Fall Colors 2021

Forums Rides Fall Colors 2021

• Creator
    Topic
  • #14569 Reply
    Brandon Wilson
    Keymaster
      @brandon-w

Greetings, South Coasters. Let us start the planning activities for the Fall Colors Tour. First, a few items to know:

1) This is a fall colors tour. For those who are riding with me, we will often stop, snap pictures and remove helmets.

2) If point 1 is not your cup of tea, I suggest a ride that better suits your style. I will post GPX files of the route I will take and the lunch stop location at June Lake, so feel free to do your own thing and meet us for food and libations at the end of the day.

3) Group riding is optional. Some like to ride with the group, and others don’t. Do what you prefer to do and see you there!

4) If you do your personal choice route, the milage contest actuals will be the published miles from the GPX.

5) Weather this time of year can be interesting. Bring warm gear and rain gear just in case. I did this ride once without warm gear, and I had to borrow some base layers – thank you, Danny! 🙂

I am working with Creekside Inn for the rooms and will serve as the base camp of our trip. I do not yet have the block room details, but I am working with them and waiting for a response.

https://www.bishopcreeksideinn.com/ – check out their website. Members have stayed here previously, and the experience, cleanliness etc. was a positive one.

Stay tuned to the rider thread for more details and I look forward to a fun ride.

Viewing 38 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #14728 Reply
        Ron Zablocki
          @ron-z

Hi Brandon – any word on hotel availability yet?

• #14741 Reply
          Brandon Wilson
          Keymaster
            @brandon-w

Hey Guys –

I finally have some options. The bottom line is Creekside will not do block rates easily. So here are your choices:

1) Call Creekside and make a reservation. I am currently booked there with a 2 Queen bed option for 159. Ask for Cheyanne and she will take good care of you and is waiting your calls should you wish to stay there.
            2) You are welcome to stay anywhere in town but I will start/end from Creekside. Most hotels are within walking distance from Creekside.
            3) I know many of you are thinking of leaving Thursday. We will see you there!
            4) I am working on a group dinner location for Saturday night. It will be on your own for Friday.

I am going to post routes this weekend.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will work to get back with you ASAP.
            Thanks,
            B

• #14742 Reply
            Jacob Furgatch
            Participant
              @jake

So is the idea to base out of Bishop? Stay there both Friday and Saturday nights?

• #14743 Reply
              Brandon Wilson
              Keymaster
                @brandon-w

Correct Jake.

• #14744 Reply
                Brandon Wilson
                Keymaster
                  @brandon-w

Ok, I messed up. The cost for the room will go up – as I made my own reservation for the wrong day. Thank you Ron for having my back… guilty of doing too many things at the same time!

I called back and made the change – $ 179.

• #14745 Reply
                  Ron Zablocki
                    @ron-z

I’ve booked my room.

• #14746 Reply
                    Larry Troffer
                    Participant
                      @larry-troffer

I just reserved a room at Creekside Inn.

• #14748 Reply
                      Pete Rissman
                        @thatpete

Will anyone be camping? If so, where?

• #14749 Reply
                          Bill Reitz
                          Participant
                            @bill-r

Pete in all the times the Club has gone on the Fall Colors Ride I don’t think anyone has camped. The group stays in the same hotel so it’s easy to coordinate breakfast and dinner and the Saturday ride departure time. It gets pretty cold in Bishop around October so that’s another reason to sleep in a WARM bed. I hope this helps.

• #14751 Reply
                              Brandon Wilson
                              Keymaster
                                @brandon-w

Bill, if you can believe it – we did have a pair of campers. I believe it was Troy and Michelle who camped down the street at the campground.

• #14750 Reply
                            Pete Rissman
                              @thatpete

Room booked. It’s the Fall Colors ride, so instead of lugging camping gear I’ll bring my little Insta360 camera ~and~ a “real” camera for a change.

I’m going the budget (read: cheap) route and I’ll be staying at the Motel 6. $251.90 total price for both nights including fees and taxes with my AARP discount.

• #14753 Reply
                              Steve Leo
                              Participant
                                @steve

Thought I was the only cheapskate in the group – not!!!! Actually there are 4 of us cheapskates staying at the Red Roof Inn. Special Discount Price on Expedia $223.66 for 2 nights. It is 1/10th of a mile from the Creekside Inn. A 2 minute walk according to Google Maps.

• #14758 Reply
                                  Brandon Wilson
                                  Keymaster
                                    @brandon-w

Sounds good guys. We are all allowed to stay where folks want 🙂 David and I are sharing a room at the creek so that’s how I managed that expense down.

• #14754 Reply
                                  Eric Wolf
                                  Keymaster
                                    @wolf

Thanks Brandon for all of the work you’ve done. This is one of the most beautiful rides on our calendar. Can’t wait!
                                    I have a room at Red Roof Inn also, $223 for the weekend. Two queen beds if someone wants to double up and go even cheaper. Just let me know.

• #14755 Reply
                                    Cruz Guerrero
                                    Participant
                                      @cgi1969

Room booked! This will be our first ride with the group.

• #14757 Reply
                                      Pete Rissman
                                        @thatpete

They say there’s strength in numbers, so I’ve switched my reservation from the Motel 6 to the Red Roof Inn.

Looks like I’ll be riding to S.W. Utah (St. George, Zion, Bryce, Cedar City and ???) on Sept 30 — Oct 3rd, so my butt should be well seasoned for the Fall Colors Ride.

• #14759 Reply
                                        Brandon Wilson
                                        Keymaster
                                          @brandon-w

Ok folks – so I am attaching a few routes I have done in the past, along with the guide to the Eastern Sierras for some ideas if folks want to change it up and do some different rides which I can plan. Let me know your thoughts – maybe we go hard to get further north on day 2 vs. some of the southern routes which I have done a few times. Looking forward to your feedback.

Also, I know of guys headed north on Thursday. Talk about a nice way to break up the long pull.

https://www.bishopvisitor.com/activities/fall-colors/

• #14767 Reply
                                            Ron Zablocki
                                              @ron-z

Hi Brandon – According to your Day 1 route, was your plan to still meetup at Starbucks in Diamond Bar on Friday morning? If so, what is your KSU time for that? And was Bernardino’s in Inyoken still the plan for Fridays’s lunch? I also notice a loop off of Whitney Portal Road which seems to circle a small lake. Is this a nice break stop or such?

• #14768 Reply
                                                Brandon Wilson
                                                Keymaster
                                                  @brandon-w

Hey Ron,

Naw, it was just my route from 2017. I would meet closer out here near Chino off the 71 or 15. That year, I did an in and out at the portal. It was nothing more than an up and down but it was something to see and experience. The geology is crazy. The other stop up the road was at a fishery from the turn of the century. Bummer part is they close super early so we only got to walk around the outside.

Lunch stop is not cemented. I pitched this out to seed some group feedback.

• #14764 Reply
                                              Bill Reitz
                                              Participant
                                                @bill-r

Rock Creek Lake, Convict Lake & Lundy Lakes are all prime spots for seeing color changes also. Lunch at the Whoa Nelli Deli, the Mobil Station just south of Lee Vining, is popular and not real expensive.

• #14769 Reply
                                                Pete Rissman
                                                  @thatpete

Rock Creek Lake, Convict Lake & Lundy Lakes are all prime spots for seeing color changes also. Lunch at the Whoa Nelli Deli, the Mobil Station just south of Lee Vining, is popular and not real expensive.

Growing up as a kid (many many moons ago) our family vacations often included camping at the Lundy Lake Resort. One of my most memorable experiences was hiking up to the May Lundy Mine to watch the bats come out at dusk. I also caught a bat once while fly fishing at dusk on the lake.

I haven’t been back there in more than 50 years and would love to see the lake again.

• #14827 Reply
                                                  Alfred Liceaga
                                                  Participant
                                                    @spaniard

Hello guys, just booked my room at the Red Roof. Planning on bringing my wife on this RIDE. She has never been on a weekend RIDE yet. Just day RIDES. Gonna run out this week and get her some new RIDING gear.

• #14830 Reply
                                                    Steve Leo
                                                    Participant
                                                      @steve

Hi Ron,

Thanks for everything. Jan and I are looking forward to a great weekend. You mentioned to let you know if we have any ideas for Saturday. I think going up over Tioga Pass and into the park would be great. Bill Reitz mentioned on Facebook that appointments are not needed after October 1. It is only 1.5 hours from Bishop to Tuolumne Meadows and it could be beautiful. Can still do Lundy, etc. Remind everyone to bring their National Park passes if you decide to do this.

Whatever the route it is going to be beautiful and fun.

• #14836 Reply
                                                        Ron Zablocki
                                                          @ron-z

Hi Steve – I’m not really doing anything for this, as this is our Keymaster’s (aka Brandon) ride. If Brandon wants I can help plan out a route for Saturday, but this is his thing really.

• #14887 Reply
                                                          Cruz Guerrero
                                                          Participant
                                                            @cgi1969

Al, did you guys make it to this ride?

• #14837 Reply
                                                          Steve Leo
                                                          Participant
                                                            @steve

Sorry for the oversight.

Brandon…..please see my post above!

• #14851 Reply
                                                            Cruz Guerrero
                                                            Participant
                                                              @cgi1969

Brandon, where do you plan to start the ride on Friday. We are in Chino Hills. Thanks

• #14852 Reply
                                                              Brandon Wilson
                                                              Keymaster
                                                                @brandon-w

Hi – KSU will be 8ish from around the Chino/Chino Hills area. Full deets coming in the next day or so.

• #14856 Reply
                                                                Brandon Wilson
                                                                Keymaster
                                                                  @brandon-w

Hi Folks –

I am playing around with Day 2 – here is an idea that takes Pete’s and Steve’s recommendations into account.

Thoughts? Sorry about some of the extra waypoints – keeping the planner on the proper path.

• #14858 Reply
                                                                  Larry Troffer
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    @larry-troffer

Sorry I’ll miss a great weekend, but I have to bail. Hope everyone has a great time.

• #14859 Reply
                                                                    Pete Rissman
                                                                      @thatpete

Here’s another possibility: The shuttle bus season for Devil’s Postpile National Monument has ended for 2021 so we could ride all the way in if we wanted to. That would add around 35 miles to the Saturday route and could be done on the way out or back. The BIG IF is whether the road in will be open. Parts are currently “temporarily closed due to snow” but that could change between now and next weekend.

• #14860 Reply
                                                                      Pete Rissman
                                                                        @thatpete

Yet another possibility: When I travel up 395 I usually stop at the Randsburg General Store for an old fashion ice cream soda or a phosphate at their 100+ year old soda fountain. Yum! The food there is pretty good too, but I usually just stop for something from the fountain.

The Randsburg General Store is 1.1 road miles from 395. This, obviously, would be a Friday or Sunday stop.

https://randsburggeneralstore.com/

• #14861 Reply
                                                                        Pete Rissman
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                          @thatpete

Oops: Randsburg would have to be a Friday stop if we come back via 14 on Sunday.

• #14869 Reply
                                                                          Brandon Wilson
                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                            @brandon-w

Yeah, the Randsburg stop is always a good one – each time I have been there the store has been closed. Regardless it is a fun jaunt 🙂 So close to lunch but might be worth it for the photo op anyway.

• #14871 Reply
                                                                            John Crittenden
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @john-c

I’m looking at possibly taking a ride up to see the Bristlecone Pines, likely on Saturday.
                                                                              Also, another idea for lunch/dinner is Copper Top BBQ in Big Pines. Just a suggestion. So much to do!

• #14874 Reply
                                                                              Pete Rissman
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                @thatpete

So it’s snowing where we’re going (Bishop and parts of the Sat route). Not to worry, though, because it shouldn’t be much more than a dusting and the chance of precipitation drops to <10% tomorrow and 0% Wednesday through next week. In other words, the roads should all be clear and there’s no precip forecast for the duration of our ride.

It will be cold, though. Daytime temps in Bishop will be in the 50s and 60s with nighttime temps in the mid-30s. The coldest temps we should see during our Saturday ride will be in the low 40s and that will only be prior to 10am. After that, 50s and 60s.

To be a Pete who’s frank, that will be a welcome departure from riding in the 90°+ temperatures we’ve been riding in.

That said, I’d like to remind everyone that Mother Nature doesn’t answer to the weather man. 😉

• #14875 Reply
                                                                                Steve Leo
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @steve

Agree with Pete – a dusting of snow today but warming up all week in Mammoth to a high of 63 on Saturday. Bishop shows a high Friday of 71, Saturday of 77 and Sunday 76. Should be a beautiful weekend for riding. No precipitation anywhere in the area after today.

Brandon, do you have your route and stops for the Sunday ride home available?

Another recommendation for dinner on Saturday if you have not already made plans is Whiskey Creek. We eat there all the time on our way home from our Mammoth ski trips and the food is excellent. It is only 2 blocks from the Creekside Inn.

• #14876 Reply
                                                                                  Pete Rissman
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                    @thatpete

Has our Friday morning meet up point been established yet? Last I recall it was only narrowed down to somewhere in the Chino Hills area.

How about Corky’s Kitchen & Bakery just off the 71 on Rancho Valley Drive in Pomona? Lots of good baked stuff and traditional breakfast fare. They also know how to make coffee.

• #14877 Reply
                                                                                    Tom White
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      @tom-w

Still waiting to hear where the Fri. meet up will be. Time would be helpful.

• #14878 Reply
                                                                                      Tom White
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @tom-w

Still waiting to hear where the Fri. meet up will be. Time would be helpful.

• #14879 Reply
                                                                                        Ron Zablocki
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                          @ron-z

Hey all – unfortunately I’m not going to be able to make this ride as I’ll be temporarily bike-less. I’m going to be canceling my reservation at the Creekside Inn shortly. Damn – this is going to be a great ride too! 😢

• #14880 Reply
                                                                                          Brandon Wilson
                                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                                            @brandon-w

Folks –

I am running into some professional conflicts that are placing my ride-lead duties and attendance in jeopardy and have kept me extremely distracted from focusing on these ride plans but they are attached. I need to figure out how to retire like many of you.

What I need – a volunteer to lead the crew leafing on Friday. If I am able to attend, I will likely ride up after noon on Friday.

If I am unable to attend the entire weekend, the routes are attached and I know you all will have a TON of fun. Sorry for this issue but my professional commitments sometimes will trump my personal desires. I am sure you understand.

Thanks, Brandon

• #14885 Reply
                                                                                            John Crittenden
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @john-c

After consulting with Brandon, I can lead up if anyone cares to be at Flo’s by 8:30 a.m., leaving at 9 a.m. Our first stop, also serving as a 2nd meet up point, will be Pilot at Kramer Junction by 10:30 a.m. I know a good number are leaving Thursday, and we’ll see you in Bishop! Can email me ([email protected]) or text (909 239-6305) if needed.

• #14886 Reply
                                                                                              Pete Rissman
                                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                                @thatpete

Packed and ready to go. I plan to get to Flo’s around 7:30 and have breakfast. I haven’t eaten there since the 2019 Planes of Fame Airshow.

• #14888 Reply
                                                                                                Christopher White
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  @chris-w

Hey guys any word on a meet up time and location for Sat mornings take off on this ride?

• #14889 Reply
                                                                                                    Bill Reitz
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @bill-r

Hey Chris, the below info is from the Oct 13th post that Brandon made on this site:

Day 2

• MEET UP 8:30AM (FULL GAS) – Creekside Inn, 725 N Main St, Bishop, CA 93514
                                                                                                      • Rider meeting: 8:45AM
                                                                                                      • KSU time: 9:00 AM

Day 3

• MEET UP 8:30 AM (FULL GAS) – Creekside Inn, 725 N Main St, Bishop, CA 93514
                                                                                                      • Rider meeting: 8:45 AM
                                                                                                      • KSU time: 9:00 AM

IF John isn’t staying at the Creekside the meeting location MAY change for Saturday. Take lots of pix so I can feel bad about missing this ride.

• #14898 Reply
                                                                                                    John Crittenden
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @john-c

Terrific Weekend! Excellent turnout (I believe about 25), beautiful weather.

Thanks to all for being there!

Please send me any of your photos that you would like to place in the Newsletter Article for November.

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                                  Reply To: Fall Colors 2021

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                  Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: