Helmet Opinions

Forums General Helmet Opinions

• Creator
    Topic
  • #13623 Reply
    Chris Roady
    Participant
      @chris

Hitting the 5 year mark on my Shoei RF1200 and thinking about replacements. Shoei has updated to a RF1400 which intrigues me since Shoei fits me correctly. I have had someone … think mouse ears … advocate strongly for the Shoei Neotech II. I’m not sold on a modular helmet, but not opposed either. In that vein, the other helmet I am really interested in (and would love some input on) is the AGV Sport Modular. Rev Zilla loves it, weight is significantly less than the Shoei due to being carbon fiber and it also has the flip down sun sheild which would be nice to have. Not sure if anyone in the club uses an AGV?

Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #13624 Reply
        John Crittenden
        Participant
          @john-c

Don’t ask me, as I’ve been very happy with my Scorpion EXO modular—-on my 2nd one now.

• #13626 Reply
          Chris Roady
          Participant
            @chris

Thanks John, I will check out the Scorpion. One of my problems with looking into a new helmet that is not a known to me fit (Shoei), is my current inability to try one on.

• #13644 Reply
            David Eastly
            Participant
              @dave

Mouse ears? Ouch!

• #13646 Reply
              Erasmo Brenes
              Participant
                @erasmo-b

Modular helmets are noisier than a regular full face.
                When I was looking at getting a replacement for my Schubert, I looked into the AGV (back in late 2019). I tried the carbon all black AGV at Cycle Gear. The fit was fine, but the clerk told me that it would be noisier because of the carbon fiber shell that for weight savings, didn’t have enough internal padding (to isolate noise). Also, reading the Revzilla comments/reviews, there was a problem with the initial version with regard to
                the latch (being cumbersome to open/close) and to some people, their adam’s apple would hit the helmet.
                I didn’t have any issue with the latch nor my adam’s apple πŸ™‚

Didn’t buy the helmet (or any for that matter) so I’m still looking but without a “rush” to replace. πŸ™‚

• #13647 Reply
                Chris Roady
                Participant
                  @chris

Appreciate the inputs, and mouse ears is a term of endearment Big E πŸ˜‰

• #13652 Reply
                  Bill Allen
                  Blocked
                    @lucky

I like my new Shoei Neotech (I think that’s what it is), although I have not worn it on a bike while moving. It is not only comfortable, but it also accommodates the Sena pretty well.

• #13660 Reply
                    Brandon Wilson
                    Keymaster
                      @brandon-w

Chris,

This makes me ‘miss’ the IMS in LB. Last year my mission was commuting boots – accomplished. Although trying on helmets at the IMS in non-COVID times is sorta nasty anyway (imagine how many people put them on) it does help nail down the fit and a show deal πŸ™‚

• #13662 Reply
                      Steve Leo
                      Participant
                        @steve

Both Jan and I ride with the Shoei Neotech and we love them. We both tried the Shubeth but found them instantly uncomfortable. It all comes down to the shape of your head. Shubeth and Shoei are very different. We do not find the Neotech to be very noisy – very little wind noise. I love the drop-down sun visor and the latch is very easy to use. Another thing I like about the Neotec is the fit versatility. When I first tried it on my cheeks were squished so I simply ordered the alternative thinner cheek pads and got a perfect fit.

• #13663 Reply
                        Ron Zablocki
                          @ron-z

I also have the Shoes Neotec 1 and like it a lot – comfortable and easy to add comms to it. But again, it all comes down to the shape of one’s head.

• #13675 Reply
                          Alan DeCarr
                          Participant
                            @adecarr

The Dainese store in Newport Beach carries the AGV helmet. I’ve been a Shoei modular guy for several years but decided to give the AGV a shot. I loved the lightweight and the cool carbon fiber look. The chin strap is very tight on the AGV and the sunshield sits very close to the front of the nose (due to sport styling). I wanted to love it because it wasn’t cheap. However, for me, it was never as comfortable as the Shoei. Sold it to a friend, or I’d let you try it out for a few rides. I bought a Shoei NeoTech 2 with the built in Sena (separate purchase). The shape of your head will definitely let you know how comfy the AGV is…for me…I’m a Shoei head!! If the AGV fits, it’s a wonderful helmet.

• #13676 Reply
                            Chris Roady
                            Participant
                              @chris

Appreciate the opinions a lot, thanks. I do have a Shoei head and they have been my go to for street helmets for my last several helmets. Interestingly enough my dirt helmet preference has been Arai, but their street helmets fit me different. All the feedback leads me to the thought of don’t change horses midstream and stick with what I know fits and is comfortable … the Shoei. Now to decide if I upgrade my RF1200 to the new RF1400 or go modular …

Viewing 10 reply threads
                          Reply To: Helmet Opinions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                          Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: