Laguna Mountain Ride: October 13, 14 & 15

Forums Calendar Events Laguna Mountain Ride: October 13, 14 & 15

• Creator
    Topic
  • #19800 Reply
    Eric Wolf
    Keymaster
      @wolf

Join us to ride the beautiful diverse back country of Eastern San Diego County…from the desert beauty of Anza Borrego State Park to the beautiful mountains surrounding Mt. Laguna to the beauty of Cleveland National Forest.

Stay at the quaint Laguna Mountain Lodge that is at 6,000 feet on the top of Laguna Mountain giving us access to an unlimited, diverse riding experience.

In addition to the great riding, enjoy the Fun and Games late afternoon Friday and Saturday: Horseshoes, Shuffleboard, Bocce Ball and a lot of tall tales!!!

Accommodations: Go to http://www.lagunamountain.com and view pictures of all the rooms to make your selection of room type.

Book your reservations directly with the Laguna Mountain Lodge – Call 619-473-8533 to book your room. They only accept reservations over the telephone and they do not take credit cards. You will have to send them a check in the mail once your room is booked. If you call and there is no answer, leave your name and number and they will call you back.

Checks to be mailed to: Laguna Mountain Lodge, PO Box 146, Mt. Laguna, CA 91948

· Queen Bed – 10 rooms @ $119.00 per night including tax

· Twin Beds – 2 rooms@ $119.00 per night including tax

· 1 Bedroom Bungalow – Queen Bed – 8 rooms @ $135.00 per night including tax

· 1 Bedroom Bungalow – Twin Beds – 2 rooms @ $135.00 per night including tax

· 2 Bedroom Bungalow – Queen/Double – 5 rooms – prices range from $157 to $206 per night including tax

· 2 Bedroom Bungalow – Double/Twin – 1 room – @ $157.00 per night including tax

Camping: Burnt Rancheria Campground

Location: less than ½ mile south of the Laguna Mountain Lodge

Campsites are $72.00 for the 2 nights and includes taxes and fees

Maximum of 4 bikes/8 people per site

Two restaurants within walking distance:

Friday night dinner

· The Outpost by Valley Farm – directly across the street – Salads/Burgers/BBQ/ Pizza

Saturday night dinner

· Pine House Café & Tavern – less than ½ miles south – Quaint & Cozy/Good food/live music/bar

o Serves Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday Mornings

Julian – 30 minutes away – has numerous restaurants.

Departure: Friday morning, October 13

· Meet-up #1: 8:30am – KSU 9:00am –

· South Orange County – Starbucks, in the shopping center on the NE Corner of Antonio Parkway and Ortega Hwy

Meet-up # 2 – 9:00am – KSU 9:30

· Starbucks in Murrieta area – 32080 Clinton Keith Rd, Wildomar, CA

· Just West of I-15

Routes to be posted prior to the departure date.

This is a great location for your wives/girlfriends to join our group for the weekend. We plan on having a Wives’ Carpool for this event. There is a lot for the wives to do in the area. Julian is only 30 minutes away with great shopping, arts and crafts and wonderful pie. There are also great hiking trails in the area.

Viewing 46 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #19801 Reply
        Eric Wolf
        Keymaster
          @wolf

I know we are a long way off but, camping anyone?  I’ll probably reserve a site. $72 divided 4 ways.  Can’t beat that.

• #19806 Reply
          Ed Taylor
            @etaylorrisksolutions-inc-com

Eric,  Count me in for camping.

• #19807 Reply
            John Crittenden
            Participant
              @john-c

Camping here also, please!

• #19810 Reply
              Carl Tung
              Participant
                @tung

Eric, count me in for camping. Thx.

/carl

• #19819 Reply
                Eric Wolf
                Keymaster
                  @wolf

Camping at 6,000′ in October, what could go wrong!  And, do I have a checked history with Sunrise Hwy and Mt Laguna?

• #20333 Reply
                  Ric Magrath
                    @ric-magrath

Eric, have you booked a camp site (or 2) for this weekend yet? the reservation site shows 2 sites, on opposite sides of the campground, as being the only available. Unbelievable.

• #20335 Reply
                    Eric Wolf
                    Keymaster
                      @wolf

Thanks for checking in Ric!  Yes, we have two sites booked.

South Coasters, We can have 8 people per site so we still have plenty of room. Come join us for fall camping in the cool SoCal mountains.  If you are interested, respond to this post and let me know that you’re camping. I’d like to get a good headcount. Thanks

• #20336 Reply
                      Ric Magrath
                        @ric-magrath

Great. I’m in for camping.

Registered on the event page as well.

I booked one of the remaining sites (site 004) just in case. I will hang onto it, until cancellation deadline, as back up.

• #20337 Reply
                        Eric Wolf
                        Keymaster
                          @wolf

Cool, thanks Ric

• #20368 Reply
                          Pete Rissman
                            @thatpete

I was going to break my norm and reserve a room, but then I asked myself “Where’s your sense of adventure, Pete?” Eric’s “What could go wrong?” sealed the deal.

Count me in for camping.

• #20372 Reply
                            Eric Wolf
                            Keymaster
                              @wolf

Awesome Pete, and I promise that your tent won’t blow away in the middle of the night…with you in it!!!

• #20425 Reply
                              Steve Leo
                              Participant
                                @steve

LAGUNA MOUNTAIN RIDE UPDATE!!!!!

We are 6 weeks away from our Laguna Mountain Adventure and we already have 16 BIKES and 19 PEOPLE!

Just a reminder that we will have 2 Meet-Up locations:

– Meet-Up #1 in Orange County at Antonio Pkwy & Ortega Hwy

– Meet-Up #2 in Murrieta on Clinton Keith just west of the I15.

We have a couple of wives driving up to spend the weekend hiking and shopping so it is time to have your wife join us for the weekend.

The 2 Meet-up Groups will have separate routes going to lunch at the Paradise Cafe on Pines to Palms Hwy (74) at Hwy 371.

Same route for everyone after lunch. The routes will be sent out the week prior to the ride.

We have dinner reservation at 6:30pm on Saturday Night at the Pine House Cafe & Tavern. It is a nice walk down Sunrise Hwy to the restaurant – 1/3 of a mile. They serve breakfast both Saturday and Sunday morning.

PLEASE BE SURE AND REGISTER ON THIS SITE IF YOU ARE GOING TO JOIN US!!!

• #20462 Reply
                                Eric Wolf
                                Keymaster
                                  @wolf

Thanks for the update Steve.  Dinner with the South Coasters is an added treat.  Darn, we won’t get to eat re-hydrated camp food.

Speaking of that, we still have plenty of room around the campfire.  The price of admission is a sipping cocktail.

If you want to camp, please note that in this thread so that I can keep a count.

• #20719 Reply
                                  Joe Reyes
                                  Participant
                                    @joe-r

Just signed up for the ride! hope it’s not too late to join.

• #20720 Reply
                                    John Crittenden
                                    Participant
                                      @john-c

Camping, Joe?    And, not too late to join in.

• #20721 Reply
                                      Joe Reyes
                                      Participant
                                        @joe-r

Yes. I’ll be camping this time around. Looking forward to it!

• #20727 Reply
                                        Gilbert Galvez
                                        Participant
                                          @gilbertgalvez

Eric, is there room still for camping?

• #20746 Reply
                                          Ed Taylor

I will bring my now famous or infamous  Tequila to the camp fire.

• #20750 Reply
                                            Ric Magrath
                                              @ric-magrath

Gilbert, There is still plenty of camping room, so join in the fun.

• #20850 Reply
                                              Steve Leo
                                              Participant
                                                @steve

Laguna Mountain Ride Up-Date

The weather looks like it is going to be beautiful for our ride. Hi 70s in the Julian area, low 80s along the border and a high of 70 at Mount Laguna. It will be cool in the evening and mornings so bring a jacket for the walks to the restaurants. No forecast for precipitation.

I will post the routes here on the Forum on Monday evening.

Remember there are two meet-up locations on Friday morning – South Orange County – Antonio Parkway and Ortega Hwy at Satrbucks and on Clinton Keith Rd just west of the 15 at Starbucks. Details are listed at the beginning of this stream.

Great turnout so far….looks like 22 bikes. There are still rooms available if you want to join us for a great ride.

• #20875 Reply
                                                Steve Leo
                                                Participant
                                                  @steve

GPX Files for the Laguna Mountain Ride.

Here are the GPX files for the Laguna Mountain Ride. There are 5 files

Friday AM from Capistrano to Lunch

Friday AM from Wildomar/Murrietta to Lunch

Friday PM – Lunch to Lodge

Saturday AM Lodge to Lunch

Saturday PM Lunch to Lodge

Still space available for anyone who wants to join us. 22 bikes registered for the ride

• #20939 Reply
                                                    Eric Wolf
                                                    Keymaster
                                                      @wolf

Great work Steve!

Thanks for setting this up.  Big, fun group.  See you tomorrow!

• #20882 Reply
                                                    Eric Wolf
                                                    Keymaster
                                                      @wolf

Hi All,

There is still room for camping!

If you haven’t made up your mind yet let me make if for you.  Yes, you want to join me, Ric, Pete, Gilbert, Carl, Ed, John, and Joe, sipping a whiskey around the campfire.  If you don’t have gear, no problem, you can snuggle up with John C  ;8>o

Those of you on my list, please confirm that you still plan to join us.  Thanks

• #20883 Reply
                                                        Joe Reyes
                                                        Participant
                                                          @joe-r

I’m still in for camping this weekend!

I’ll be meeting the group at Murrieta Friday morning.

• #20908 Reply
                                                          Carl Tung
                                                          Participant
                                                            @tung

Eric, I’m confirmed for camping. Also, Brandon Key.

/carl

• #20884 Reply
                                                          Eric Wolf
                                                          Keymaster
                                                            @wolf

Awesome, thanks Joe.

• #20888 Reply
                                                            Ric Magrath
                                                              @ric-magrath

I’m definitely still camping.

I will be making my way down to Burnt Rancheria Campground Friday afternoon. See ya’ll there.

• #20889 Reply
                                                              John Crittenden
                                                              Participant
                                                                @john-c

It’s also possible I will be coming a little later Friday afternoon, depending on work.   Don’t wait for me in Murrieta.

• #20890 Reply
                                                                Gilbert Galvez
                                                                Participant
                                                                  @gilbertgalvez

I will be camping.

• #20909 Reply
                                                                  Carl Tung
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    @tung

A friend of mine mentioned Ortega Highway (SR-74) will closed this weekend for construction. Can anyone corroborate?

• #20910 Reply
                                                                    Carl Tung
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @tung
                                                                    • #20912 Reply
                                                                      Carl Tung
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @tung

Digging a little further, looks like we’re safe, since they will not close SR-74 between OC and Lake Elsinore until Friday 9pm and we will cross SR-74 in the morning.

RIVERSIDE, CA – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) continues work on State Route 74 (SR-74) in Riverside County from the Riverside and Orange County border to Monte Vista, just west of Lake Elsinore. Crews will be performing paving operations at various locations throughout the project zone.

A FULL 55-HOUR WEEKEND CLOSURE WILL BEGIN AT 9:00 P.M. ON FRIDAY, OCTOBER 13 AND CONTINUE TO 4:00 A.M. ON MONDAY, OCTOBER 16.

• #20913 Reply
                                                                        Ron Zablocki
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                          @ron-z

The Caltrans Road Conditions site is showing the 74 as currently open.

• #20931 Reply
                                                                          Willis Ho
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            @willis_ho

Will arrive and join the 10/14 Saturday night group dinner at Pine House Cafe & Tavern.  Check-in a cabin at the Tavern for the evening.

• #20933 Reply
                                                                            Willis Ho
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @willis_ho

Hi All, There is still room for camping! If you haven’t made up your mind yet let me make if for you. Yes, you want to join me, Ric, Pete, Gilbert, Carl, Ed, John, and Joe, sipping a whiskey around the campfire. If you don’t have gear, no problem, you can snuggle up with John C ;8>o Those of you on my list, please confirm that you still plan to join us. Thanks

Quote Any information for the Site # the group will be camping?  I am checking in a cabin next to the camp site on Saturday.
                                                                            • #20935 Reply
                                                                              Ed Taylor
                                                                              Moderator

Eric I am still in for camping.   The loaded bike looks like the Beverly Hillbillie’s truck.  I need to get better at this camping thing.

• #20936 Reply
                                                                                Willis Ho
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @willis_ho

Eric I am still in for camping. The loaded bike looks like the Beverly Hillbillie’s truck. I need to get better at this camping thing.

I have a cabinet next to the campsite, just in case if anyone need electrical hookup or taking a shower.
                                                                                • #20938 Reply
                                                                                  Eric Wolf
                                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                                    @wolf

Thanks Willis and all for checking back in.  Looks like we’ll have a big group around the campfire.  And we’ll make space if you just want to come join us in the evening.

We have sites 36 (Eric), 41 (John), and 04 (Ric).  Sorry they are not all together but we’ll make it work.

• #20940 Reply
                                                                                    Ron Zablocki
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                      @ron-z

Unfortunately Lorna and I are not going to be able to attend. I double-checked this morning and I tested positive for Covid both times.

I called the lodge and left a message for them to call me back, but I’m hoping they can do something about the money that I’ve already paid for the room.

It looks like it’s going to be a great weekend, and the routes looked awesome. Have a great time ya’all!

• #20941 Reply
                                                                                      Ron Zablocki
                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                        @ron-z

If anyone wants my reserved room (1 queen room) for Fri and Sat nights, you can have it for $150.

Just let me know.

• #20943 Reply
                                                                                        Eric Wolf
                                                                                        Keymaster
                                                                                          @wolf

Sorry to hear that Ron.  Dang, we’ll miss you and Lorna.

• #20944 Reply
                                                                                          Willis Ho
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @willis_ho
                                                                                            Hi Ron,
                                                                                            I got Covid two months ago even after seven shots of moderna.  Talked to the doctor over the phone and got the Paxlovid.  The light coughing symptoms went away after three days.
                                                                                            Miss you and Lorna, see you in the next trip.
                                                                                          • #20946 Reply
                                                                                            Pete Rissman
                                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                              @thatpete

Here’s the campground map that I embellished a little for clarity. My additions should be self-evident.

I was there in mid-September and talked to the camp host, and he suggested that site 36 was the most secluded and most spacious, so that might be the best choice for the group campfires. I didn’t know what site number John had at the time, though.

I thought I had posted this in the thread, but apparently not: I will be in the lodge rather than camping this trip. I was scheduled to have Mohs surgery today on a basal cell carsinoma on my cheek and I didn’t think changing bandages and other wound care in a campground was the best idea, so I reserved a room. But they postponed my surgery until Oct 23 this morning and I’d rather camp, however I can only get a 50% refund from the room reservation so I’m sticking with that option.

See y’all tomorrow.

• #20948 Reply
                                                                                              Eric Wolf
                                                                                              Keymaster
                                                                                                @wolf

Sorry if I missed it but what time are we meeting at Clinton Keith?

• #20949 Reply
                                                                                                Joe Reyes
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  @joe-r

Your first post has a KSU from Clinton Keith at 9:30. I was planning on that.

• #20950 Reply
                                                                                                  Pete Rissman
                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                    @thatpete

Your first post has a KSU from Clinton Keith at 9:30. I was planning on that.

The Wildomar KSU @ 9:30 is correct. The Rancho Mission Viejo KSU is 9:00. Barring complications, both groups should arrive at the lunch stop at about the same time.
                                                                                                    Pete
                                                                                                  • #20951 Reply
                                                                                                    Ed Taylor
                                                                                                    Moderator

Ron, Sorry to hear you are you cant make it.  Willis’s Rx suggestion worked for us.

• #20952 Reply
                                                                                                        Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                                          @ron-z

Thanks Ed & Willis – I’ve been on Plaxovid for the last 3 days.

• #20953 Reply
                                                                                                        Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                                          @ron-z

Well, the Covid gods have blessed me. I just had a PCR test done this morning, and the results came back Negative! That extra day on Plaxovid must have done it, though I need to keep taking it until it’d gone.

So I’ll be packing up and heading to the lodge this afternoon. See ya’ll tonight, though Lorna still can’t make it unfortunately.

• #20979 Reply
                                                                                                          Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                                            @ron-z

Home safe and sound with 470 round trip miles on the ODO.

Thank you Steve and Pete for an awesome weekend, with great peeps and excellent routes!

• #20980 Reply
                                                                                                            Ed Taylor
                                                                                                            Moderator

Great weekend.  Thank you Steve for a well planned and produced trip. The routes interesting, thank you Pete.   Saturday night dinner, incredible.

Viewing 46 reply threads
                                                                                                          Reply To: Laguna Mountain Ride: October 13, 14 & 15

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                          Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: