FALL COLORS OCT 18-20

Forums Rides FALL COLORS OCT 18-20

• Creator
    Topic
  • #11101 Reply
    Brandon Wilson
    Keymaster
      @brandon-w

Fall colors is right around the corner, and as I have struggled with a few things, so before we get all sorts of Boo’s and Hisses, here is how I am going to run things for this years quest for the color.

IMPORTANT HOTEL INFORMATION: The rates just suck, and I could not get a reasonable block of rooms, to hold for a few weeks. So the OFFICIAL DECISION is you are on your own to reserve a room. There are plenty of options. Some folks prefer the Best Western, but at 140-160 a night for a BW, you can stay at the Bishop Creekside Inn http://www.bishopcreeksideinn.com and there are many others within walking distance for a little more than the BW rate.

Some of us are opting for a camp trailer out of town, and I am securing a 29 foot camper trailer which will sleep 4 comfortably. PM me if you want to know more about this option, as there is room for one more staying at a camp/RV site about 11 miles outside of Bishop. The company I am using for the trailer rental is http://adventureincamping.com They bring it to the site of your choosing, and they take it away. Since we are staying in such a fashion, there will be a camp fire and all are welcome to join in the fireside chat should you wish.

ABOUT THE RIDE: This is a tour looking for the beauty the fall has to offer. If you are planning on long miles without stops, this is not the tour for you, especially on Saturday. I will post a detailed ride outline prior, but in the meantime, this is the general idea for your planning purposes.

• We will target to leave the LA Basin around 9AM – stopping around Ridgecrest for lunch, a stop or two along the 395 for some oooooo and ahhhhh and targeting to arrive in Bishop around 5PM.

• The official group dinner will be on Friday night. Saturday will be an on your own with who you would like to eat with etc.

• Saturday will be the tour day. You can expect to stop frequently, get on and off your motorcycle, take your helmet off, take pictures and savor what the region has to offer. I expect the route when final to be around a 200 mile day.

• Saturday night – enjoying dinner as you see fit.

• Sunday, depart bishop round 9AM, lunch on the way home and as much non-freeway tarmac as possible.

I hosted this ride a few years ago and as it was my first overnight hosting, I hope this one to be equally beautiful; hopefully more colors since the wind blew all the leaves off the trees the Friday we arrived. But hey, we are going to a beautiful part of our state with the passion of our rides, and the folks who enjoy the same. I hope you will enjoy this trip as much as I am looking forward to organizing it for you. Stay tuned for more details such as the official ride schedule, destinations and other fun.

Warm regards,
      Brandon

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #11114 Reply
        Chris Roady
        Participant
          @chris

Looking forward to a fun weekend! Hopefully some others will choose to go the rv route via http://adventureincamping.com/ but if we get spread out across multiple locations, it will still be great to have a location to sit around a campfire at night! I h@ve a couple of friends who have used trailer rental companies l8ke this before in the desert and it is a cool deal. They setup / tear down, stock the trailer, etc … a cool deal.

• #11117 Reply
          Mark Borgeson
          Participant
            @borgie

The RV rental sounds like a lot of fun. If, however, you want to stay in a hotel, the Bishop Creekside Inn is fabulous! They have nice rooms, a heated pool, Jacuzzi, fire pits, and creekside patios with big padded couches and chairs to hang out after the day’s ride. They also include a nice breakfast with very good food. Hard to beat. It’s a little pricy, but, according to Brandon, all the hotels in Bishop are now.

• #11133 Reply
            Jessie Vaca
            Participant
              @jtb-vaca

Just booked a room with 2 queen beds if anyone wants to split the cost/room let know

• #11141 Reply
              Richard Catarineau
              Keymaster
                @rick-webmaster

Boo… Hiss…

I’ll be in Texas the month of October so I’m going to miss this ride!

• #11175 Reply
                Ed Taylor
                  @etaylorrisksolutions-inc-com

Jesse, I see your post about the Fall Colors Ride. Is that other bed still available? Ed

• #11176 Reply
                  Jessie Vaca
                  Participant
                    @jtb-vaca

Yes it is Ed, if you are interested I can send you the info

• #11177 Reply
                    Jessie Vaca
                    Participant
                      @jtb-vaca

Yes it is Ed, if you are interested I can send you the info

• #11178 Reply
                      Ed Taylor

Perfect. I would like to take it. Obviously sharing the cost. Looking forward to an interesting ride. Thanks Ed

• #11186 Reply
                        Brandon Wilson
                        Keymaster
                          @brandon-w

Will be great to see you out there Ed!

• #11193 Reply
                          Jessie Vaca
                          Participant
                            @jtb-vaca

Ed the hotel is the Vagabond, if you are at the meeting on Saturday I will share more!

• #11228 Reply
                            Dan Burtt
                            Participant
                              @dlburtt

I have a 2 bed room at the Creekside Inn if anyone is interested in sharing. Just send an email.

• #11230 Reply
                              Warren Belkin
                              Keymaster
                                @wbelkin

Is there a group ride up on Friday? Any plans? Thx.

• #11232 Reply
                                Ron Zablocki
                                  @ron-z

I’m going to have to miss this event as well due to Lorna’s dad passing away. 🙁

• #11246 Reply
                                  Chris Roady
                                  Participant
                                    @chris

Sorry to hear on both counts Ron. Please pass my condolences on to Lorna as well.

• #11252 Reply
                                    Brandon Wilson
                                    Keymaster
                                      @brandon-w

Sorry to hear the news, Ron. Prayers for you and your family.

• #11253 Reply
                                      Brandon Wilson
                                      Keymaster
                                        @brandon-w

RIDE OUTLINE HERE!!!!

Ok folks, now for the fun part of the planning for this week; please find the attached ride outline for the adventures we will find ourselves in. If there are any questions, please post to the thread here. Make sure to bring layers and heated gear. We will have some cold spots!

• #11258 Reply
                                        Brandon Wilson
                                        Keymaster
                                          @brandon-w

GPX FILES HERE!!!!!!!

Ok folks, here are the GPX files for your hungry GPS units. See you soon!

• #11262 Reply
                                          Joe Alwan
                                          Participant
                                            @jalwan

Hey Brandon – thanks for posting all the details and routes! Just want to confirm the meet-up spot for Friday morning. The ride outline Word doc says Building 8 at the airport, which I think is the Planes of Fame Air Museum. The GPX file shows the first waypoint at Flo’s Airport Cafe (Building A315). Can you confirm which is the meet-up spot?

• #11263 Reply
                                            Brandon Wilson
                                            Keymaster
                                              @brandon-w

Flo’s cafe, Joe. I took the address from the web so Strange there is a disconnect. I don’t know which building is which but there is a sign when there. It is nearby AIA.

• #11267 Reply
                                              Erasmo Brenes
                                              Participant
                                                @erasmo-b

Brandon,

I’ll be leaving from work around noon, so hopefully I catch up to the group somewhere up the 395 before Bishop, if not, I’ll see you at the dinner.
                                                Looking forward to this weekend!

• #11268 Reply
                                                Brandon Wilson
                                                Keymaster
                                                  @brandon-w

Sounds good. Thanks for letting me know.

• #11273 Reply
                                                  Erasmo Brenes
                                                  Participant
                                                    @erasmo-b

Well, I just got home. It was a great weekend. Thanks Brandon for putting together this trip.
                                                    Great company, met new members, all in all, a great weekend with friends and good roads for riding.
                                                    Till next one!

• #11277 Reply
                                                    Brandon Wilson
                                                    Keymaster
                                                      @brandon-w

Thanks Erasmo, it was great for you to join. Until the next one!

• #11278 Reply
                                                      Joe Alwan
                                                      Participant
                                                        @jalwan

Big thanks to Brandon Wilson for organizing the weekend! And to Eric Wolf for leading a group of us to the Tioga Pass on Saturday and Angeles Crest Highway on the way home today. Next up: Streetmasters!!

• #11280 Reply
                                                        Ed Taylor

Brandon and all who made this Fall Colors trip successful, Thanks I had a great time. Ed

• #11292 Reply
                                                          Karl Wagner
                                                          Participant
                                                            @sharons-hubby

Ed Taylor went on this ride…… man we missed a fun group ride!!! :0

• #11295 Reply
                                                            Ed Taylor

Karl, Yep I did and was reminded what a fun and inviting group this is. StreetMasters next week. Ed

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                          Reply To: FALL COLORS OCT 18-20

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                          Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: