John Crittenden
      Participant
        @john-c

Sounds great, Mark!

• #3447 Reply
        Richard Catarineau
        Keymaster
          @rick-webmaster

Is it on the calendar? If so, can you add links between the 2? (In the Board Members Guide)

• #3449 Reply
            Mark Borgeson
            Participant
              @borgie

I was hoping to get the link fixed before Rick noticed it wasn’t there. Darn.
              OK, it’s done.

• #3451 Reply
            Bill Reitz
            Participant
              @bill-r

Just a heads up, this is from the Bodie website: From U.S. 395 seven miles south of Bridgeport, take State Route 270. Go east 10 miles to the end of the pavement and continue 3 miles on an unsurfaced road to Bodie. The last 3 miles can at times be rough. Reduced speeds are necessary. Call the park if there are any questions about road conditions.
              Not trying to scare anyone away just keep this in mind.

Prices
              Adults: $8 per person
              Only cash or checks are accepted at the Park Entrance Station.

Where is the Bakersfield starting point ? Will need to spend a night there probably.

• #3462 Reply
                Mark Borgeson
                Participant
                  @borgie

Meeting up at Zingo’s Cafe at 3201 Buck Owens Blvd

• #3454 Reply
                Bill Reitz
                Participant
                  @bill-r

I was checking on lodging in Fish Camp, most places are B&B’s but nothing is available for Sept. 16th. I might suggest Oakhurst since there are so many more motels in the town and it’s only about 14 miles away. A bunch of us stayed at the Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn last year on our Sierra’s Ride.

• #3460 Reply
                    Mark Borgeson
                    Participant
                      @borgie

Thanks Bill. I initially thought about staying in Oakhurst. I’ll update the itinerary.

• #3472 Reply
                    Karl Wagner
                    Participant
                      @sharons-hubby

Sounds like a nice ride, hope to make Bodie, best ghost town in CA, heck if we can do ice we can do a bit of sand!

Thanks Mark!

• #3473 Reply
                      Tom Hooper
                      Participant
                        @pokey

Been on the Bodie road on my RT. Hard packed dirt with some washboard and gravel. not difficult if you go slow.

• #3480 Reply
                        Bill Reitz
                        Participant
                          @bill-r

Good job on the planning Mark. If you call Holy Smoke the owner, I forget her name, will reserve seating for the group. She just needs a time of arrival and group size. She treated us very well two years ago and three years ago too. We sat outside once and inside once.

• #3481 Reply
                          Richard Catarineau
                          Keymaster
                            @rick-webmaster

FYI – It’s on the Ride List now.

• #3484 Reply
                            Mark Borgeson
                            Participant
                              @borgie

Rooms in Oakhurst are starting to fill up. This is a popular time of year for Yosemite. I was able to get a room here through Hotwire. 1 room 2 adults 2 queen beds. $150 including taxes:

Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites
                              40644 Highway 41
                              Oakhurst, CA 93644

Besides Oakhurst, Ahwahnee had some availability and is only 5 miles away.

Most places will cancel without a charge so make a reservation soon.

• #3543 Reply
                              Michael Pirosh
                              Participant
                                @mpirosh

Mike Pirosh has all of his reservations and ready to see Yosemite

• #3546 Reply
                                Bill Reitz
                                Participant
                                  @bill-r

Karen & Bill are ready, all nights reserved.

We got a room in Bakersfield Thursday night so we wouldn’t have to make it to Zingo’so early Friday.

In Oakhurst the Comfort Inn Yosemite still has rooms. It’s across the street from the Best Western Yosemite we stayed in last year.

For anyone interested, since this ride starts at 0800 in Bakersfield the Reitz’s, Wetzel’s, & Mr. Pirosh got rooms for Thursday night at the Best Western Hill House at 700 Thruxton in Bakersfield. This means you don’t have to get up SUPER early to make the start time. Let me know if you might do this and we can ride up together Thursday around noon.

• #3638 Reply
                                  Bill Reitz
                                  Participant
                                    @bill-r

It might still be HOT on this ride so check Cycle Gear, they have “Cool Vests” for only $35.00 right now.

• #3645 Reply
                                      Mark Borgeson
                                      Participant
                                        @borgie

Thanks Bill! Cindy & I need some of these.

• #3639 Reply
                                      Karl Wagner
                                      Participant
                                        @sharons-hubby

Ok, heck with this WORK thing….looks like a fun weekend, We are in! Will be at the Yosemite Southgate Friday night and Comfort Inn in Bishop. Anyone blowing up to Bakersfield early Friday morning let us know. Leaving the South Bay around 5:30 am.

Thanks Mark for setting this up!

• #3644 Reply
                                          Mark Borgeson
                                          Participant
                                            @borgie

That’s great news! Glad you two can make it.
                                            Cindy & I are driving up to Bakersfield Thursday late afternoon \ early evening.

• #3646 Reply
                                          Karl Wagner
                                          Participant
                                            @sharons-hubby

Thanks, will coordinate if we end up going up Thursday, otherwise see you Friday morning.

K

• #3663 Reply
                                            Roberto Giraldes
                                            Participant
                                              @beto

Is still there a spot for one more rider on that trip?

• #3665 Reply
                                                Mark Borgeson
                                                Participant
                                                  @borgie

Absolutely! You just need to make hotel arrangements in Oakhurst and Bishop (and maybe Bakersfield).

• #3667 Reply
                                                    Roberto Giraldes
                                                    Participant
                                                      @beto

Hello Mark! I’ve already done hotel arrangements and I intend to drive up to Bakersfield on Thursday early afternoon. My phone # is 949-3574438.
                                                      Thank you so much.

• #3668 Reply
                                                  Bill Reitz
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bill-r

Welcome Roberto to the South Coasters. If you can make it three bikes are riding up to Bakersfield on Thursday leaving at noon from Spaghettini Grill just off the 405 at Seal Beach Blvd on the north west corner. We are staying at the Best Western Hill House.

Anyone else that has the time off is welcome to join us too.

• #3676 Reply
                                                    Larry Troffer
                                                    Participant
                                                      @larry-troffer

I’m in. Reservations at Comfort Inn in Oakhurst and in Bishop. Best Western in Bakersfield on the 15th. Trish is improving every week, but not ready to ride yet. I’m not sure yet what time I can depart on the 15th, but will join the group leaving from Spaghettini if I can. Bill I’ll let you know.

• #3682 Reply
                                                        Mark Borgeson
                                                        Participant
                                                          @borgie

Whoo Hoo! Semper Fi 🙂
                                                          Cindy and I are riding up late afternoon \ early evening if you’re running late.

• #3679 Reply
                                                        Bikram
                                                        Participant
                                                          @bikram

Booked Comfort Inn (9/16) in Oakhurst and in Bishop (9/17).

• #3680 Reply
                                                          Bill Reitz
                                                          Participant
                                                            @bill-r

Alright Roberto. Larry & Bikram we look forward to meeting you at Spaghettini Grill if you can make it. We will LEAVE at noon and travel up the 605 to pick up Diane & Bob near their home.

This is gonna be another epic South Coasters ride !!

• #3681 Reply
                                                            Karl Wagner
                                                            Participant
                                                              @sharons-hubby

Anyone interested meeting at La Canada Panera in the afternoon heading over Little Tujunga Cyn – Sand Canyon – Bouquet Cyn – Spunky Cyn – San Franscito Cyn – up to the 138 – 5 and over the Grape Vine to Bakersfield, let me know. Flexible on departure time in the early afternoon Thursday, but may get into Bakersfield a bit late! :0

• #3683 Reply
                                                              Karl Wagner
                                                              Participant
                                                                @sharons-hubby

Now what would be REALLY cool is if everyone, going or not, indicated that on the “Ride List” to help Mark out in his planning and know who is going. I would enable the ride leader, or any participant for that matter, to see who will be riding and to print off a list of participants with cell phone numbers to arrange meet ups……REALLY COOL feature……but we have to use it……. (do I sound like our Rick C??? Arg)

• #3686 Reply
                                                                Mark Borgeson
                                                                Participant
                                                                  @borgie

Thanks Karl! That would be cool.

From our website, Facebook, and emails, I count 14:

Me and Cindy
                                                                  Karl & Sharon
                                                                  Mike Pirosh
                                                                  Bill & Karen
                                                                  Roberto Giralds
                                                                  Larry Troffer
                                                                  Bikram
                                                                  Wentzel’s
                                                                  Steve & Celia

Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Oakhurst? I haven’t made any arrangements for dinner there yet. We have a fairly big group. A lot of us are staying at the Comfort Inn and Best Western. Walking distance from there would be nice.

Other than Friday dinner, we have…
                                                                  Friday:
                                                                  Breakfast at Zingo’s
                                                                  Lunch at Grant’s Grove
                                                                  Dinner ??

Saturday:
                                                                  Breakfast on your own
                                                                  Lunch in Yosemite Valley
                                                                  Ice cream on June Lake Loop.
                                                                  Dinner at Holy Smoke BBQ

Sunday:
                                                                  Breakfast – lots of choices. Eric Schat’s, Jack’s Waffle Shop, Denny’s …
                                                                  Lunch on the road home.

• #3688 Reply
                                                                  Bill Reitz
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    @bill-r

For an ice cream / rest stop I might recommend the Whoa Nelli Deli on Hwy 120 just before 395 in Lee Vining. I believe you have a stop here already but just in case you don’t. When you go around the June Lake Loop a stop at Silver Lake might be nice. There is a large parking lot next to the lake, it’s on the left and is the second of the chain of lakes you come to.

Attached are some pix from the October 2014 Fall Color Ride stop at Silver Lake.

Sorry for the double post of the trees but I don’t see where to delete an extra image.

• #3693 Reply
                                                                      Mark Borgeson
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @borgie

I’m so glad you’re coming on this trip Bill! We’ll play it by ear and experience.

• #3694 Reply
                                                                      Mark Borgeson
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @borgie

Latest and greatest routes.
                                                                        These GPX files are no good. I’ll upload new ones after the club meeting today.

• #3700 Reply
                                                                        Karl Wagner
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          @sharons-hubby

Looking great Mark, do we really have four days of work between us and this ride……arggg! Ask Erasmo, running Kings Canyon up an back is worth being a bit late for dinner in Oakhurst….wherever we end up going to dinner! So many nice roads……so little time!

• #3703 Reply
                                                                          Roberto Giraldes
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            @beto

Unfortunately I can’t go on this trip. I have a herniated disc and last Thursday I had another crisis while I was working out. I am taking anti inflammatory medicine and I don’t know how my back will react after 6 and 7 hours riding. I really wanted to ride with you all guys and know that places but if I am afraid I could be a problem If my back gets worse. Ride safely and enjoy the trip.

• #3706 Reply
                                                                              Mark Borgeson
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                @borgie

Well that’s too bad. We were all looking forward to riding with you too. I think you made the right decision though. Get better and see you on the next one.

• #3705 Reply
                                                                              Erasmo Brenes
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                @erasmo-b

Yes, I agree. The Kings Canyon route is worth it 🙂

• #3707 Reply
                                                                                Roberto Giraldes
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @beto

Thank you Mark.

• #3708 Reply
                                                                                  Mark Borgeson
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    @borgie

The weather forecast looks FANTASTIC. A slight chance of afternoon rain in Sequoia NP. Other than that, Sunny with daytime temps in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. Perfect.

Thursday – LA, Sunny, 77/61
                                                                                    Thursday – Bakersfield: Sunny, 87/63
                                                                                    Friday – Bakersfield: Sunny, 92/65 (we’ll be out of here before it gets hot)
                                                                                    Friday – Sequoia NP: Mostly Sunny, 20% afternoon rain, 59/39
                                                                                    Friday – Oakhurst: Sunny, 87/59
                                                                                    Saturday – Oakhurst: Sunny, 89/59
                                                                                    Saturday – Yosemite NP, Sunny, 76/54
                                                                                    Saturday – Bishop: Sunny, 81/44
                                                                                    Sunday – Bishop: Sunny, 84/44
                                                                                    Sunday – LA, Partly cloudy, 84/64

• #3710 Reply
                                                                                    Mark Borgeson
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      @borgie

My current count is 7 bikes with 11 riders. I’m assuming the Wagner’s are riding 1 bike because it’s too far for Karl to ride on his own.

We unfortunatley lost Roberto and I haven’t heard from the Bennett’s so I’m not counting them.

• #3711 Reply
                                                                                      Mark Borgeson
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @borgie

My current count is 7 bikes with 11 riders. I’m assuming the Wagner’s are riding 1 bike because it’s too far for Karl to ride on his own.

We unfortunatley lost Roberto and I haven’t heard from the Bennett’s so I’m not counting them.

• #3713 Reply
                                                                                        Bikram
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          @bikram

Leaving from OC on Friday at 3:30ish in the morning, wake up at 2:30ish! Who else is leaving OC on Friday?

• #3718 Reply
                                                                                            Mark Borgeson
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @borgie

Wow, you’re the man.
                                                                                              Cindy & I Are leaving at 4:00pm Thursday if you change your mind.

• #3715 Reply
                                                                                            Karl Wagner
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @sharons-hubby

Yeah Mark, we are one bike, I need Sharon to pinch me every so often to keep me awake! See you Thursday, this is going to be a good weekend!

• #3720 Reply
                                                                                              Mark Borgeson
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                @borgie

Okay, the final GPX files are posted here. Thanks to everyone for the help, especially the Master Router, Bill Reitz.

• #3725 Reply
                                                                                                Bill Reitz
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  @bill-r

Mark I think you’ve done a fantastic job of preparation, thank you. The only thing left to figure is a starting time for Saturday & Sunday morns. Since the hotels have breakfast of some sort I doubt anyone will want to go to a restaurant. I would pick a place, maybe a gas station, and say we leave from here at whatever time.

Oh, what time are the dinners in Oakhurst & Bishop ??

• #3728 Reply
                                                                                                    Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @borgie

I’ll have a handout at the start of the ride with all the info.

Friday starts at Zingo’s, Kick sands up at 8:00am.
                                                                                                      Lunch at Grant’s cove on your own.
                                                                                                      Dinner for 11 at Yosemite Gateway Restaurant, 6:30pm reservations.

Saturday starts at Oakhurst Chevron, 40219 CA-41, Oakhurst, CA 93644, at 8:00am (too early?)
                                                                                                      Lunch at half dome village on your own.
                                                                                                      Dinner for 9 at Holy Smoke BBQ, 6:30pm.

Sunday starts at Bishop Shell, 466 S Main St, Bishop, CA 93514, at 9:00am

• #3726 Reply
                                                                                                    Karl Wagner
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @sharons-hubby

You had better have your own ride date correct!! :0

• #3729 Reply
                                                                                                      Bill Reitz
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        @bill-r

Saturdays 8am start is early but the reward is spending more time in Yosemite so its worth it.

• #3730 Reply
                                                                                                        Karl Wagner
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          @sharons-hubby

Schedule looks great Mark, 8am is not to late of start Saturday, we can wait until Bill gets up……. 🙂

• #3750 Reply
                                                                                                          John Crittenden
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            @john-c

You all have a great and fun and safe journey. Beth and I are taking four days to AZ in the cage!

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                                        Reply To: Sequoia and Yosemite National Park ride

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                        Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: