July 2017 BMW MOA Rally – Salt Lake City

Forums Calendar Events July 2017 BMW MOA Rally – Salt Lake City

• Creator
    Topic
  • #4801 Reply
    Karl Wagner
    Participant
      @sharons-hubby

FYI, SCBMWRC has secured commitment for our own group camping area for this years MOA Rally in Salt Lake City. Over the next 5 months you are going to hear more and more about this rally, because several of us are very excited about going this year. Whether you like rubbing shoulders with over 6,000 other BMW riding people, doing an extended club ride with you South Coaster buddies, seeing all the vendors, deals, seminars, deals, attending the social events, deals, or just want an excuse to ride amazing roads between here and there and back another way!

Make your vacation plans now, attend the May 49er rally to get a small taste of rally life, and come camp or hotel as you like, but we highly recommend you come this year!!

As we get closer to the event we will be formalizing number of attendees, campers, etc. It’s going to be a great riding year!!

PS Did I mention there was AMAZING deals on all kinds of stuff for your BMW and you riding life…

Viewing 71 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
      • #4816 Reply
        Bikram
        Participant
          @bikram

Hi Karl,
          Did we secure any group rate for hotels and number of rooms?

• #4817 Reply
          Bikram
          Participant
            @bikram

I was able to reserve 1 King at Radisson Hotel SLC – Airport. Used BMW MOA group rate for $109/night + taxes. 801-364-5800. No breakfast. Cancel 4PM before day of arrival.

Anyone find anything better or where most are staying, please advise.

• #4821 Reply
            Karl Wagner
            Participant
              @sharons-hubby

Update on the group Rally Camping.

I confirmed with the rally Chartered Camping Chairman that the South Coasters are registered for a Group Area. This means that there will be a dedicated area, within the bigger camping area, which we can all be adjacent to each other.

From my experience at both the 49’er Rally and the last MOA rally, it is SO much more better to be adjacent to the rally events and launching point for any rally activity.

As we get closer to the event I will be getting an updated list of who is camping to proved the rally chairman.

Karl

PS Please look to the rally website for hotel suggestions, any group rates, etc. Thanks

• #4849 Reply
              Bikram
              Participant
                @bikram

Karl, you are correct. It is more fun when you are in the midst of rally and camping. Carry your beer mug anywhere. When you have enough no more drinking and driving just retreat to your campsite. Funny, parties still continue at the campsite. This fun is not there when you are hoteling.

• #4850 Reply
                Bikram
                Participant
                  @bikram

Karl, you are correct. It is more fun when you are in the midst of rally and camping. Carry your beer mug anywhere. When you have enough no more drinking and driving just retreat to your campsite. Funny, parties still continue at the campsite. This fun is not there when you are hoteling.

• #5041 Reply
                  Mike Romo
                  Participant
                    @boots-mcgregor

I want to put my name on the list for the rally. I will be camping, so save me a spot.
                    Will anybody be planning on riding there on Wednesday?
                    I’ll plan on buying my spot this week.

• #5042 Reply
                    Karl Wagner
                    Participant
                      @sharons-hubby

Hi Mike,

I may be doing a long day out Wednesday, spill over to Thursday morning if needed. Is that what you are thinking?

Very soon we will start more detailed planning, likely starting at the club meetings and her on the website. Good to hear you are going!

Karl

• #5044 Reply
                      Chris Roady
                      Participant
                        @chris

I like to make a couple week ride out of rally trips. Since I need to get home quickly after the rally for a trip to Chicago with the Mrs, my tentative plan is to spend a week+ prior to the rally riding surrounding states … primary focus wil be Colorado. Mix of camping/hoteling and often ride alone, but if the itenerary works for others my welcome mat is out 👍🏻

• #5048 Reply
                        David Eastly
                        Participant
                          @dave

I’ll be going, with Nicole possibly flying in to SLC. Camping at the rally, of course. I’d be up for taking the long way there and back too – possibly Moab?

• #5060 Reply
                          Bikram
                          Participant
                            @bikram

2 days to get there (790 miles) stopping at the Salt Flats. 1 day for the return (690 miles). Leaving on Tuesday July 11th at 8:30 AM, and returning on Saturday July 15th, get home at 5 PM.

Haven’t been to Moab before, possibility exist, resulting return on Sunday. Still haven’t lost work vacation day 🙂

• #5688 Reply
                            Jessie Vaca
                            Participant
                              @jtb-vaca

I have a hotel room reserved at Homewood Suites near the fairgrounds if anyone is interested in sharing a room. Let me know

• #5694 Reply
                              Karl Wagner
                              Participant
                                @sharons-hubby

Sharon and I will be leaving Saturday morning July 8, 2017, first night in St. George Utah. Want to start the second day with revisiting Zion in the morning (not dirt roads this time!), maybee cross paths with Mark and Cindy in Zion that morning if our plans align. The we will be heading North to include the highly recommended hwy 12 and hwy 24. We will likely arrive in SLC late Tuesday, stops and routes still being planned, but generally staying East of the 15 in the UT mountains and valley’s up to SLC.

If you are camping at the rally site you can arrive Thursday July 13, 2107 registration begins in the morning, ask for the Chartered Club camping area and then the South Coast BMW Rider Club, or just look for the banner and listen for the Jimmy Buffet music!

Here is who I understand are attending, just to coordinate at the rally and if you want to coordinate rides or other, let us know of any additions or deletions:

– Camping
                                The Honorable John Crittenden
                                Karl and Sharon Wagner
                                Rick Catarineau
                                Lisa Catarineau
                                Mike Romo
                                Chris Roady
                                David & Nicole Eastly
                                Mark & Cindy Borgeson
                                Vernon
                                Vernon Friend
                                Roberto Giraldes
                                Chuck Waychoff
                                Steve Hughson

– Hotel
                                Bikram Mann
                                David Omlar
                                Jesse Vaca

Looks like we have 15 bikes and 18 South Coasters going to the rally
                                , good SCBMWRC showing!

See you in SLC!!

• #5696 Reply
                                John Crittenden
                                Participant
                                  @john-c

Hey, Hey, Hey, what about me? I’ll be camping at the Rally also.

• #5699 Reply
                                  Karl Wagner
                                  Participant
                                    @sharons-hubby

OOPPPPSS! Sorry John….corrected above! Now we have an even Dozen!

• #5702 Reply
                                    Karl Wagner
                                    Participant
                                      @sharons-hubby

Rally Info you might find interesting:

Vendor List: http://www.bmwmoa.org/page/rally_vendors

Daily Activity Schedule: attached

• #5705 Reply
                                      John Crittenden
                                      Participant
                                        @john-c

Thanks a lot, Karl. Now I’ll have to bring more money.

• #5716 Reply
                                        Roberto Giraldes
                                        Participant
                                          @beto

Karl, could you please include my name on the camping list?

• #5719 Reply
                                          Karl Wagner
                                          Participant
                                            @sharons-hubby

Absolutely Roberto!! Great to hear you are going to the Rally!!
                                            K

• #5720 Reply
                                            Roberto Giraldes
                                            Participant
                                              @beto

Thank you Karl!

• #5721 Reply
                                              John Crittenden
                                              Participant
                                                @john-c

This is my proposed route to the Rally, via St. George, Ut 9, 12, 89, etc. We rode 12 many moons ago, and looking forward to the repeat!

• #5724 Reply
                                                Karl Wagner
                                                Participant
                                                  @sharons-hubby

What day are you leaving John?

• #5727 Reply
                                                  Richard Catarineau
                                                  Keymaster
                                                    @rick-webmaster

Karl – that rally schedule is off. Where did it come from?
                                                    First of all, 7/12 is a Wed, not Tues.
                                                    Secondly, the MOA web site says: The Rally opens Thursday, July 13th, at 8:00 am, and ends Sunday, July 16th, at noon.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/page/rallyfaq

• #5728 Reply
                                                    John Crittenden
                                                    Participant
                                                      @john-c

Haven’t figured out date yet, but, likely Tuesday, and take a couple days to get there.

• #5729 Reply
                                                      Karl Wagner
                                                      Participant
                                                        @sharons-hubby

The rally schedule comes from the rally site directly as of two days ago. You are correct, the dates appear to be incorrect. I believe the activities are correct for the day of the week as Wed the volunteers setting up and volunteering throughout the rally will be there. If anyone wants to volunteer, sign up at the rally website, and come on up Wednesday! Sharon and I are volunteering Thursday for registration, so we will be there Wednesday to set up our site and secure the club area.

• #5730 Reply
                                                        Karl Wagner
                                                        Participant
                                                          @sharons-hubby

Picked up the corrected schedule of events from the MOA rally site:

• #5743 Reply
                                                          Richard Catarineau
                                                          Keymaster
                                                            @rick-webmaster

Thanks Karl for the schedule. So the bottom line is still show up Thursday unless you are a volunteer. Tempting…

• #5746 Reply
                                                            Karl Wagner
                                                            Participant
                                                              @sharons-hubby

Yes, worth the four hour commitment if you are going to be in town early! Seems like it with the Wednesday band and one more night at the rally site it was worth it to us!

We are heading out Saturday morning also on our route home, so the early start helps make it worth it.

Karl

• #5751 Reply
                                                              Chuck Waychoff
                                                              Participant
                                                                @chuck-w

Karl – Please add me to the rally camping list as well. Thanks!

• #5755 Reply
                                                                Steve Hughson
                                                                Participant
                                                                  @steve-hughson

HI Karl,
                                                                  Please add me (Steve Hughson) to your camping list as well. I will be traveling up with Chuck Waychoff. Thank you.

• #5756 Reply
                                                                  Richard Catarineau
                                                                  Keymaster
                                                                    @rick-webmaster

I added “MOA Camping” to the Ride List so we can see you is camping at the MOA rally.

• #5758 Reply
                                                                    Karl Wagner
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @sharons-hubby

Updated the list Steve and Chuck, ups the count to 15 bikes and 18 South Coasters attending the MOA Rally in SLC!

• #5795 Reply
                                                                      Bikram
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        @bikram

Has anyone been to Bonneville Salt Flats, I haven’t and interest to see how long it takes to go around and see it.

Looking into options, stay at Wendover or go straight to SLC and make a quick visit from rally and go back to SLC?

• #5796 Reply
                                                                        Karl Wagner
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          @sharons-hubby

Bikram,

Chris Road has been there I believe, may want to ask on our FB page.

K

• #5798 Reply
                                                                          Chris Roady
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            @chris

Bikram, I did a trip through the area last July on my way back from a ride up to Canada. The Flats are only a few hours away from SLC as I recall.

As soon as I got to the point where the pavement ends and the salt begins a couple of vehicles pulled onto the pavement and were COVERED with salt … in the wheel wells, on the sides of the paint, etc. I decided then and there that I wasn’t getting all that salt on my bike. I made a speed run on the pavement that runs along a portion of the Flats, visited the little store and went to SLC. I’m glad I went, but would think twice about exposing your bike to all that salt so far from a quick deep clean.

Attachments:
                                                                          • #5803 Reply
                                                                            Bikram
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @bikram

Thanks Chris for your valuable input. I don’t particularly have much desire to expose my Marino Blue RTW to salt.

• #5822 Reply
                                                                              John Crittenden
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                @john-c

This will not match Mark B’s epic ride, but for me, this will be “epic” —–3000 miles to SLC, Portland, then down the northern Coast of CA. Looking at 12-14 days total, including a couple days at the Rally, and a couple days in Portland visiting my daughter and family. Will be a great summer of riding for many of us!

• #5826 Reply
                                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @sharons-hubby

Looks Great John! Going to be a fun trip!!

• #5827 Reply
                                                                                  Chris Roady
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    @chris

With the wicked weather we’ve been experiencing, I am going to follow John’s lead and keep my ride more West Coast based … just doesn’t seem like a good time to spend the numerous days in AZ & NM. New route pending.

• #5829 Reply
                                                                                    Karl Wagner
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      @sharons-hubby

Tough to pass up the UT route we have been looking at, but please share your route Chris and others going up CA, OR, ID, UT. Will keep an eye on the heat over the next two weeks.

• #5830 Reply
                                                                                      Mark Borgeson
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @borgie

Nice trip John!

• #5835 Reply
                                                                                        Mike Romo
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          @boots-mcgregor

John where will you and Beth be overnighting?
                                                                                          Well you be arriving Wednesday in SLC and volunteering?
                                                                                          Or arriving at the Rally on Thursday?
                                                                                          Maybe I’m out of the loop, but it seems like most are holding their cards close.
                                                                                          I need to know if I’m volunteering or reserving a room or a KOA.

• #5837 Reply
                                                                                          Chris Roady
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            @chris

I’m still going to leave the OC on Thursday morning, 7/6. As far as route, I will revert to my old stand-by of looking at the Butler map in the morning over coffee & breakfast each day to figure it out. No real criteria other than rolling into SLC on 7/13 and getting home by 7/20 +/-

I’m going to try and camp more than my usual goal of 50% camping / 50% hoteling on this trip.

• #5838 Reply
                                                                                            Mark Borgeson
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @borgie

I’m headed out Thursday afternoon, 7/6. So far It’s myself, my wife, and David Omlor. Everyone’s welcome to join us all or part of the way.

We’re taking 7 days to get to the Rally. Visiting Zion, Bryce, Coral Pink Sand Dunes, North Rim of Grand Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, and Dinosaur National Monument. We’re staying in hotels for 1 night in Las Vegas, 3 nights at Mt. Carmel, 2 nights in Moab, and 1 night in Salt Lake City. Attached are the complete details if interested.

Attachments:
                                                                                            • #5843 Reply
                                                                                              John Crittenden
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                @john-c

To answer Mike’s question, this is a solo trip, as way too much riding for Beth. At this time, I have a motel booked in St. George for Wednesday night. Then, ride Thursday to get to SLC by the early evening. My longer riding will be of course after the Rally. Roberto is going with me, probably Brandon, and Rick & Lisa still deciding. So, pick and choose!

• #5849 Reply
                                                                                                Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  @borgie

I’ve never been to a rally before. I’m camping. Do people bring their own meals? Are there food vendors on sight?

• #5850 Reply
                                                                                                  Jessie Vaca
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    @jtb-vaca

Mark it is you choice but there will be food vendors and most importantly beer vendors!

• #5851 Reply
                                                                                                    Jessie Vaca
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      @jtb-vaca

I will be leaving the IE early on the 12th,I however have gotten an invite to stay at the Pestor Palace so I’m cancelling my hotel room

• #5859 Reply
                                                                                                      John Crittenden
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        @john-c

Slight change of plans—–Rick, Lisa, and I will be trekking to Cedar City on Wednesday the 12th, and taking a shorter, although off I-15, route to the Rally. As much as I would like to do the original route through Zion, Bryce, etc., we want to make it to the Rally at a reasonable hour to set up.

Following the Rally, we will then head to Oregon, as originally planned, although Rick and Lisa will break off about 2/3 of the way to go to the California coast, while I continue to Portland.

I believe Roberto and possibly Brandon will also be riding with us to the Rally, and if anyone else wants to join, let me know, and make a reservation for Wednesday night in or near Cedar City (Rick and Lisa).

Here is the route from Cedar City to the Rally:

• #5884 Reply
                                                                                                        Chuck Waychoff
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          @chuck-w

I am planning to leave South County for the rally early on Tuesday July 11. I am looking for somebody that wants to join me for the ride up. (The person that was going to ride with me has a major issue with his bike and it will down for a few weeks at the dealer and thus cannot make the rally) Planning to hit Zion, Cedar Breaks, and Bryce on the way up. Planning to arrive at the rally mid-day or so Thursday where I will be camping.

• #5890 Reply
                                                                                                          Karl Wagner
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            @sharons-hubby

Chuck,

I am not aware of anyone leaving Tuesday, however I believe John Crittenden is leaving Wednesday and David Eastly is leaving Monday. May want to check with them if no one else responds.

Karl

• #5891 Reply
                                                                                                            Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              @borgie

There’s a mobile app for the rally with maps, schedules, etc. It’s a little hard to find. Search for “Crossroads 17” on the app store.

• #5897 Reply
                                                                                                              Chuck Waychoff
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                @chuck-w

Thank you Karl. See you at the rally.

• #5926 Reply
                                                                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  @sharons-hubby

We are one week out from the Rally, I hope everyone who is attending plan is going well!

From the scuttlebut I hear the following departure dates and groups are riding together somewhat.

Thursday July 6, 2017 – Chris R, North through CA, OR, then East to SLC, arrival Thursday
                                                                                                                  Friday July 7, 2017 – Mark & Cindy B, David O, North through UT, then to SLC, Arrival Thursday
                                                                                                                  Saturday July 8, 2017 – Karl & Sharon W, North through UT, then to SLC, arrival Tuesday
                                                                                                                  Monday July 10, 2017 – David E, North through CA, OR then East to SLC, arrival Thursday
                                                                                                                  Tuesday July 11, 2017 – John C, Rick & Lisa C, Mike Romo, Roberto Giraldes, North through UT, then to SLC, arrival Thursday
                                                                                                                  Wednesday July 12, 2017 – Jesse Vaca, North through UT, then to SLC, arrival Thursday

I had not heard when the following were traveling or route:
                                                                                                                  Vernon
                                                                                                                  Vernon Friend
                                                                                                                  Chuck Waychoff
                                                                                                                  Steve Hughson
                                                                                                                  Bikram Mann

I thought this might be informative if anyone would like to do further coordination, looks like we have tha variety of departure dates. Contact information is in the Member Directory, email, and Ride List, phone.

• #5927 Reply
                                                                                                                  Chris Roady
                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                    @chris

Gonna be warm in SLC, I would imagine that is on many of your minds as well. Karl, David E and I have been talking about how nice it would be to have some shade in our group campsite. I have found a cheap 10’x20′ carport type shade on Amazon for a little less than $100. I am going to order one from the road on Monday for 2 day delivery to the campsite on Wednesday. It should be a nice addition to our club campsite! Thought those going would like to know there will be some shade if everything goes as planned.

• #5928 Reply
                                                                                                                    Bikram
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                      @bikram

Made some changes to my itinerary.
                                                                                                                      Sunday, July 9th to Mt. Carmel, UT to meet Mark, Cindy and David, then I will go along with them to Moab, UT
                                                                                                                      Arriving SLC on Wednesday, July 12th. Currently still have my Holiday Inn Express booked.

As a result, I will not be going to the Club Picnic.

• #5930 Reply
                                                                                                                      Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                        @borgie

That’s awesome Chris! I’ll pitch in for the canopy… or should I order a second one?

• #5932 Reply
                                                                                                                        Chris Roady
                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                          @chris

Thanks Mark! I know Karl and Dave are in also, so it should end up being very reasonable! I’m thinking one should be enough!

• #5933 Reply
                                                                                                                          Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            @sharons-hubby

One canopy that size should be enough, unless you want your tent under one! It will be great if the campers chip in, or you may get put out in the sun! 🙂

Several other camp items I might look into at the local Wallmart would be:

– camp ice chest to share
                                                                                                                            – some type of table
                                                                                                                            – other??

I asked the rally orgainizers if they would let a local charity know there would be an opportunity to pick up used camping items at the rally on Sunday. They were checking into it, hope they do. It would be win-win.

If not, I have some friends in the area that might be able to pick it up and donate it.

• #5935 Reply
                                                                                                                            Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              @sharons-hubby

Great to hear Bikram! Should be good fun group!

K

• #5941 Reply
                                                                                                                              Mark Borgeson
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                @borgie

Karl – I do like my personal space but I guess I’ll share a canopy 😉
                                                                                                                                I’ll provide the camp ice chest. I’m using a big ice chest for my shipping container for my camping gear to\from SLC.

• #5942 Reply
                                                                                                                                Karl Wagner
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  @sharons-hubby

Thats great Mark, good thinking!

I knew you would be good to chip in for the canopy…….you somewhat of a Shady guy! :0

Yes, I know really bad!

K

• #5947 Reply
                                                                                                                                  David Eastly
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                    @dave

I’m really looking forward to the Rally and the wandering to and from!
                                                                                                                                    My latest plan is to leave EARLY Sunday and slab it up to St George. Monday through Zion to Escalante on the 12. Stay with friends Tuesday, rally Wednesday, Nicole flies in Thursday, yada yada. My route home is TBD, arriving in Long Beach by Wednesday evening.

D

• #5952 Reply
                                                                                                                                    Bikram
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                      @bikram

My journey to SLC begins Sunday morning passing through many beautiful places. The link will become active tomorrow when I leave.

• #5957 Reply
                                                                                                                                      Mike Romo
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        @boots-mcgregor

John Crittenden, just verifying, you are leaving Wednesday morning,
                                                                                                                                        correct? Have you determined a meeting point yet? I’m really looking forward to this rally, sounds crazy but I’m going to enjoy the downtime.

• #5960 Reply
                                                                                                                                        Richard Catarineau
                                                                                                                                        Keymaster
                                                                                                                                          @rick-webmaster

Mike – it’s KSU 9 AM from the Starbucks on 395 and the 18 (Adelanto). So far it’s Rick, Lisa and John. Wed night we’re staying at the Motel 6 in Cedar City.

• #5961 Reply
                                                                                                                                          Richard Catarineau
                                                                                                                                          Keymaster
                                                                                                                                            @rick-webmaster

Karl, if you’re still taking suggestions for Walmart, I’d love an inflatable pool.

• #5964 Reply
                                                                                                                                            Mike Romo
                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                              @boots-mcgregor

Thanks Rick, I’m meeting John in Chino Hills.
                                                                                                                                              Mike Romo

• #5969 Reply
                                                                                                                                              Bikram
                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                @bikram

Checked-in into Salt Lake City hotel. See ya all tomorrow at the Rally.

• #5973 Reply
                                                                                                                                                Bikram
                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                  @bikram

Left SLC today in the morning and reached home safely in the afternoon. Wishing rally goers a very safe ride back home. Las Vegas was averaging 116, while Baker peeked at 120.2 and Utah in the morning was very cool to about 9:30 – 10 am where I had to remove the my liquid-cooled jacket and put on gerbings for an hour then temp started to rise to on average 104.

• #5974 Reply
                                                                                                                                                  Bill Reitz
                                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                                    @bill-r

You’re still an Iron Butt Rider huh Bikram ?? Glad you made it home safe and look forward to hearing stories of all the goodies you just HAD to have !!

• #6032 Reply
                                                                                                                                                    Richard Catarineau
                                                                                                                                                    Keymaster
                                                                                                                                                      @rick-webmaster

Finally got my MOA Rally pictures up on the site. Some nice ones there of John Crittenden, Mike Romo and the rest of the South Coasters that braved the hot Salt Lake City heat.

MOA Rally Photos (and more)

• #6033 Reply
                                                                                                                                                      John Crittenden
                                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                                        @john-c

Great pics, Rick.

Also, if any attendee wants to write up an account of their Rally or pre- or post- Rally riding, that would be welcome for the next (September) newsletter.

Viewing 71 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                    Reply To: July 2017 BMW MOA Rally – Salt Lake City

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
                                                                                                                                                    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: