Forums Tech Corner Sena vs. Cardo

• Creator
    Topic
  • #19256 Reply
    Torbjorn Corell
    Participant
      @corelltc

Hello,

I have an old Sena 20s and it’s time to upgrade.  Which one is better, Sena or Cardo?

What  model of either manufacturer do you recommend?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #19259 Reply
        Bill Reitz
        Participant
          @bill-r

If you ride with friends that have Sena’s then stick with that brand. The same for Cardo because they don’t talk to each other easily. If you ride alone then the Sena 50S or 50R are the hot setup with the Harman Kardon speakers & Mesh 2. Cardo has a unit with JBL speakers. JBL is owned by Harman Kardon.

• #19260 Reply
          Pete Rissman
            @thatpete

If you want to join into the group chatter on SCBMWRC rides you’ll want to stick with Sena. There are other reasons why I prefer Sena too, and I currently have helmets with current versions of Sena and Cardo installed. I’ll add that I was strictly a Cardo Packtalk Bold user when I bought my BMW and started riding with SCBMWRC and I wasn’t real happy about having to switch at the time, but now I only use the Cardo-equipped helmet when I’m riding with friends riding other brands of bikes and using Cardo communicators, and that’s pretty rare.

The primary reason I prefer Sena is they offer Open Mesh and Cardo doesn’t. With the Open Mesh protocol there’s no pairing involved. You turn on your communicator, activate mesh, select one of 9 channels (SCBMWRC always use channel 1 which is default when you turn the unit on) and ~Voila~, you’re connected to everyone else on that channel. With Cardo units it’s necessary to pair all the units in a group and that can be problematic, especially when you show up right at KSU and everyone is ready to pull out.

I even keep open mesh turned on when I’m riding solo because I can (and often do) exchange greetings and road & traffic information with riders going the opposite direction. Among other things, I think that has saved me from a few speeding tickets. Anyway, that’s not something you can do with a Cardo unit.

Sena’s will also operate in paired mesh mode if privacy is an issue.

Duty calls! Time to go to work.

• #19263 Reply
            Ed Taylor
              @etaylorrisksolutions-inc-com

What is the expected battery life on a Sena 50 when using Mesh.  I seem to be getting about 2 hours max out of a charge.  My Sena 50 is about 2 years old.  I have ordered a new battery that I will install before my next group ride.

I think I have had every integration of Sena’s through the years ( except the 10) and the 50 is the first unit I enjoy owning. The Mesh is the game changer.  I don’t miss the 20 minute “Sena dance” at the beginning of each ride as people try to pair their units.  The start time was KSU + Sena dance time= actual start time.

• #19319 Reply
                Willis Ho
                Participant
                  @willis_ho

I have the Sena 50R, which is much smaller then the 50S.  When I travel around the North America last fall, I ride 800 miles around 14 hours daily.  The battery will last 8 hours, but I plug it in a small powerbank while do a long ride, then there is no range issue.

Sena 50R can be plug-in while using, my older Sena system will not.

• #19287 Reply
                Henry Salari
                Keymaster
                  @goat

Hello, I have an old Sena 20s and it’s time to upgrade. Which one is better, Sena or Cardo? What model of either manufacturer do you recommend?

TC, there’s also an alternative option to make your ancient Sena 20s Mesh capable. I’ve done that with my Schuberth built-in Sena 10u. There’s an adapter you pair with your legacy Sena that makes it Mesh ready. This is the adapter
                  And here’s a demo

Goat Moto Tours -
                  goatmototours.com

• #19291 Reply
                    John Crittenden
                    Participant
                      @john-c

Ed, I was also  having a short battery life on my Sena 50S.  I called the company to check on this, as it was fairly new, and was given instructions on rebooting.   That handled the battery life problem.

• #19288 Reply
                    Henry Salari
                    Keymaster
                      @goat

If you want to join into the group chatter on SCBMWRC rides you’ll want to stick with Sena. There are other reasons why I prefer Sena too, and I currently have helmets with current versions of Sena and Cardo installed. I’ll add that I was strictly a Cardo Packtalk Bold user when I bought my BMW and started riding with SCBMWRC and I wasn’t real happy about having to switch at the time, but now I only use the Cardo-equipped helmet when I’m riding with friends riding other brands of bikes and using Cardo communicators, and that’s pretty rare. The primary reason I prefer Sena is they offer Open Mesh and Cardo doesn’t. With the Open Mesh protocol there’s no pairing involved. You turn on your communicator, activate mesh, select one of 9 channels (SCBMWRC always use channel 1 which is default when you turn the unit on) and ~Voila~, you’re connected to everyone else on that channel. With Cardo units it’s necessary to pair all the units in a group and that can be problematic, especially when you show up right at KSU and everyone is ready to pull out. I even keep open mesh turned on when I’m riding solo because I can (and often do) exchange greetings and road & traffic information with riders going the opposite direction. Among other things, I think that has saved me from a few speeding tickets. Anyway, that’s not something you can do with a Cardo unit. Sena’s will also operate in paired mesh mode if privacy is an issue. Duty calls! Time to go to work.

Cardo does offer Mesh now with other Cardo units. Won’t work in a hybrid environment though.

Goat Moto Tours -
                      goatmototours.com

• #19292 Reply
                      Pete Rissman
                        @thatpete

Cardo has offered mesh for years. In fact, Cardo pioneered mesh in helmet communication and Sena was the late-comer. But Cardo doesn’t offer OPEN mesh meaning you still have to go through a pairing process with the riders you want to yak with.

But not Sena. You can turn on and talk to anyone who is on the same mesh channel — no pairing required.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    Reply To: Sena vs. Cardo

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: