49er Rally – Mariposa 5/23-26/2019 Roll Call

Forums Rides 49er Rally – Mariposa 5/23-26/2019 Roll Call

• Creator
    Topic
  • #10195 Reply
    Karl Wagner
    Participant
      @sharons-hubby

Who is going, when, camping in the stadium field…. etc.
      We are very interested in going back this year, to be confirmed. We will be riding up Friday morning, may do 395 up this time for a change, get some Holy Smoke barbecue in Bishop!!!

Viewing 52 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #10196 Reply
        Bill Reitz
        Participant
          @bill-r

If you go up 395 the closest Sierra crossroad is 120 and that may still be closed due to snow. Better check CalTrans when the date gets close.

• #10198 Reply
          Karl Wagner
          Participant
            @sharons-hubby

Good call Bill, thanks.

• #10208 Reply
            Eric Wolf
            Keymaster
              @wolf

I’m in. Is anyone riding up on Thursday? I’m also signed up for the GS Clinic. Need all the training/help I can get!

• #10211 Reply
              Karl Wagner
              Participant
                @sharons-hubby

Wish we could Eric, but alas not this time. We will be heading up Friday, Sharon and I.

• #10214 Reply
                Bill Allen
                Blocked
                  @lucky

As of right now, I’m 50/50. May is going to be a busy month for me. For those going up 395, they may have to go to Hwy 50 to cross the Sierras. I don’t recall Tioga or Sonora ever opening before Memorial weekend due to the snow pack. Sure, I’m certain it’s happened sometime in history. I prefer to camp “downtown” rather than in the “suburbs” at rallies like this. Closer to the bathrooms. LOL

• #10215 Reply
                  Karl Wagner
                  Participant
                    @sharons-hubby

Let us know if you go up Friday Bill, and if you would allow us the pleasure of riding with you….

• #10217 Reply
                    John Crittenden
                    Participant
                      @john-c

I’m still up in the air—–have to work out/decide on either Lebanon or Mariposa. If Mariposa, I might be able to ride up Thursday with you, Eric.

• #10255 Reply
                      Brandon Wilson
                      Keymaster
                        @brandon-w

Hey Karl,

I will be going. I took the liberty of throwing together the route I am going to take to get there. Looking for a 6AM KSU at Panera in La Canada so we don’t get there as late as we did a few years ago. Route idea attached. I believe Warren and his wife will be riding with me. As I mentioned at the GM yesterday, more are welcome to join.

• #10257 Reply
                        Ron Zablocki
                          @ron-z

I’m in, and have already reserved Fri and Sat nights at the Best Western in Merced.
                          Jessie is also staying at the same motel.

• #10280 Reply
                          Brandon Wilson
                          Keymaster
                            @brandon-w

I added some waypoints to ensure forced track.

• #10282 Reply
                            Alan DeCarr
                            Participant
                              @adecarr

I’m in also and have booked Best Western in Merced for Friday and Saturday. Riding home on Sunday. Brandon has a great route and the 6AM KSU time certainly ensures I miss the OC/LA morning traffic. Still TBD on that leg of the trip as I’m not sure my alarm will ring earlier enough to get me to La Canada by 6 🙂

• #10283 Reply
                              Brandon Wilson
                              Keymaster
                                @brandon-w

Alan, keep me posted and there are some other folks coming up from OC that morning also, and KSU could be a little after 6. If you don’t already have it, my cell is 951*227*1736

• #10284 Reply
                                Karl Wagner
                                Participant
                                  @sharons-hubby

Ok Brandon, are you riding up Friday? Not sure about the 6am start from LaCannada, may be following you. Will see what the crew says here….

• #10285 Reply
                                  Brandon Wilson
                                  Keymaster
                                    @brandon-w

Karl,

Yeah, I am riding up on Friday.

Since we have many folks coming from South County and the more the merrier, what about adjusting to 7AM KSU? If the route starts to drag on and we won’t get there fast enough, there are a few opportunities to break out and hit more highway tarmac to make up some speed if necessary. 7AM KSU sound good for folks who want to ride in the group?

• #10286 Reply
                                    Eric Wolf
                                    Keymaster
                                      @wolf

I’m going up on Thursday so I’ll stake out a spot on the upper field. I’m in the GS class on Friday morning.

• #10287 Reply
                                      Alan DeCarr
                                      Participant
                                        @adecarr

Brandon, I’m in. 7 is good, but I’ll do 6am also if better for the group. Since I’m staying in Merced, I have the option of breaking away to cut off a little time also. Either KSU time you decide on, I’ll see you at Panera.

• #10288 Reply
                                        Brandon Wilson
                                        Keymaster
                                          @brandon-w

Eric, have fun on the track 🙂 Don’t break anything! I want the entire field reserved for us haha 😀

Alan, lets do 7AM – I think that will be good for everyone coming from the south and to get a few more winks before the day. Even for me it will be a few extra zzzz but I always have a hard time sleeping before a camping weekend looking forward to the adventures. I will be there around 6:30 to grab some coffee. I will also let Warren know of the time change.

• #10289 Reply
                                          Ron Zablocki
                                            @ron-z

I’m open to whatever time is deemed best for all.

• #10290 Reply
                                            Bill Allen
                                            Blocked
                                              @lucky

I’m still planning to go. I’ve got to put a rear tire and battery on the Oilhead. Got the tire. Got the battery, which is a PITA to change. I have to remove the fuel tank and oil coolers! What a dumb design. I’m not leaving at o dark thirty, so don’t wait for me at Panera.

• #10291 Reply
                                              Brandon Wilson
                                              Keymaster
                                                @brandon-w

Bill,

Looking forward to hanging with you at the rally. Talk about a PITA for a battery, holy shit!

Ron, I am making it KSU at 7AM.

• #10292 Reply
                                                Ron Zablocki
                                                  @ron-z

Sounds good to me, could always use an extra 1/2 hour of sleep. 😬

• #10293 Reply
                                                  Karl Wagner
                                                  Participant
                                                    @sharons-hubby

7am may be more tenable, the route does have 10 hours of riding time, will see. The later half is road I like best, so we might head straight to Visalia on the 5 and short it slightly. Will update later this week.

• #10303 Reply
                                                    Bill Allen
                                                    Blocked
                                                      @lucky

Doesn’t look like I will be making the 49’er. Movers show up on Thursday.

Sigh…

Have fun all!

• #10304 Reply
                                                      Bill Reitz
                                                      Participant
                                                        @bill-r

Where ya goin’ Bill ??

• #10305 Reply
                                                        Karl Wagner
                                                        Participant
                                                          @sharons-hubby

Awe, Bill Allen……. going to miss you at the rally…..

can I have your Beer Garden coupons….. :0 (no shame!)

Hope the move goes well,,,, like Bill R said, where?

• #10306 Reply
                                                          Karl Wagner
                                                          Participant
                                                            @sharons-hubby

Awe, Bill Allen……. going to miss you at the rally…..

can I have your Beer Garden coupons….. :0 (no shame!)

Hope the move goes well,,,, like Bill R said, where?

• #10307 Reply
                                                            Bill Allen
                                                            Blocked
                                                              @lucky

Hey, Karl Wagner, the last time I gave away my coupons (2 years ago), Rick Catarineau didn’t use them. What a waste! But what you will miss by my absence is noted.
                                                              🙂

Moving 3 miles up the road to a land locked town called Laguna Niguel. I hope the AC works well.

Empty boxes need to be filled. Need to put a rear tire and battery on the Oilhead. I need to put a transmission in the Airhead. Oh yeah, I also have a ton of billable work to get out. Maybe I need to pull a “Dave Eastly” to deal with the stress.
                                                              =8^O

• #10312 Reply
                                                              Brandon Wilson
                                                              Keymaster
                                                                @brandon-w

Sorry, you won’t be making it Bill. Good luck with the move.

• #10313 Reply
                                                                Ron Zablocki
                                                                  @ron-z

The extended weather forecast for next weekend’s 49er Rally does not look good. 😟

• #10315 Reply
                                                                  Brandon Wilson
                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                    @brandon-w

Yeah, looking like 50 percent chance of rain according to my weather app. I am going rain or shine. Good practice for the MOA as we will find rain at some point on that ride I am sure.

• #10319 Reply
                                                                    Ron Zablocki
                                                                      @ron-z

Everyone do their own rain dance and maybe it’ll clear up by then.

• #10320 Reply
                                                                      Karl Wagner
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @sharons-hubby

It’s an Adventure!!! Come on boys, Mariposa or bust!!!

• #10321 Reply
                                                                        Brandon Wilson
                                                                        Keymaster
                                                                          @brandon-w

Other forecasts says slight chance of showers. That’s why the redverz is the ticket!

• #10322 Reply
                                                                          Brandon Wilson
                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                            @brandon-w

For sure Karl. Mariposa or bust!

• #10324 Reply
                                                                            Brandon Wilson
                                                                            Keymaster
                                                                              @brandon-w

I was playing around with an alternate route this morning with some lower elevations and a bit shorter overall route times depending on the weather. Here you go.

• #10326 Reply
                                                                              Brandon Wilson
                                                                              Keymaster
                                                                                @brandon-w

had a few errors on the last one. This one should be a bit better.

• #10335 Reply
                                                                                Jessie Vaca
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @jtb-vaca

see you all on Friday
                                                                                  AOB 7AM right?

• #10336 Reply
                                                                                  Ron Zablocki
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                    @ron-z

KSU @ 7am. 😂

• #10340 Reply
                                                                                    Julito Antolin
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      @julit0

I’m in as well. Got an AirBnB house just north of Mariposa Downtown. Be there on Thursday afternoon. Probably hitting Savoury’s for dinner in town (Mariposa) that night – in case anyone is up for it. I’ll check out the latest route posted from 5/19 – Thanks Brandon. Had ideas of Seqouia National Park, possibly Toll House Road and Auberry…East of Oakhurst by Bass Lake…that said – they’re getting SNOW! Part of Sequoia National (road through) may be closed, etc. My third year going – this may be the wettest – but it should be a great adventure! I’ll confirm with you all if me and my buddy will meet on this group ride – just so there’s no doubt.

• #10341 Reply
                                                                                      Brandon Wilson
                                                                                      Keymaster
                                                                                        @brandon-w

Julito, Ron was checking my routes posted, I might have had some dirt on there. FYI 🙂

• #10342 Reply
                                                                                        Karl Wagner
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          @sharons-hubby

Bradon, Sharon and I are confirmed we will be following you on a bit shorter route later Friday morning. Will keep in touch enroute.

• #10343 Reply
                                                                                          Ron Zablocki
                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                            @ron-z

I have a bit shorter route that I modified from Brandon’s route, but no dirt – I’ll post that this evening.

Glad to see you’re going Julito, I don’t think your GS is afraid of a little dirt. 😉

• #10344 Reply
                                                                                            Ron Zablocki
                                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                              @ron-z

I’ve created 2 alternate lower elevation routes in BaseCamp, that I based on Brandon’s routes:
                                                                                              – 341 miles, about 6.5 hours.
                                                                                              – 370 miles, about 8 hours (more twisty stuff).

We can decide at Panera Bread which to take based on weather conditions.

• #10347 Reply
                                                                                              Brandon Wilson
                                                                                              Keymaster
                                                                                                @brandon-w

Sounds good Karl, please do keep in touch. As far as the camping setup goes, hopefully, the stadium field is not too soggy to support the bikes. I remember it being a bit soft even when no rain in the area for a while. If so, they have many other places to set up base camp.

Eric, since you are camping, can you text me the condition of the stadium field when you get there?

I heard from Warren, he might bail but will let me know based on how the weather forecast shapes up. Depending on who you use for weather, it can vary. Some are rosier than others. Either way a good adventure for all 🙂

• #10350 Reply
                                                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  @sharons-hubby

Will do Brandon.
                                                                                                  .
                                                                                                  Sharon has dialed up a bit more detailed forecast. Looks like it will rain, but lighter showeres with a few thunder strorms rolling through, but not buckets of rain.
                                                                                                  .
                                                                                                  https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.4934&lon=-119.976#.XOQnbchKg2w
                                                                                                  .
                                                                                                  Bring your rain gear, ride conservative, and plan to have an adventure you can tell when you return!

• #10351 Reply
                                                                                                  Karl Wagner
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    @sharons-hubby

If anyone who is going is interested, we are planning the following excursions Sat and Sun in any order:
                                                                                                    .
                                                                                                    1) Ride to Hetch Hetchy, nice ride in and back. A reasonable hike around the lake to a falls and back. A bit more than riding boots needed if interested.
                                                                                                    .
                                                                                                    2) Ride up and around to the East of Bass lake on the Byway Route, Minaretes Rd. Some good views and hike. The GS’s can complete the loop, the last portion is a dirt road. The rest of us need to up and back and take a shorter route on pavement. Can include some hiking also.

• #10352 Reply
                                                                                                    Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                                      @ron-z

Hi Karl – We could be interested, but it’ll be dependent on weather conditions for us.

• #10355 Reply
                                                                                                      Julito Antolin
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        @julit0

Good Day All – So I also realized the group ride is Friday morning…alas, I’ll be sipping warm coffee in a dry, heated house @Mariposa by the time you depart La Canada. I’ll catch you all at the Rally then, Friday evening or Saturday Morning. Have a good ride up.

• #10356 Reply
                                                                                                        Ron Zablocki
                                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                                          @ron-z

So it looks like Friday might be a good day of riding with no rain. So here is a long route I created in BaseCamp that’s based on Brandon’s original route, but no dirt. This is a 377 mile route that will take about 7 hours and 42 minutes – not including stops, and with a 7am KSU it brings us to the Mariposa Fairgrounds around 2:40pm (again with no stops). This may be too long of a route, but thought I’d post it just in case.

• #10360 Reply
                                                                                                          Chris Roady
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            @chris

Have a great trip y’all .. I’m jealous!

• #10361 Reply
                                                                                                            Eric Wolf
                                                                                                            Keymaster
                                                                                                              @wolf

I secured us a camping spot just past the entrance to the stadium (which is still kind of boggy) on the left-hand side. You can see in the photo that I walled it off with picnic tables. Check in with me at the tent on the left. 20$ or a bottle of wine. 😁😁😁

• #10364 Reply
                                                                                                              Brandon Wilson
                                                                                                              Keymaster
                                                                                                                @brandon-w

Well done Marine! Stand guard all night and don’t let a soul pass 😀 See you tomorrow.

• #10366 Reply
                                                                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  @sharons-hubby

Reinforcements deploying a 0700 today…. will hit the beach ths afternoon!

Viewing 52 reply threads
                                                                                                              Reply To: 49er Rally – Mariposa 5/23-26/2019 Roll Call

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                              Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: