant
                    @david

Thank you Mr. Eastly for this exciting plan. I am hoping to be able to join you all in this adventure.

• #14019 Reply
                    Chris Roady
                    Participant
                      @chris

Would be great to see you again David Omlor, been too long!

• #14032 Reply
                      howard Bland
                      Participant
                        @howard-bland

David, thanks for the route. Looking forward to the trip. Thanks Howard Bland

• #14033 Reply
                        howard Bland
                        Participant
                          @howard-bland

I made reservations at Super 8 motel in Great Falls for 3 nights- $370. Howard Bland

• #14035 Reply
                            Willis Ho
                            Participant
                              @willis_ho

For Howard’s lead, I made a reservations as a backup plan at Super 8 for 3 nights through expedia @ $222 total, refundable the night before 6/24!

Willis 714.767.7969

• #14037 Reply
                            Karl Wagner
                            Participant
                              @sharons-hubby

Looking like it is going to be an amazing trip and rally! 🙂

• #14041 Reply
                              David Eastly
                              Participant
                                @dave

Camping update – Yellowstone is sold out 6/22-23! Yikes.
                                There’s a campground between Tetons and Yellowstone called Lewis Lake that is first come, first served. I’ve stayed there before and it’s nice. That’s probably our best bet. The revised itinerary is;

Tuesday 6/22 Day 4 Logan UT – Lewis Lake WY via Bear Lake and Jackson 275 miles.

Wednesday 6/23 Day 5 Lewis Lake WY – Bozeman MT via Yellowstone NP, Beartooth Hwy and Red Lodge.

• #14043 Reply
                                John Crittenden
                                Participant
                                  @john-c

Sounds like a plan!

• #14045 Reply
                                  Willis Ho
                                  Participant
                                    @willis_ho
                                  • #14075 Reply
                                    Ray Santos
                                    Participant
                                      @rsantos92705yahoo-com

I’m interested also in this trip David. Preparing my bike and camping gear.
                                      Thanks

• #14183 Reply
                                      David Eastly
                                      Participant
                                        @dave

We’ll be having a ride meeting for the June 19 – July 2 MOA National Rally trip after the general meeting on Saturday May 1 at Irv Seavers. I encourage everyone planning on making the trip to attend!

• #14194 Reply
                                        David Eastly
                                        Participant
                                          @dave

Thanks to Karl Wagner for alerting me to this new policy!!

This is for those of you who plan to join the group ride through Glacier Park on Sunday June 27th. We should all get passes in advance, since they are limiting park traffic. Tons of rally-goers will want to ride this amazing road, and It’s likely to sell out.(Remember, we are entering from the East, at St. Mary.)

The NPS had implemented a ticketed entry for Glacier National Part beginning May 21, 2021. Further information is available at:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvis…ketedentry.htm

Note that this is in addition to the regular park entry fee. If you already have an annual NP pass, it’s only a $2 registration fee.

Here’s a link for checking the road conditions. Plowing is underway now, but the road may not be open until July. Check here:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

• #14195 Reply
                                          Willis Ho
                                          Participant
                                            @willis_ho

Just checked the park entry ticket reservation available starting at 8am on 4/29

• #14208 Reply
                                            Karl Wagner
                                            Participant
                                              @sharons-hubby

Just a note Willis and others, the 8am MDT noted on the website is 7am our time. Need to get up an hour earlier… 🙁

• #14209 Reply
                                              Jacob Furgatch
                                              Participant
                                                @jake

Logged on to recreation.gov right now and it shows tickets not yet released. Will keep pinging it every few minutes and see what happens.

• #14210 Reply
                                                Karl Wagner
                                                Participant
                                                  @sharons-hubby

Tickets for Glacier Entry purchased for the ride through 6/27. How did everyone do?

• #14212 Reply
                                                  Chris Roady
                                                  Participant
                                                    @chris

Logged in @ 7:15 AM and told none available. ON the phone for a 15 minute wait currently. Is this where you got yours Karl? I am logged into my account here: https://www.recreation.gov/timed-entry/10087086/ticket/10087087

Edit to add I hung up after 10 minutes. Seems like an itinerary change will occur if this many of us early birds still couldn’t gain a pass.

• #14219 Reply
                                                      Karl Wagner
                                                      Participant
                                                        @sharons-hubby

Yes, right site. Crazy process. I had to get a ticket for the 6/24 which is good for 7 days to get in the planned date of 6/27……..
                                                        BTW, Yosemite is doing the same thing if anyone is going through there on the way home or around the 49er rally….
                                                        🙁

• #14213 Reply
                                                      Jacob Furgatch
                                                      Participant
                                                        @jake

All gone already.

• #14221 Reply
                                                          Jacob Furgatch
                                                          Participant
                                                            @jake

Karl – I almost did the same thing, get an earlier date. But I hesitated a few seconds and then it was gone.

• #14214 Reply
                                                          Willis Ho
                                                          Participant
                                                            @willis_ho
                                                          • #14218 Reply
                                                            Chris Roady
                                                            Participant
                                                              @chris

Best laid plans I guess

• #14220 Reply
                                                              David Eastly
                                                              Participant
                                                                @dave

Wow, that’s disappointing! We’ll discuss options at Saturday’s meeting.

• #14222 Reply
                                                                Willis Ho
                                                                Participant
                                                                  @willis_ho

Just called the recreation.gov at 877.444.6777, more ticket will be available 48 hrs in advanced on 6/25. Or we can get in the sun road at non office hours (before 6:00am or after 5:00pm)

The customer service told me all advanced ticket for the next 60 days are out, except 40+ left for 6/2. It is hard to understand how can that be possible scientifically, will keep trying..

• #14246 Reply
                                                                  Henry Salari
                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                    @goat

Sorry for being a little late to this party. I just pulled the trigger on MOA Rally registration and got the last Sherpa Packers glamping tent. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend today’s riders meeting. If anyone could post worthy cliff notes here or email me directly at [email protected] I’d greatly appreciate it.

Goat Moto Tours -
                                                                    goatmototours.com

• #14252 Reply
                                                                    Mark Borgeson
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @borgie

Well since David Omlor is going I decided to go too. I’ll catch you guys somewhere on the road probably around Yellowstone. I’ll be camping at the rally in if there’s room.

• #14254 Reply
                                                                        David Omlor
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          @david

unfortunately, family urgencies have required me to un-schedule myself from this epic adventure.
                                                                          Y’all have a safe and wonderful rally!

• #14255 Reply
                                                                          Chris Roady
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            @chris

Mark down!!! Bummer David.

• #14253 Reply
                                                                          Henry Salari
                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                            @goat

Did anyone reserve a glamping tent?

Goat Moto Tours -
                                                                            goatmototours.com

• #14285 Reply
                                                                            Willis Ho
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @willis_ho

Going-to-the-Sun Road Entry Ticket new release date is on 5/26.

https://www.recreation.gov/timed-entry/10087086/ticket/10087087

• #14336 Reply
                                                                                Mark Borgeson
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @borgie

Willis,
                                                                                  Thanks for the info! I followed your link and if I read it correctly (starting on 5/26) you can order tickets 2 days before you’re desired entry date. So for us that would be 6/25. However, the tickets are good for 7 days so we could start looking on 6/20.

• #14345 Reply
                                                                                David Eastly
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @dave

Hey guys, I sent out a group email on 5/23 for the trip TO Great Falls, with maps and lodging info. Please let me know if you did NOT receive it. Thanks.
                                                                                  [email protected]

• #14348 Reply
                                                                                    Willis Ho
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      @willis_ho

Hi Dave,

I did not receive the group email on 5/23. Jacob has forwarded it to me.

Willis Ho
                                                                                      714.767.7960
                                                                                      [email protected]

• #14346 Reply
                                                                                    Henry Salari
                                                                                    Keymaster
                                                                                      @goat

To gauge how much crap I need to shed, I’m doing a dry run packing exercise today. Stuck on camp kitchen gear. Doesn’t take much space but weighs a couple of lbs which I prefer leaving behind if not needed. Are we planning of cooking along the way and/or at the rally or are we eating out 3X a day?

Goat Moto Tours -
                                                                                      goatmototours.com

• #14351 Reply
                                                                                      David Eastly
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @dave

A lot of guys, including myself, just bring utensils, cup, plate and a Jetboil or a small burner to heat water. Most camping mornings you’ll want hot water for coffee, oatmeal or whatever. Lunch will usually be on the road, and dinner will either be at a nearby restaurant, or whatever you want to cook for yourself in camp. I usually carry few meals with me. REI has some pretty good freeze dried meals, or you can pick up canned/fresh food along the way. There will be plenty of food vendors at the rally.

• #14371 Reply
                                                                                        Chris Roady
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          @chris

Henry, lay out everything you need … then discard half of it and you’re good! Less is more.

• #14372 Reply
                                                                                          Henry Salari
                                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                                            @goat

Henry, lay out everything you need … then discard half of it and you’re good! Less is more.

Thanks Chris. I’m actually pretty anal about packing so I go one step further and eliminate half of that half before slapping my seal of approval on the dry bag. I just wasn’t sure if I needed to pack my spices and Persian cooking goodies to show off at camp.

As David already nailed it, I thought just utensils, Jetboik, my Persian tea and a couple of Mountain House meals should suffice. I’ve come a long way since my first Moto camping trip.

Goat Moto Tours -
                                                                                            goatmototours.com

• #14374 Reply
                                                                                            David Eastly
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @dave

Hey guys, I just emailed the return route information. Please let me know if you DID’NT get it. Thanks.
                                                                                              [email protected]

• #14385 Reply
                                                                                              Chris Roady
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                @chris

Going to be a great turnout in Montana by South Coasters this year. I see 16 signed up on the Ride List as attending … way to represent SCBMWRC. Just finished my RT service, new Road-5-GT’S are mounted up, let the ”what and where” to pack phase begin! Hoping to avoid looking like Jed Clampet moving out to Beverly Hills 🙂

• #14411 Reply
                                                                                                David Eastly
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  @dave

Here is the info that I emailed to all riders that intend to do this epic trip;

Revised MOA National Rally Route

I realize that some of you are not making the whole ride with the group, but here it is, FYI.
                                                                                                  Maps to follow.

Saturday 6/19 Day 1 (Meet @ 7AM, Kickstand up at 7:30AM) Flo’s Airport Cafe, 7000 Merrill Ave Bldg A315 Chino CA – Hurricane UT 375 miles of slabbing.
                                                                                                  Hotel- Econo Lodge Hurricane 280 W State St. Hurricane UT 84737
                                                                                                  https://www.choicehotels.com/utah/hurricane/econo-lodge-hotels/ut219/rates?checkInDate=2021-06-19&checkOutDate=2021-06-20

Sunday 6/20 Day 2 Hurricane UT – Torrey UT via Zion, Bryce, Escalante 220 miles.
                                                                                                  Hotel – Rim Rock Inn http://therimrock.net

Monday 6/21 Day 3 Torrey UT – Logan UT via Capitol Reef, Park City and Logan 340 miles.
                                                                                                  Camping, Spring Hollow Campground, 7 miles E of Logan on 89. Group B campsite has been reserved

Tuesday 6/22 Day 4 Logan UT – Cody WY via Jackson, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone 356 miles.
                                                                                                  Camping- Ponderosa campground 1815 Eighth St. Cody, WY 82414
                                                                                                  reserved – cash or check

Wednesday 6/23 Day 5 Cody WY – Bozeman MT via Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Hwy and Red Lodge. 261 miles
                                                                                                  Hotel – Baymont by Wyndham, 2020 Wheat Drive, Bozeman MO

Thursday 6/24 Bozeman – Great Falls (The Rally) via 89 – 178 miles. We’ll get an early start for an afternoon Rally arrival.
                                                                                                  Montana ExpoPark, 400 3rd St NW, Great Falls, MT 59404
                                                                                                  Camping at our chartered club site.

Friday -Saturday 6/25-26 – Rally fun!

Sunday 6/27 Great Falls MT – Missoula MT via either Glacier NP or Hwy 2, 340 miles
                                                                                                  Hotel- Super 8 by Wyndham 3901 S Brooks St Missoula MT 59804
                                                                                                  https://secure.rezserver.com/hotels/hotel/?hotel_id=700210456&rdd=1622132274u0s800048976USD52k200bh&refid=8158

Monday 6/28 Missoula MT – Council ID via Lolo Pass, 272 miles.
                                                                                                  Evergreen Campground, 2092 HIGHWAY 95, COUNCIL, ID 83612 spaces 9 & 12. There are more spaces available on a first come first served basis if we need more room.

Tuesday 6/29 Council ID – Lakeview OR, 337 miles.
                                                                                                  Hotel – Lakeview Lodge Motel 301 N G St, Lakeview OR 97630
                                                                                                  https://reservation.asiwebres.com/v4/RoomAvailability.aspx?sid=e2d186619ed7411ebc2aa9005dd0e7682

Wednesday 6/30 Lakeview OR – Confidence CA, home of club members Rob and Kellie Tripp, via 395, 580,395 again, and Sonora pass, Hwy 108, 386 miles.
                                                                                                  Camping on the Tripps estate.

Thursday 7/1 Confidence CA – Home, 381 miles.

Total distance – 3,446+ miles.

Woohoo!

• #14431 Reply
                                                                                                  Chris Roady
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    @chris

See y’all there!! Brandon and I roll tonight @ 3AM to try and outsmart the dez 😉

• #14432 Reply
                                                                                                    David Eastly
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @dave

Hi riders!
                                                                                                      Here is the final ride list and departure info for Saturday, June 19, 2021.

John Crittenden, Jacob Furgatch, Ray Santos and myself will meet at Flo’s Airport Cafe 7000 Merrill Ave Bldg A315, Chino at 5:30AM, 6AM departure.

Willis Ho, Henry Salari and Bill Kelley Jr will meet us at the In-N-Out parking lot in Victorville at 7:30AM. 15290 Civic Dr Victorville, CA 92394

Howard Bland will leave SoCal at 1PM, meeting us in Hurricane after 8PM.

Julito Antolin is riding to the rally with another group, leaving Tuesday.

Mark Borgeson will meet up with us on Tuesday late morning.

Harry Hoffman and Michelle will meet us in Cody on Tuesday evening.

Karl and Sharon Wagner are riding to the rally with another group, leaving Friday.

Everyone else will meet up at the rally.

Hopefully the current heatwave will not be as bad when we ride on Saturday, but, again, prepare to ride through some hot weather!!

I’m keeping an eye on the Robertson Draw fire in Montana. As of today Beartooth Pass is still open. Cross your fingers!

Here are some GPX files for your navigating pleasure. Thanks to Henry for supplying these!

Let’s ride!!

Dave Eastly
                                                                                                      [email protected]

• #14439 Reply
                                                                                                      David Eastly
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        @dave
                                                                                                      • #14447 Reply
                                                                                                        Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          @borgie

Thanks again for all the hard work Dave!
                                                                                                          I’m headed out solo today. See you all on Tuesday.

• #14448 Reply
                                                                                                          Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            @borgie

Ok folks. Don’t forget to start checking for Going-to-the-Sun Road Entry Tickets. Today’s are all gone. Check again tomorrow…

• #14449 Reply
                                                                                                            Bill Allen
                                                                                                            Blocked
                                                                                                              @lucky

Bill Schimko left Hacienda Heights at 1 am this morning and arrived in Mesquite, NV at 6 am. He is going to rest and do another midnight run through Utah.

• #14450 Reply
                                                                                                              Bill Allen
                                                                                                              Blocked
                                                                                                                @lucky

Update on Bill Schimko:
                                                                                                                He called from Pocatello, Idaho. He rode from 11 pm last night to 6 am this morning.
                                                                                                                He didn’t know what day it is. He thought it was Tuesday. I had a hard time convincing him it was Monday.
                                                                                                                He has three days to get to Great Falls. He says he is done with Interstates and is going to take his time.

• #14451 Reply
                                                                                                                  Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                    @borgie

I went through Pocatello this afternoon, 6/21. Interstates for 2 days from Portland was boring. The last half of today though was through nice scenic ID highways. I’m meeting up with the club riders later tomorrow morning about 50m south of Jackson WY. Kind of a long shot but if Bill wants to connect up with us (and ride during the daytime) it’s a 2.5 hr ride from Pocatello to WY. If he left early morning he could catch us.

• #14452 Reply
                                                                                                                  Bill Allen
                                                                                                                  Blocked
                                                                                                                    @lucky

Did you ride Lolo Pass?

• #14467 Reply
                                                                                                                    John Crittenden
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                      @john-c

Welcome back everyone! REALLY GOOD trip!

A couple of things for all the Rally-goers:

> Please send Dave E. or me your miles, if you have them, and if you didn’t ride with
                                                                                                                      the main group. We will add these to the Club Mileage for the 2020-2021 Ride Year.

> If you would, please do a page or two writeup on your favorite part/s of the Rally
                                                                                                                      trip, with some photos if you have them, and send to Harry for the Newsletter. We
                                                                                                                      can include for the July NL and the August NL.

Thanks!

• #14491 Reply
                                                                                                                      Henry Salari
                                                                                                                      Keymaster
                                                                                                                        @goat

For those who haven’t seen the video:

The video

Goat Moto Tours -
                                                                                                                        goatmototours.com

• #14496 Reply
                                                                                                                          Erasmo Brenes
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            @erasmo-b

Henry, as always, a great video!!
                                                                                                                            BTW, I laughed so much at the Windows XP 🙂

• #14497 Reply
                                                                                                                          Henry Salari
                                                                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                                                                            @goat

Henry, as always, a great video!!
                                                                                                                            BTW, I laughed so much at the Windows XP 🙂

Thank you Erasmo. Not many people got the reference. 😂😂😂

Goat Moto Tours -
                                                                                                                            goatmototours.com

Viewing 46 reply threads
                                                                                                                        Reply To: MOA 2021 National Rally!!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                                        Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: